Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » DoReMi Regurge

Author Topic: DoReMi Regurge
Stu Jamieson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-20-2012 04:00 PM      Profile for Stu Jamieson   Email Stu Jamieson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it possible to copy content (regurgitate?) off a DoReMi server or TMS? I want to get some ingested ratings tags onto a thumb disk.

|  IP: Logged

Ian Freer
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-20-2012 04:38 PM      Profile for Ian Freer   Email Ian Freer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From the server, with the newest software, yes this is a feature Doremi have recently introduced. There is a software module called 'Content Manager' or something similar I think...

Not sure about the TMS, need more details, such as which TMS you have...

Cheers,
Ian

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-20-2012 09:42 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't that against DCI?

Stu Jamieson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-20-2012 11:17 PM      Profile for Stu Jamieson   Email Stu Jamieson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
^ That's what I suspected.

Thanks Ian, will look at that when I'm back on site. The TMS we have is also DoReMi (is that what you meant or did you need version numbers?)

Ian Freer
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2012 12:56 AM      Profile for Ian Freer   Email Ian Freer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dominic: More than one current DCI server has the ability to export content, so I'm pretty sure there must be no problems with compliance else they wouldn't include that feature. Encrypted content remains encrypted, it doesn't matter what media format the files are on...

Stu: I did mean which brand (Doremi / Cinedigm / Arts Aliance etc). I do not have any recent experience with Doremi TMS so I can't help you there...
Doremi player software version 2.2.3-0 has the Content Manager, not sure if earlier versions do...

NOTE: I have not experienced it myself, but I've been told that on occasion, a DCP exported from server brand X will not always play on server brand Y, perhaps something to do with the different way each brand of servers index the files locally?...

Cheers,
Ian

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 03-23-2012 10:09 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With Doremi you can copy stuff off semi-easily. I haven't tried this "content manager" utility, it might make it super easy.
You have to open a terminal and log in as root. Then mount a usb drive as r/w (mount -o rw,remount /media/usb0). I don't recall the content directory but it's in the /doremi tree and not hard to find. The content is all in folders labelled with the UUID. You find the UUID by adding the content to a playlist, then highlight it and click the magnifying glass. Write down the first set of hex numbers (that's enough in my experience) like c643aed6 or whatever. In terminal, in the folder with the UUID labeled folders, enter "cp -rf c643aed6 and then press "tab", it will fill in the rest of the UUID if it's present (cp is the copy command and -rf copies all files in a folder). Then add the usb drive descriptor (/media/usb0) and return. It should copy with no problems. Note that for any relatively large content (some trailers are in this category) the usb drive must be formatted as NTFS or EXT2. In windows, usb drives don't have the NTFS format option unless you find it in device manager and change its properties to "optimized for performance". Things take a hellacious time to copy though, finished when you get a prompt back in the terminal. You must dismount the usb drive before removing it (umount /media/usb0) or it may be unwritable in windows afterward. Also, you have to use the "safely remove hardware" in windows with an NTFS drive after writing to it.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-23-2012 10:28 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Ian Freer
NOTE: I have not experienced it myself, but I've been told that on occasion, a DCP exported from server brand X will not always play on server brand Y, perhaps something to do with the different way each brand of servers index the files locally?...
Some servers discard the assetmap once ingested.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: