Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » D Cinema - what automation is standard?

Author Topic: D Cinema - what automation is standard?
Andy Frodsham
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2012 08:24 AM      Profile for Andy Frodsham   Email Andy Frodsham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our future planned digital install will comprise a Dolby 750 processor, CSS200 Server and Barco projector.

I am interested to know (dumb question of the century, I know) how much of this gear 'out of the box' is capable of talking to each other and being automated?

I'm particularly interested to know if any extra add-on control cards are required for the server to (for example) control the fader setting of the processor or adjust the format settings (lens zoom pre-sets etc) on the projector?

I do realise that one might need to add extra hardware to control external auditorium features like lighting and masking, but I wondered how much of the more 'internal' features are already ready to automate?

Sorry to be so dense I(as ever)!

|  IP: Logged

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 03-13-2012 10:33 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The projector has to be connected to the server on a tcp/ip network to work at all, otherwise you get a critical error. The server can (in practice it always does) tell the projector to activate a "macro", the projector (once the macro is set up) then selects the required input, colorspace, lens and masking settings, etc. for the format required.
The CP750 can be on the same network (this is the rational way to do it) and then you just send it text commands (easy to set up in the server) to select the input and what film sound format to use (5.1.or 7.1). Then you can also send fader settings to it as required - lower for trailers and higher for features usually.
For other devices (dimmers, masking) you can use the server or projector GPIO with some sort of relay box - or get an Odyssey, Jnior, Ecna, or other automation interface. The GPIO has limited channels available and some RealD systems make other use of the projector GPIO near impossible.

Andy Frodsham
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2012 03:29 PM      Profile for Andy Frodsham   Email Andy Frodsham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Dave.

Do the 'channels' you describe translate to particular pulsed relay functions? For example would a lighting controller with full-up, intermediate and full-down, use three channels?

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 03-13-2012 04:15 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, each GPIO output channel is an open collector transistor that you can switch or pulse on: for most real-world control functions you need an interface that protects that transistor. I don't have the documentation at hand, I think the projector might have 8 output channels... but several of them are "reserved". The server likely has a few GPIO out channels too, I don't know how many with Kodak.

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2012 04:18 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andy,

DSS200, Barco and a CP750, will as Dave intimates, all talk to each other over ethernet, out of the box. You'll have format and fader control over the CP750, and macro control over the barco, as well as basic functions, like lamp and dowser.

DSS200 does have on board GPO relays, I forget how many. I'm always very wary about using them, as it means one is shoving voltage, however small, into ones expensive server. I always prefer to use an external automation interface to control dimmer, masking etc. A good one will give you a proper fire alarm input as well as all the relevant outputs. Doesn't need to be expensive either.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-13-2012 05:19 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pete pretty much nailed it. Note, the Dolby GPIO board is about as far as the "voltage" will get and it is using real relays on it.

I too prefer to use a real automation, my personal favorite are the Strong/Eprad eCNA line. In fact, I let the automation talk to the projector instead of the server direct but the DSS200 is certainly capable of talking direct with the equipment you listed.

Andy Frodsham
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2012 07:52 AM      Profile for Andy Frodsham   Email Andy Frodsham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many thanks to you all, Dave, Pete and Steve. You have clarified the matter greatly - thank you!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: