Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Making your own DCP's (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Making your own DCP's
Paul Gordon
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-09-2012 07:33 AM      Profile for Paul Gordon   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Gordon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone else making homemade DCP's

We have been having some good luck making DCP's for Indy filmmakers or for pacakges of short films that we don't have on 35mm.

I use Adobe media encoder to generate a TIFF sequence from the video (FCP may work for this), then OpenDCP (free download - get the latest version 0.25) which has three steps 1. convert the TIFFs to JPEG2000s 2.package the sequence into an MXF file. 3. Create the final DCP folder.

One thing I have noticed is sometimes that black levels during fades to black between shorts does not fade fully before switching to the next short. Not sure if it has something to do with how the projector reads black or what. Must experiment more.

-paul

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-09-2012 01:03 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wish there was an online tutorial that would break this kind of thing down to where the average person could figure it out. I would just like to make some custom "slides" in DCP format that I could stick into appropriate places..."Welcome to the Roxy" with a picture of the Roxy on it for five seconds or something like that.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 03-09-2012 01:28 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike --

Send me a 1998x1080 (and/or 2048x858) image in some common image format and I'll make the DCP. If you just want a still image that fades in, stays on the screen for a few seconds, then fades out, and can have the logo itself already designed, it is trivial to make the DCP.

Paul Gordon
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-09-2012 01:38 PM      Profile for Paul Gordon   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Gordon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike,

If you have media already in HD and .mov then this program is better for you. Free DCP Builder, lets you take any existing hi-def .mov file and convert it to DCP

Terrence Meiczinger
Film Handler

- posted 03-09-2012 01:59 PM      Profile for Terrence Meiczinger   Author's Homepage   Email Terrence Meiczinger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
I wish there was an online tutorial that would break this kind of thing down to where the average person could figure it out. I would just like to make some custom "slides" in DCP format that I could stick into appropriate places..."Welcome to the Roxy" with a picture of the Roxy on it for five seconds or something like that.
OpenDCP 0.25 can easily make a simple slide or slideshow. Essentially you use OpenDCP to create a JPEG2000 from a TIFF image. You then create an MXF slide of whatever duration. The final step is to create the DCP. Refer to the Wiki.

http://code.google.com/p/opendcp/wiki/Documentation?ts=1331322821&updated=Documentation

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 03-09-2012 02:31 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice feature! Is there any chance of getting the source code to the latest version? The latest that I have found is 0.19.

Terrence Meiczinger
Film Handler

- posted 03-09-2012 03:15 PM      Profile for Terrence Meiczinger   Author's Homepage   Email Terrence Meiczinger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Scott Norwood
Nice feature! Is there any chance of getting the source code to the latest version? The latest that I have found is 0.19.
The pre-compiled binaries are available for OSX, Windows, and Linux. You can find the source code on GitHub, just search for OpenDCP.

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-10-2012 05:10 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use openDCP myself.
Works pretty well. I forgo the GUI though.

Regarding the OP, what color space are you using and what is the projector?

Robert Keeney
Film Handler

- posted 03-10-2012 09:07 PM      Profile for Robert Keeney   Email Robert Keeney   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul:

In the near future, my theater will be converting to digital and I'm curious about creating my own DCP's for showing slides and doing advertisement. My files are in a .Mov file format and you mentioned a program that you can use to convert from mov to DCP. Can you please share the name of that software with me.

Robert

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-10-2012 09:21 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not sure of what Paul's using but ffmpeg is excellent for transcoding just about anything.

Walter Rabey
Film Handler

- posted 03-10-2012 10:49 PM      Profile for Walter Rabey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Robert,

A far better way IMO is to just take your source video stream and scale/crop/add-black-borders to make a DCI compliant image sequence that is DPX/TIFF 2048x858 or 1998x1080. Adobe Premiere works for this. Another (free) alternative that I exclusively use now is avisynth. It will read just about any video stream and write your TIFF's for you. If anyone is interested I can post details on how to get avisynth to work for this. I found it a bit tricky at first but it was well worth the effort.

Edit - Sorry, I missed the post about Free DCP builder, haven't tried it, but it defiantly isn't open source.

Paul Gordon
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-11-2012 10:04 AM      Profile for Paul Gordon   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Gordon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Regarding my fade to black problem.

I'm using a Christie Solaria 2220, with Doremi DCP 2K4

OpenDCP should give me the right colour space.

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-11-2012 01:18 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul,
Perhaps there's something in the newer version of openDCP but I always do the colorspace conversion and gama adjust with imagemagick via a shell script.
I was not aware openDCP did anything to colorspace actively.

Although, depending on what you're seeing. I can't say fo sure. It could just be how the server works.
I've noticed on our Sony's for example that a fade to/from black is still a shade of grey above blanking between content. Very noticeable in 2D.

Terrence Meiczinger
Film Handler

- posted 03-11-2012 01:48 PM      Profile for Terrence Meiczinger   Author's Homepage   Email Terrence Meiczinger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dominic Espinosa
I was not aware openDCP did anything to colorspace actively.
OpenDCP performs an XYZ colorspace transform by default during the JPEG2000 conversion.

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-11-2012 06:42 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well then...I stand corrected. Nifty!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: