Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » CRU Consumer Products (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: CRU Consumer Products
Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 03-05-2012 12:55 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are any of the CRU consumer products compatible with DCinema CRU drives? It would be nice to be able to write advertising DCPs to a mounted drive and then use the same for ingest without having to use the USB interface.

|  IP: Logged

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 03-05-2012 01:00 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes.

You want this thing. This is CRU part #6607-7100-0500. It is the "drive carrier" into which you can install a normal 3.5" SATA hard disk. Actually, SAS disks work, too, but not in D-cinema equipment.

If you want it, the "movedock" USB adapter is also available. CRU part #6603-5701-0900.

To really make things easy, you can buy the "receiving frame" for a desktop computer, which will make it easy to swap the disks between your desktop and the cinema server.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 06-22-2012 01:47 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's time for a larger BACKUP hard drive for my DSS200. 1TB minimum. Any recommendations?

(Somehow this reminds me of the "what kind of oil are you using" threads -- remember those?)

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 06-23-2012 02:54 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Manny Knowles
Somehow this reminds me of the "what kind of oil are you using" threads -- remember those?)

...and sparkplugs, oil filters and the like. Never ends.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 06-23-2012 06:31 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just what are you backing up that is so large? If you have a computer...just FTP the content there (or to one of its HDD).

As for SATA drives. I'm partial to WD and Hitachi, 7200RPM. Since it is a back up and not a RAID...most anything that will hold the information will do. You can even get a 2TB drive.

Manny Knowles

- posted 06-23-2012 11:18 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the advice, Steve - we have accumulated many samples of student work -- a lot of it in 3D -- as well as our own promotional shorts and test materials that we want to keep.

I don't have enough room on any of my hard drives to keep all of this stuff -- so I'd still have to buy a hard drive, in which case, I'd prefer to just put it in a CRU enclosure and call it a day.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 06-23-2012 12:43 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you want to keep it, you don't want it on 'a' hard drive. What happens when (not if) that hard drive fails?

I archive everything that's important to me onto between three and five separate drives located in different places.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 06-23-2012 01:18 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What Frank said. If you actually care about long-term storage, then you want multiple storage formats (including something like LTO tape, which is likely to last longer than any hard disk) in multiple locations and copied to new media on a regular schedule (every five years or so is probably adequate). Make MD5 checksums of everything and store hard copies of the checksums with the files; that way, you will be able to detect data corruption.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 06-23-2012 02:15 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tape is pretty much outdated as a storage medium, and a good high speed and reliable tape backup will cost a fortune for the machine and the tapes for it. Large hard drives are very cheap and easy to replicate.

I have a couple of RAID-enabled NAS fileservers, as well as a number of computers. I back stuff up between them and whenever I replace a machine (or a hard drive) then everything gets onto the new unit from another machine. As machines get "refreshed" regularly when they die off, the backups are always current and tested.

I actually do automatic backups of my important data, like the /home directory on my main desktop computer. Every night at 4am a cron job automatically fires up a couple of instances of rsync and backs up everything that was changed today to the fileservers.

Manny Knowles

- posted 06-23-2012 02:44 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks. I understand backup logic but, in this case, it's not that deep.

I suppose the term "backup" is inappropriate here -- it's really just for a short-term "layover" while I update the software on the DSS200 -- which will erase the RAID -- this material is going back to the DSS after the update is done.

It "would be nice" to have this stuff forever, but it's not the end of the world if they "go away."

BTW is there a way to save the playlists, or am I going to have to rebuild those from scratch?

Kris Verhanneman
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-24-2012 01:54 AM      Profile for Kris Verhanneman   Email Kris Verhanneman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Manny Knowles
BTW is there a way to save the playlists, or am I going to have to rebuild those from scratch?
Simpel answer: no

If I'm wrong I will something also [thumbsup]

Marnix Koster
Film Handler

- posted 06-24-2012 03:39 AM      Profile for Marnix Koster   Email Marnix Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i would simple buy one or two qnap/synology/etc kind of nas device and make a 'backup' on there. The cheap nasses can function as ftp/http/smb etc for a very low price.

If you buy two you can make sync them to each other do you have a backup of you backup.

Steve Guttag

- posted 06-24-2012 06:29 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DSS200 software upgrades do NOT erase anything. It is only if you run the INSTALL disc that you lose your content.

Again, an FTP transfer or CRU will work for bumping the content off and back...it is all a matter of where you have the storage.

Kris Verhanneman
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-24-2012 08:38 AM      Profile for Kris Verhanneman   Email Kris Verhanneman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve,

isn't it better to run a full install?
Okay you loose everything but all the 'junk' is removed also (including local databases, corrupted files, . . .).

Steve Guttag

- posted 06-24-2012 09:26 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have not found full installs to be inherently better than upgrades. They ONLY times I run full installs is if there is a problem I'm trying to clear (very rarely) or if I'm changing drives from say 500GB to 1TB and have to create the RAID.

Honestly, most of my updates now are via remote and those are always "upgrades."

-Steve

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: