Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Film Forum "This Is DCP"

Author Topic: Film Forum "This Is DCP"
Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-04-2012 08:45 AM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Film Forum in New York City is running a series of classic films in Digital format.

From their website:

quote:
Since its inception 25 years ago, Film Forum’s repertory screen has presented classic films in the best possible 35mm prints, premiering nearly 1,000 new prints and restorations along the way. (On this calendar alone, you’ll find forty-five 35mm prints, ten of them spanking new). While we’re more than ever committed to showing classic films on film, the tremendous advances being made in transferring classics to DCP (Digital Cinema Package), the industry standard, just can’t be ignored. The best DCPs scan original negatives at such a high rate that all of the attributes of a photochemically-produced 35mm (or even 70mm) print — the detail, color density, film grain, etc. — are vividly re-created and even exceeded. But is watching a DCP the same experience as watching a film print? The jury is still out, so for this one-week series, we’ve chosen the crème de la crème of classics on DCP and have invited Sony Pictures’ Grover Crisp, one of the true giants of film restoration, to explain things on opening weekend. You be the judge.
If nothing else, this gives a list of some classic movies available in DCP format.

They are showing Dr. Strangelove, Taxi Driver, Guns of Navarone, Bye Bye BIrdie, From Here to Eternity, Five Easy Pieces, Goldfinger, 2001: A Space Odyssey, The Shining, Red Shoes, Searchers, West Side Story and Rear Window.

No mention is made of these being 2k or 4k presentations.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Ogden
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-04-2012 02:33 PM      Profile for Mark Ogden   Email Mark Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dr. Strangelove was 4K. Not sure about everything else.

I'm sure this will all look impressive as hell on the Film Forum's gigantic 12 foot screen [Roll Eyes]

Jock Blakley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-04-2012 03:39 PM      Profile for Jock Blakley   Email Jock Blakley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sony have TAXI DRIVER out in 4K...

Maybe we could repeat the series down here on our 63' screen.

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-04-2012 07:56 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
'Bye Bye Birdie' - oh I love that film! where the heck is the bluray?! You know when the Film Forum has gone over to the darkside ... er Digital projection, the end of 35mm is truly on it's last legs.

Jenn Jennings
Film Handler

- posted 03-05-2012 02:45 PM      Profile for Jenn Jennings   Author's Homepage   Email Jenn Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh you beat me to the post. I thought this was a very interesting sign of the times. It's all part of conditioning folks of this new digital stuff. It'll be interesting to see how many other theatres follow this kind of terminology.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-05-2012 02:54 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Eh, I don't buy the "conditioning" idea. I still think that at least 90% of our moviegoers have no idea that we're not still using film. Nor do they care.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 03-05-2012 03:35 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For me it's a selling point. I put "Digital Cinema" on everything.

I had one family last night who told me they had drive 2 hours one way to come to the show here just because it's Digital Cinema.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-05-2012 07:28 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I don't like to trumpet it out too much for two reasons:

1. Minimize irritating any film purists that happen to be out there;

and

2. Our film picture was really good to start with, so I don't want people showing up, not seeing a heckuvalotta difference and coming out disappointed that they weren't blown away. (They get that feeling often enough from the movies themselves.)

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-06-2012 12:01 AM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yet '2001' and 'West Side Story' in 70mm form still have the upper hand, in terms of audio - the original five front audio mix. Until DCP can encode and present the original pre-1977 70mm and 8-SDDS mixes - I'll be happier.

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-10-2012 05:51 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've noticed that Landmark here in DC (E Street) has a Classic Cinema showcase:

http://www.landmarktheatres.com/flyers/CapitalClassics_2012_0106_0226_web.pdf

as well as a film series called 'Cine Classics' over at the Bow Tie Cinema out at Reston Virginia:

http://www.bowtiecinemas.com/cine-classics-reston.php

given that the E street listings all denote digital projection and all the screens at Reston are DLP - there seems to be quite a few 'classic' films becoming available in DCP form.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-11-2012 07:30 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't read too much into those postings. There is no reason to believe that they are showing DCP versions of anything. Both BluRay and ECinema (like from Emerging Pictures) are often used to show classic movies, not DCP.

When did E-Street go DCinema? They were all film with a couple of A/V projectors for showing BluRays and the like the last time I was in the booth there for a screening.

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-11-2012 11:57 AM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had never heard of ECinema before. As for E Street I know they have one Sony 4K projector setup - it used to be on screen 1, but is now on screen 3.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: