Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Series One digital projector

Author Topic: Series One digital projector
Fred L West
Film Handler

- posted 03-01-2012 08:30 AM      Profile for Fred L West   Email Fred L West   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With our small one screen theatre we're considering a series one projector and would like everyones thoughts. There are a few series one projectors available at a great savings compared to new series 2 and like most small theatre's we have limited options. The projectors I'm wondering about are NEC 2500s and 1600s with Dolby servers. We have a 65' throw and 20' wide screen.

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 03-01-2012 04:21 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome.

NEC 1600C's and 2500's are good units - I've worked with these units before. the 1600C would fit your specs quite nicely.

With Series 1 units, there's a good chance of these being used units your looking at?

Thus, their would be no guarantees on the units.

Big warning is if a light engine fails in these used units, the repair cost would come out the pocket, which isn't at all cheap.

Have a digital qualified tech go through these units prior to purchase. Good luck.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 03-02-2012 01:50 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How much money are we talking about for series I and server?

Most seriesI can have some serious issues with light efficiency, 3D operation and alternative content options (HDMI/HDCP). They certainly represent a dead end for any higher rank screen. For second run or a lower-rank screen, they could be a bargain.

- Carsten

Fred L West
Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2012 07:49 AM      Profile for Fred L West   Email Fred L West   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The S-1 NEC projectors mentioned are used and being replaced to take advantage of the VPF's offered. The asking price for the projectors with servers are between $30,000 and $35,000 with 3D options available. At this point it's all I know about them, no idea how old or condition.
We are a second run house that runs new movie every weekend F-S. We do have a NEC projector for pre movie slides and also use it for indy movies and the few odd movies we've shown.Ours is in the booth and fills the screen nicely. I'm just trying to look at all our options and the series one seems like something that could work for many houses. What would be the best series one to use and what is it they won't do that series two will? I'm not sold on the S-1 idea just feel it should be an option that needs explored.

Fred

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 03-02-2012 11:41 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Fred L West
What would be the best series one to use and what is it they won't do that series two will?
Series 2 units are upgradeable for 4K presentations, whereas Series 1 are not.

Plus, Series 2 are DCI complient to meet VPF deals-why these Series 1 NEC units are up for sale..I've seen the ads for these units up for sale quite a while ago-I think there is a good dozen of these NEC, Series 1 units with server, up for sale.

It's a tradeoff of sorts: what you buy is what you get. It's like buying a computer.

-Monte

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 03-03-2012 08:18 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Series-1 CAN be VPF-DCI compliant, if equipped properly or already retrofitted. One would need to get detailed tech-specs of the unit being ordered to find out about it.

- Carsten

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 03-03-2012 12:08 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
make sure it's a latest series 1 (if it's triple-flash capable you're ok) and updated to all the security requirements for DCI. Besides that, DMDs are the same.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: