Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » DCI spec's in layman's terms

Author Topic: DCI spec's in layman's terms
Robert LaValley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-25-2012 10:28 AM      Profile for Robert LaValley   Email Robert LaValley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was curious. most on here would know or at least be able to pool knowledge on what exactly DCI spec's outline/govern on our industry today. Seems depending on who you ask they could say they require specific equipment right down to what you name your cues/macro's on your servers.. not to mention I have hear rumor the NOC's would be used to enforce DCI spec which sounds a bit to "big brother" if you ask me. so I was curious if someone could enlighten me on your version of DCI spec in layman's terms.

|  IP: Logged

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 02-25-2012 10:38 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We own our equipment outright, so we are not required to have NOC monitoring, and we can name our macros as we see fit.

I have heard (and read) that in a VPF scenario, NOC monitoring is a requirement, but I don't have any first-hand experience with that.

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-25-2012 02:10 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you are collecting VPF as an exhibitor you have to have an integrator performing monitorization because the playout logs need to be correlated to the shows you've had tickets on for. Polling your POS and/or verifying against your box office reports.

Robert LaValley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-25-2012 02:33 PM      Profile for Robert LaValley   Email Robert LaValley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Right about the requirement for NOC monitoring for VPF's but my understanding that is for verification of playout only not actual configuration settings of macro's/cues. right?

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-26-2012 08:56 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While most NOCs probably have the ability, no. It's not a requirement.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 02-26-2012 09:46 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DCI has nothing to do with VPFs or NOCs.

The purpose of DCI is to insure that electronic "content" can be provided in a format that DCI-compliant cinemas can play. It specifies the file format requirements and playback equipment requirements. In theory, at least, any DCI-compliant cinema should be able to play DCI-compliant movies. Conversely, if your cinema is not DCI-compliant in any way, then you have no business complaining if you cannot play DCI-compliant movies. That would be like complaining that your 16mm projector cannot play 35mm prints.

Nothing about DCI requires centralized monitoring or anything of the sort. If you buy the equipment, you can do with it what you want (but be aware that the manuals that come with it do not actually provide all of the information that is needed to install it in a DCI-complaint manner [Razz] ). If you sign up for a VPF deal, there may be additional conditions (which probably will not be discussed here, as most, if not all, VPF deals require the signing of an NDA [Razz] ). But it is entirely possible to sidestep all of this and still have a DCI-compliant cinema.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 02-27-2012 10:01 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure if the file names/macros, etc are "dictated" by the integrator and/or NOC.

Your integrator may use a "clone" of another completed projector as the starting point for yours. If so, then your projector(s) will have the same macros, file names, etc. Only certain variable data within the files will be adjusted on-site, tailored to each of your projectors/cinemas. Examples would include: screen masking, lens settings, color and light output calibration.

Starting with a clone file isn't so bad. It can expedite the setup process, and should you ever need to call for help with an issue, the help desk will be instantly familiar with your setup if it conforms to a "generic model" used by your NOC.

Conversely, the more "unique" your system happens to be, the more time they will need to spend "getting to know it." And, hence, the longer it will take them to help troubleshoot your issue.

So there could be benefits to conforming to their usual model.

But would it be MANDATORY? I dunno.

Is it just the "Big Brother" aspect that turns you off? Is this just a vague concern, or do you have reasons for wanting to do things a certain special way?

Robert LaValley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-28-2012 01:23 AM      Profile for Robert LaValley   Email Robert LaValley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Manny Knowles
Is it just the "Big Brother" aspect that turns you off? Is this just a vague concern, or do you have reasons for wanting to do things a certain special way?
neither. in all honesty I just posted this to get people talking and see what people thought of the spec. as always there is a ton of BS (rumors) and such with anything and it is always interesting to see what everyone's knowledge adds up too. Basically a morbid curiosity of what people think the DCI spec truly is. I figured something useful would come out of posting the question which it has so thanks for peoples responses thus far.

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-28-2012 01:40 AM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott. That's true. And a good point made; DCI is not VPF.
But we did bring up VPF which, you'll not find a VPF deal that doesn't require monitoring because the studios will want that assurance that you're know screwing them.

As far as DCI goes, I think the biggest thing they're doing wrong is worrying about security more than function.
All this b/s about projector enclosure security, and projector/server marriage is stupid considering you could just bypass the enclosure sensors so what's the point?

I can get on board with audio watermarking. Beats having them drop the digital out of your 35mm prints like they were doing.
And CAP code.
And FFS the encryption hasn't been broken yet (surprisingly) though I'm sure someone's come up with a way to do it but is simply too frightened of some crazy Minority Report stuff going down if they revealed it.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: