Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Lumens needed for proper 3D

Author Topic: Lumens needed for proper 3D
Tom Wienholt
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-23-2012 01:16 PM      Profile for Tom Wienholt   Email Tom Wienholt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I will be converting two screens to digital projection with RealD XL 3d systems. Both screens are common height 12'x28' and have a throw of 55'. What lumen requirements are necessary to properly show 3D movies with the RealD XL system?

|  IP: Logged

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-23-2012 05:03 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My math may be wrong but I believe roughly 691 (at the screen) lumens on a screen that size with lens and lightfilters in front of the meter

My bad. I misread your post. That's a good question...any one know what the light loss is through the filter and glasses?
You will also need to know what the loss is through the port glass.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 02-23-2012 05:52 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With those two measurements, I've seen 3K bulbs used for Real D w/XL units at smaller locations using new silver screens.

-Monte

Tom Wienholt
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-23-2012 09:09 PM      Profile for Tom Wienholt   Email Tom Wienholt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Would it be possible to use a 2k bulb with an RealD xl system with this screen size and throw? Or if using a 3k bulb would the z-screen be sufficient? (this would avoid having to modify my ports)

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 02-23-2012 09:58 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is the projector?

Tom Wienholt
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-23-2012 10:04 PM      Profile for Tom Wienholt   Email Tom Wienholt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Basically, we are trying to decide between an NEC1200C and NEC2000C. Since the 1200C is cheaper, we would prefer that system but only if it would be sufficient for 3D using RealD.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 02-23-2012 11:44 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you poked into looking at Christies, or Barcos?

These units do better with light effiency than NEC.

..and into Dolby 3D instead of Real D which you can use your existing screen-no silver screen. Dolby, you own the system outright, but with Real D, a lease is required plus percentage from tix sales heads to Real D.

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 02-24-2012 12:02 AM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The dealer or agency of record needs to do the calculations to let you know your options. There are programs to estimate the needed light in Foot Lamberts and it will guide you to a good choice in projectors.

For sure, you do not want to cut it too close or customers will think they are watching a film in a cinema with Sony equipment.

It's not like film where you can buy a bigger lamphouse. Once you buy it, that's it.

Antti Nayha
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-24-2012 05:36 AM      Profile for Antti Nayha   Email Antti Nayha   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another vote for a white-screen solution! As you probably know, both RealD and MasterImage require a silver screen which pretty much destroys the image quality for both 2D and 3D in my opinion.

Dolby, Panavision or XpanD on a white screen will all give you much better image quality – although compared to RealD XL, these 3D systems do need more lumens from the projector to achieve the required brightness levels. As pointed out by Monte, the NEC isn’t a particularly light-efficient projector. A B-series Barco or a Christie CP2220 would give you much more lumens per watt, allowing you to use smaller lamps and save money in the long run.

Even if you choose to go with a white screen, an existing matte screen might not be a the most cost-effective solution. A new white screen with moderate gain will still give you great image, and will allow you to use smaller lamps (again, returning the cost of the new screen in the long run). Depending on the shape of your auditorium, a 1.4 gain white screen might be a great choice. Or if your screen is curved, you could even go for 1.8.

Personally, I would probably choose XpanD, a 1.4 gain white screen, a Barco DP2K-19B and a 3000 W lamp. I know that active shutter glasses are not very popular in the States… But with Dolby or Panavision, you need about 50 % more light compared to XpanD.

Pardon my little rant there. I do realize that you may have already made the business decision to go with RealD, in which case that wasn’t much help…

Also, expect Steve G. to drop in any minute now and enlighten you about the benefits of anamorphic lenses with your common-height screen. [Wink]

Tom Wienholt
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-25-2012 11:36 AM      Profile for Tom Wienholt   Email Tom Wienholt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't looked into Christies or Barcos. But, since they are known to be more efficient, I will investigate further.

Tom Wienholt
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-07-2012 04:01 PM      Profile for Tom Wienholt   Email Tom Wienholt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After talking to several people from RealD and NEC projector dealers, I was told that an NEC1200C with a RealD XL system would yeild over 6fL on a 2.2 gain 12' x 29' common height silver screen. Can anyone on here confirm this?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: