Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » DSS200 switch input on pause

Author Topic: DSS200 switch input on pause
Marnix Koster
Film Handler

- posted 02-21-2012 12:58 PM      Profile for Marnix Koster   Email Marnix Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I work at a small arthouse cinema and we are busy in making the transistion to a digital installation. It sounds silly but we have a pause in every movie. It is possible with the dss200 to pause the film and switch to the dvi input or is there a way to get the message pause on the screen ?

|  IP: Logged

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 02-21-2012 01:28 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Marnix, welcome to the forum. [Smile] And your question is not a dilly one.

Yes, you can use the pause function on the DSS200 Show Manager and restart it anytime you wish.

To switch inputs you would need to do that on the projector.-OR-

If your installer is smart, he can program serial commands to automatically switch the projector to a DVI input when pause is selected, and resume the show when pause is released. It is a bit complicated to try to explain in a forum post, but it can be done.

Brad or Steve will chime in soon and offer more/better advice. But in short, what you seek to do is very possible.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 02-21-2012 11:44 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use my DSS200 to switch inputs (on my Barco) by simply programming a projector cue where I want the input switch to occur. (In my case, it's so I can run DCP trailers before a feature on HDCam or Bluray.)

You can program a "projector preset" cue to occur in the middle of a feature (or whatever) by using a timing offset. The cue will default to the start of the clip, but you can double-click on it in the timeline (in the Build interface) and adjust the timing offset there. (You'll have to work out the offset beforehand.)

But the DSS200 is going to continue playing, so...

(a) if the pause happens in the middle of a short or a feature, then you'll have to pause and locate the transport back to the point where you want to resume.

...or...

(b) if it happens between "clips" then you could just end that "show" at the transition point, and create a whole new show for the next uninterrupted sequence. You'll have to manually load that show and start it...or if you know what time you want that show to start, you could use the auto-schedule feature. The new show would start with cues that select the appropriate DCI preset on the projector.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 02-22-2012 05:36 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or...

Set one of the GPO terminals to be your "Pause" command and wire the selected GPO terminal to the "Pause" input on the same GPO connector so, in effect you can have the player pause itself.

I normally use an eCNA automation and often have the automation pause the player rather than loading up blanks at the beginning of the "show" (aka SPL).

-Steve

Manny Knowles

- posted 05-19-2012 02:53 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Using the GPIO method, is there a way to define the duration of the pause? Or does the operator have to manually "un-pause" it?

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 05-19-2012 05:54 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Once the DSS200 is on pause, it can not issue further cue commands from itself, I think. You will have to restart manually. Or set an external GPIO timer?

Sony servers LMT200 and LMT300 are the only ones with a dediccated pause feature, including playback of pause-slide CPLs, and automatic (pre)resume.

On the Doremis, you can make a macro including Playback Pause, Delay, Playback Play, which will do the same thing, but if you want a slide during the pause, it needs to be either an internal (custom) projector test-pattern, or you need to switch to DVI for an external source during the pause.

- Carsten

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 05-19-2012 07:08 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The GDC player can self pause/unpause in the same macro with a settable timer.

As to the DSS200...while one may program the length of the pulse on the GPO...it isn't going be the types of times you would want. It would be better to have an external timer to handle an interval or have the device handing the show back to the DCP to trigger the resume.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-20-2012 02:43 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
The solution is to get a proper automation rather than trying to "rig" everything together. [Roll Eyes]

If you're insistent on going ghetto though, send a projector channel or macro change as well as a sound format change, then put a bunch of junk slugs in (they can be trailers) and after your "intermission", put more commands to switch back to the DCP player and just never stop it.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 05-20-2012 05:24 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doremi has a "delay" command that can be handy with it.
I can't remember which one has the capability of showing another DCP (intermission DCP?) while another one is paused though.

Manny Knowles

- posted 05-23-2012 08:29 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going with Brad's idea.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: