Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Has anyone seen The Godfather DCP?

Author Topic: Has anyone seen The Godfather DCP?
Steven J Hart
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-13-2012 09:08 PM      Profile for Steven J Hart   Author's Homepage   Email Steven J Hart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are playing "The Godfather" on February 26th as part of our classic movie series. Paramount has a new DCP edition. I wonder if it's worth the extra $50 bucks to book this instead of just playing the Blu-Ray?

|  IP: Logged

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-14-2012 10:55 AM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I try to avoid watching projected bluray - DCP's have better colour, contrast and sharpness. The DCP edition must be making the rounds since there is a poster for 'The Godfather' being shown on the XD screen over at the Egyptian 24 on March 1st. Since the bluray hidef transfer was done at 4K, I'd also assume the DCP would look closer to the high transfer data rate than bluray resolution.

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-14-2012 11:26 AM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it's anything like the Blu-ray transfer, or the new 35mm print I saw, I'd say yeah, it'll look fantastic.

Robert A. Harris has outdone himself on this one.

AJG

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 02-14-2012 11:38 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen an original dye-transfer print within the last couple of years and can say that it looks better than any of the other options. Not that this is really a surprise. Get one of these from an archive, if possible.

Steven J Hart
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-14-2012 06:55 PM      Profile for Steven J Hart   Author's Homepage   Email Steven J Hart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the input. I booked the DCP version today.

Scott, Paramount told me they don't have a 35mm print available for this date (or maybe at all or maybe just not for us who knows). I can see that the dye transfer print would look great, but I wonder if the optical sound would even come close to that of the DCP version?

Steve

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-14-2012 10:37 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
The 35mm dye transfer prints were SRD. I ran one.

Jock Blakley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-14-2012 10:53 PM      Profile for Jock Blakley   Email Jock Blakley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's an IB print in Australia that we show every now and again. Very nice piece of work... I imagine they'll junk it now they've got the DCP, that's what they did for BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY'S.

(that said, the prints of TIFFANY'S weren't that nice and were too yellow, and the 4K DCP is very very good)

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 02-15-2012 05:32 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
The 35mm dye transfer prints were SRD. I ran one.
Not the originals.

Do _not_ get the 25th anniversary reissue prints. Those are terrible. The recent restoration is good, but the originals from the 1970s are better.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 02-16-2012 12:39 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Question I have is: I ran the original release that summer of 1972 as a first run feature in a changeover house, (obviously, an IB print and mono optical sound) and now hear that the releases comes with a SR-D sound release.

Are these new SR-D releases, a stereo print and wonder how the studio did a stereo mix since the original releases were just in mono?

Steven J Hart
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-16-2012 07:13 AM      Profile for Steven J Hart   Author's Homepage   Email Steven J Hart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recently played True Grit (1969) and it appeared that the studio inserted a stereo track of the opening music but left the rest of the soundtrack alone.

Paul H. Rayton
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-18-2012 11:44 AM      Profile for Paul H. Rayton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On many, MANY older movies, the studios recorded the music tracks in stereo, even if the ultimate release prints (at the time) were to be in mono. Think music from the soundtrack albums, for example. So the stereo masters from much of that era still exist (called "stems", as in parts of the movie), and can be brought back for another go-round, esp. now that stereo sound is almost demanded in every possible version and venue.

There are prints now of "A Clockwork Orange" with full digital stereo audio music, even though that movie never had any stereo playdates when it first came out in 1971. And, IMHO, even though it's a bit "revisionist" to say so, that electronic music sounds amazing in the updated version.

Jeff Taylor
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-18-2012 01:37 PM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many/most major studio productions dating back to the '40's were multi tracks mixed down to mono, so depending on the archiving there's a good chance of recovering something akin to stereo if anyone wanted to.

Jock Blakley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-18-2012 06:37 PM      Profile for Jock Blakley   Email Jock Blakley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The same with the DCP of TAXI DRIVER - the dialogue is the standard mono, but they went back to the multi-track masters for the music , did a 5.1 mix, and it sounds absolutely phenomenal.

Actually the other film that really surprised me was MONTY PYTHON AND THE HOLY GRAIL - the new print we show is in SR-D and they really had a spot of fun (in a good way) with that mix.

And now that they've found the multi-track (or at least stereo) masters for CONAN THE BARBARIAN... [Wink]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: