Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » NEC Focus Memory

Author Topic: NEC Focus Memory
Paul Stevens
Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2012 09:19 AM      Profile for Paul Stevens   Email Paul Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I noticed a random problem with the NEC series 1 & 2 projectors with focus. The projectors can hold focus positions for months until suddenly it is out of focus. Re-saving memory positions after adjusting them back fixes the issue for the moment. I wonder if this is a bug we just have to deal with for now.

|  IP: Logged

Adam Holland
Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2012 09:50 AM      Profile for Adam Holland   Email Adam Holland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had the same issue with my Barco DP3000 a few weeks ago. We are only open Thur-Sun so were turning it off nightly thinking that was the best thing to do, but after we completely lost our lens settings decided to leave it running like the big boys and haven't had that problem, cross our fingers, since.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-12-2012 11:24 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Its rare, but I've seen it happen to every projector.

Paul Stevens
Film Handler

- posted 02-14-2012 08:54 PM      Profile for Paul Stevens   Email Paul Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It happened again today. It effects all formats as well. Not close ether. Also happened once with lens positioning. Another bug for NEC to try and fix.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 02-15-2012 12:19 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Out of curiosity...what are your particulars?

That is, Model of projector, Firmware version (service pack) and lens model.

Justin Gorka
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-18-2012 05:38 PM      Profile for Justin Gorka   Email Justin Gorka   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We've had the same problem for some time now. Seems to be series two NEC's though!

Steve Guttag

- posted 02-18-2012 08:33 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have had NECs definitely go wonky on keeping their lens settings. However, most folks have found that the In-Visions lenses are the worst offenders.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 02-19-2012 12:29 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My Barco (DP2K-32B) loses focus once in a while too - every few weeks. Refocusing and then re-saving the lens files "fixes" it -- although I wouldn't honestly say that the problem is fixed.

Paul -- Looking at the dates on your original post and the 2nd one, it seems like you lost yours again after only 2 days! Is that right?? [Eek!]

Steve Guttag

- posted 02-19-2012 05:06 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Manny,

Make sure you are on the latest software (1.8.85 for Barco). Try saving the lens settings under a different file name and then updating your Macros with the new file name.

-Steve

Manny Knowles

- posted 02-19-2012 02:17 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks [Smile] Will do.

Was that just released? My last firmware update (to 1.7.78) was in late November.

Steve Guttag

- posted 02-19-2012 04:09 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1.8.85 has been around for a little while now. Also, the ICP, for Barco is up to 3.2.340 (will allow HFR stuff, among other things).

If you don't have Communicator 4.5.7 on your PC and 4.5.9 on your Touchpanel, they are due too. 4.5.7 and beyond will allow firmware updates via communicator to the projector, touchpanel and the ICP...it handles all of the projector rebooting too.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 02-19-2012 05:50 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have 12 NEC NC2000C projectors. 10 of them have the inVision lenses; 2 with Minolta lenses. We have never had to refocus the 2 with Minolta lenses and those were installed about 18 months ago. 2-3 of the projectors with inVision lenses need to be focused fairly regularly; the others have had to be refocused from time to time.

I have been told by others that this is a known issue with the inVision lenses.

One thing I've been told as a possible fix is to run both the focus and zoom out to both extremes and then execute your existing lens file. I have had mixed success with this, but it's probably better than rewriting the lens file every time you are out of focus.

Manny Knowles

- posted 05-15-2012 04:49 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Guttag
Make sure you are on the latest software (1.8.85 for Barco). Try saving the lens settings under a different file name and then updating your Macros with the new file name.
Still having issues. I've contacted Barco.

Ray Derrick
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-16-2012 09:15 PM      Profile for Ray Derrick   Email Ray Derrick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have seen this problem with NEC Series I machines but not so far with Series II.

I think the easiest way to fix it (in the case of NEC and if you have access to the DCC software) is to do a lens calibration. It only takes a short amount of time and would save having to spend time trying to refocus each format. This could even be done remotely by your service company.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: