Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » ALBERT NOBBS - 4k? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: ALBERT NOBBS - 4k?
Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-29-2012 02:15 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does ALBERT NOBBS have a 4k version?

|  IP: Logged

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-01-2012 10:56 AM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
you'd think that with more and more features being shot with Red Epic cameras (including this film) that Sony and DLP would release this at the highest resolution. I saw this at the Virginia Film Festival in November and even in 35mm the festival print looked fantastic.

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-01-2012 06:23 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I asked about a 4k version as I saw it shown on a 4K Sony machine and it looked REALLY good. Very clear detail in the closeups, and there were a LOT of closeups in this movie.

I chose not to ask the theatre about 4K as I would most likely get a blank stare and a mumbled answer.

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-07-2012 08:50 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark,

To be honest I've noticed very little difference between 2k DCP and 4k DCP on the 4k projectors.
I find the 4k's to perhaps have a small amount more clarity but since an overwhelming amount of 35mm in the last who knows how many years were processed on lower-than-film resolution intermediates it looks the same as films have most of the time.
The 4k does a nice job of scaling 2k content to the 4k chip which is nice.

To their credit, I honestly think 2D, 3D, 2K, 4K, it all looks better on the Sony excepting only the contrast and dimness on a large screen.
If your screens are small enough the dimness is not at all an issue form a viewing standpoint.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 02-07-2012 08:54 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the file description (in the naming convention) on the HD, which resolution does it show that the file is formatted in?

The majority of all features coming in on HD's that I've seen, have been in 2K only.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 02-08-2012 08:19 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
True 4K movies are not common. What I mean by "true 4K" is that all the imagery is native 4K or higher.

The film scans must be 4K or higher in resolution. All of the DI work must be done at 4K or better. No dropping it down to 2K to speed up certain tasks and then re-inflating it to 4K after the fact. When a digital image is dropped to 2K there's no getting back the 75% of data thrown away in the 4K image. Uprezzing is a waste of time. CGI scenes must be rendered in 4K. Not 2K. Likewise the effects compositing must be done in 4K. Even the motion graphics, opening titles and end credits must be rendered in 4K too -really elements like on screen typography will do more to show off a pixel grid than most other things in a movie.

Regarding the video cameras from Red and others, just because a camera can do 4K doesn't mean that it will be used to record footage in 4K. 4K has quadruple the bandwidth and storage needs of 2K. 4K costs a lot more than 2K. For most movie producers 2K is good enough. After all, it's "DIGITAL."

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 02-08-2012 08:51 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
For most movie producers 2K is good enough. After all, it's "DIGITAL."

Kinda shoots a hole in Sony's goals with their 4K machines since they made so many .. and misleading advertising since they brag about "4K" playback and such, whereas the content is just 2K content scaled up for 4K playback.

..like the old Sega's 32 bit (32X) system and playing 16 bit games through it .. playback is still 16 bit resolution.

Now, the real big question would be: would the movie going public tell the difference between a 2K and 4K presentation without being told, or even shown the file content-what resolution the file was saved in?

I have yet to see a HD for any film that has been saved for 4K playback.

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-08-2012 09:13 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm opening a can of worms here, but even with the announcement of 4K application in home theater setups at the most recent CES - seems very premature and unrealistic even when the studios and the exhibitors in turn have released/presented little to no actual 4K content to date

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 02-08-2012 10:55 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Could be that, as with the beginnings of 4K cinema, SONY is starting up this as well for the home viewers..

...just to get ready when 4K content becomes a reality.

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-08-2012 11:46 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yeah for a mere 25 thousand dollars you could own a home theater 4K projector from Sony (VPL-VW1000ES).

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 02-09-2012 04:51 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/mkt-digitalcinema/resource.latest.bbsccms-assets-mkt-digicinema-latest-4kmovierele aseslisting.shtml#2011

(List of previous, current and future Sony 4k releases)

4k content doesn't seem so overly important to me, though I think it is right that the industry now moves ahead to 4k.

4k pixelspacing, though, is something that does make a difference, though not for the majority of patrons. Sometimes you want to be sitting close to the screen, sometimes you want to be impressed with a picture that fills your field of vision completely. With 35mm/Scope, you had to be very very lucky to have a razorsharp print with excellent steadiness. So rarely that you would prefer a safer viewing distance most of the time. Especially with stadium seating, the front rows have always been B-class options.

Now steadiness and print wear finally is no issue anymore with digital, all we need is resolution/pixel spacing (and microperf) to give the audience that extra kick even when sitting close to the screen.

- Carsten

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 02-09-2012 08:49 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(...duh..no brainer here..."If that ain't a sales pitch to be had...: Buy a SONY to see 4K content..")

All SONY features in 4K .. Other studios got left out to remain in the 2K world.

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-09-2012 10:34 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
^ I thought both 'Girl with the Dragon Tattoo' and 'Battle LA' were released in 4K DLP

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 02-09-2012 11:50 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
4K content can be played through both 4k DLP and 4k LCoS systems.

Content has no choice since it's just a file.

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-11-2012 11:58 AM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've noticed a lot of tent-poles are becoming 4K lately.
WB and PAR to name a couple have put out 4K features. Obviously not as prolifically as Sony.

And there are 5.3k intermediates in use now. Looking at mainstream releases on IMDB you'll start seeing more and more high-res intermediates in use.

About 2 years ago I spoke with a Sony exec pretty high up from Japan who addressed the issue of content by stating they were changing more and more of their production equipment to be capable of producing 4k content from camera to release dcp.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: