Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » SAMSARA not in 70mm - only 4K digital (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: SAMSARA not in 70mm - only 4K digital
Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 01-28-2012 01:40 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
SAMSARA was world premiered at the Toronto Film Festival but not in 70mm. The film was shot in 65mm but the showing in Toronto was in 4K digital. I am sure some 35mm prints will be made but no 70mm printing is planned. Most of the theatrical showing will be in 4K digital. The movie will probably be shown in large cities such as Los Angeles, New York, San Francisco, London, Tokyo as well as film festivals around the world. SAMSARA was created by Ron Fricke and his first film, BARAKA played in Hawaii but only at the Hawaii Film Festival and that is where I saw it, It was in 35mm with mono sound and the print was badly scratched.

Like BARAKA, SAMSARA will eventually will be released on Blue Ray and DVD and I cannot wait for it to come out and I know it will be just as gorgeous as the other film on BD..

-Claude

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-28-2012 04:22 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

I would take a 70mm setup and install at a local theater at my cost if they would strike 5/70 prints of this.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 01-28-2012 05:24 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'l talk to Mark and see if he'll strike a print for you. [Big Grin]

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 01-28-2012 08:19 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Boo! Hiss!

At least make some 70mm prints for NYC and LA and then let them tour the rest of the country. Ideally, there should be both mag and DTS prints to maximize the number of venues that can show it in 70mm.

Jim Henk
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-28-2012 10:49 PM      Profile for Jim Henk   Email Jim Henk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd go multiple nights!

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-28-2012 11:55 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ideally it's best to see this as it was filmed in 65mm, but the 4K does have the advantage that it features 7.1 sound

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 01-29-2012 10:03 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I imagine the 4K imagery will be really sharp and colorful, but it would still be even better if the movie was shown on 70mm.

Digital projection needs at least another generation or so of improvements with native resolution and contrast before it can surpass 35mm done right much less aspire to take on native 65mm imagery projected on 70mm. When systems can jump up to 8K and the black levels can get sufficiently deep then digital in commercial cinema will have the capability to impress audiences and deliver something people can't have in their home theaters.

Paul Thomas Anderson's upcoming movie, The Master, poses a similar problem. He reportedly filmed the movie using the same Panavision 65mm camera system used on Samsara. But there is a question on whether the release will have any 70mm prints.

Sean Weitzel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-29-2012 10:51 AM      Profile for Sean Weitzel   Email Sean Weitzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't think it was possible to stripe and sound mag anymore. Something to do with the EPA and the chemicals that go into the striping compounds. I'd settle for a DTS track. [Smile]

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 01-29-2012 11:42 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With the newer "Datasat" players it's possible to use the 70mm DTS time code to sync to higher quality audio formats on the hard disc, like uncompressed 24-bit 96kHz 7.1 audio or even something better than that if the unit was upgraded.

Daniel Schulz
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-29-2012 11:53 AM      Profile for Daniel Schulz   Author's Homepage   Email Daniel Schulz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We could certainly do 7.1 (or more!) channels in Datasat Digital Sound with a 70mm print, but unfortunately can't do uncompressed or lossless. There will be a Datasat soundtrack on the 35mm prints, and my understanding is they've not thrown in the towel yet on the 70mm; I'm hopeful that in the end they'll decide to strike 1 or 2 70mm prints.

Brian Guckian
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-29-2012 12:17 PM      Profile for Brian Guckian   Email Brian Guckian   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As they went the DI route I think that makes striking prints very difficult. Really they would have to go back and cut the negative and somebody would have to finance that. Perhaps one could look at a filmout from a CRT recorder but even if that were affordable it would probably negate the advantages of shooting in 65mm in the first place.

I think once they decided to do a DI that was the end of the print option.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 01-29-2012 12:29 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brian Guckian
As they went the DI route I think that makes striking prints very difficult.
When they did the 8K digital intermediate of Baraka they created an archival 70mm print from it.

quote: Daniel Schulz
We could certainly do 7.1 (or more!) channels in Datasat Digital Sound with a 70mm print, but unfortunately can't do uncompressed or lossless.
The data sheet on the AP20 says it can decode DTS HD Master Audio. Is it only able to do that from a source on something like Blu-ray?

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-29-2012 01:04 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The AP20 does not handle DTS/Datasat tracks directly...it is strictly a DSP based cinema processor. It would team with an XD20 for handing film digital. And with that any 70mm prints could have up to 16-channels of sound if one desired.

And mag prints are certainly possible though less desirable at this point except for the cost of a 1-off.

It would be a shame for a movie to be shot in 65mm and not released in 70mm. The film out should not go through a 4K DI though as it will not let the 70mm print show all of the detail in the negative.

I'm sure the AFI/Silver would be willing and able to run the 70mm print in the DC area if it existed...they can handle mag or DTS and are planning a 70mm festival this year anyway.

-Steve

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-29-2012 03:03 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DKP Imax has the capability to scan to 70mm for some silly reason [Smile]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-29-2012 03:47 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
When they did the 8K digital intermediate of Baraka they created an archival 70mm print from it.
You sure about that? What is your source? That is not what I was told by one of the guys involved.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: