Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » DCP Sweep tone Sound tests

Author Topic: DCP Sweep tone Sound tests
Larry Zuverink
Film Handler

- posted 01-26-2012 05:04 PM      Profile for Larry Zuverink   Email Larry Zuverink   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know of one? I really didn't want to make my own but I have not found one anywhere.

|  IP: Logged

Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-27-2012 08:32 AM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know of one either, but the USL JSD-100 has an internal generator that will do a sweep, individual tones, or pink noise.

Test content like you propose, however, would be very useful. Fox and WGBH have put together a DCP for the movie Sintel that includes HI and VI-N tracks plus closed captioning. I use it a lot to test installed systems. USL has copies available on 16GB flash drives.

Harold

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 01-27-2012 08:51 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This should not be too hard to make with a simple log sweep. What duration? Do you want each channel played separately or all channels at once? All 16 channels? Levels at -20dBFS or somewhere else?

Paul H. Rayton
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-27-2012 07:11 PM      Profile for Paul H. Rayton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My somewhat "antique" QuVis Cinema Player came with a pre-loaded set of tests, including several entitled "Rotating Sweep", in 5.1, 6.1, 7.1, and even 8.1 configurations. (8.1 is LS and RS together, equal level, for what would have been compliant with Dolby's "Surround EX" modes.)

It works just fine, my only complaint being that perhaps the sweep through the frequencies goes a bit quicker than I'd like. You get one pass through all speakers in the selected mode, and requires starting again if you want to repeat it again. I've not found an "auto-repeat" setting in there.

I'm not sure of the original maker -- Quvis?, but I could download it out of there, if anyone wants to try to play with it. I think that what I'd end up with, coming out of the player, would be a "QCC" file, which may only work on other Quvis machines, but I'd be willing to give it a whirl...

And there are two other sets of tests on the machine, too: pink noise, and channel ID sets, also in the multiple formats listed above. Are manufacturers not bothering to put on any diagnostic testing files on their systems any more?

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-27-2012 09:12 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
GDC has sweep tone files available

Larry Zuverink
Film Handler

- posted 01-29-2012 08:40 PM      Profile for Larry Zuverink   Email Larry Zuverink   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Gordon, I'll check out if any of my cohorts that work with GDC have them. I wish someone would just put together a good package other than the over priced smpte package. I have such a collection of trailers, policy adds, and multiple brand server test. It would be nice to have one nice over all package.

Jason Raftery
Film Handler

- posted 01-29-2012 10:56 PM      Profile for Jason Raftery   Email Jason Raftery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm surprised Dolby hasn't come out with an updated version of Jiffy for digital cinema.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 01-31-2012 01:17 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Post House 'Bewegte Bilder' has a DCP with a full set of test tones for all kind of tests and adjustments.

However, you have to register on their DirectCinema Site to access it. That, however, will also enable access to their full trailer library.

- Carsten

Larry Zuverink
Film Handler

- posted 02-10-2012 07:14 AM      Profile for Larry Zuverink   Email Larry Zuverink   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Got a copy of dolby Sweep tones. Thanks Everyone

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: