Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Slow transition to digital (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Slow transition to digital
Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 01-25-2012 02:44 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From reading about your theatre operations, most of you seem to have just about converted over to digital . As far as I can tell,the Regal Pearl Highland Theatres in Pearl City near where I live also have switched over completely to digital with Sony 4K systems. I am sure their Dole Cannery and Windward Mall in Honolulu and Kaneohe has too as well as as their other theatres in Hawaii. For some reason, Regal International seem to be taking their time converting their Consolidated Theatres here in Hawaii to digital. Of all of their eighteen auditoriums, at their flagship theatre, the Ward Centre, only four of their houses has digital, Most of their other theatres on Oahu each has only one except the Mililani which has two . The Koko Marina 8 and the Koolau 10 has none. They both have a 3-D auditorium but uses the Technicolor film system.

I wonder if Reading is also holding back with digital projection at their other theatre operations in the other parts of the U.S. and the world? It is mind boggling when I think about the how much Reading will have to spend converting over all of their film houses to digital at the same time when they are forced to do so when film is replaced with digital.

Are there any other major chains dragging their feet converting to digital that you know of?

-Claude

|  IP: Logged

Victor Liorentas
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-25-2012 02:59 PM      Profile for Victor Liorentas   Email Victor Liorentas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes some are certainly waiting.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 01-25-2012 03:31 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Probably economics, priority and lastly, VPF deals to secure - very costly to do a sudden full conversion, esp with Real D to add in which includes installations of silver screens, and these alone are not cheap in themselves.

Carmike took the plunge early to do a full conversion since they got ahead before the economic dive in 2008.

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-25-2012 04:17 PM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...leaving Carmike with a bunch of Series 1 projectors which are considered by some almost obsolete in the new electronic world of cinema. In the 35mm days, that would have not been the case.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 01-25-2012 04:40 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dunno. The fact that some converted earlier doesn't mean the others are 'slow'. We're only half way through the transition. I would consider 2013/2014 conversions als 'slow'. After introduction of series II projectors, we are currently in a technical transition phase again - IMB, 4k, upcoming laser light sources, >5.1 sound installations. I would think it is not a bad idea to consider your options carefully before you buy.

- Carsten

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 01-25-2012 04:57 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your mention of laser light sources interests me. Does that mean that at some point we'll be changing out the xenon bulbs that we have now and replacing them with some kind of a "laser pack"?

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 01-25-2012 05:15 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Laser Projection would be a whole different animal - a completely new projection design using lasers as the direct source of light ..as mentioned in this previous post.

Then, the concept of projectorless OLED displays, et.al. - anything to eliminate the projector all together.

With this digital stuff, it looks like a whole new "can of stinky worms" has been opened up where the dollar bill will always be chased to keep up with the advancing technology where one technology will always outdo the other.

(remember I8088, 286,386,486,et.al.? looks like digital is heading in the same direction as with the computers: never ending advancements and just more to spend monies on..)

This will definitely do some serious separation or forced conversions for the cinema owners-a choice will have to be made: to buy, or to head to lease agreements.

..to where it looks like they should have left film alone...and I'm building four film prints today... [Smile]

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-25-2012 05:31 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If enough theaters stay with film, even a good bit of just one major chain, the studios will HAVE to continue producing film prints. Remember red light readers? Remember when the "new" Star Wars fick was only goin to go to digital screens?

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 01-25-2012 05:59 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I made a error when I started this thread. The chain that owns Consolidated Theatres in Hawaii is Reading International and not Regal International. I read my thread again and discovered the error.

-Claude

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 01-25-2012 06:11 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think that before we see widespread deployment of laser projection we will see a transition to high-output LED modules as the next light source. Prototypes of these are already in development. These LED modules will replace the present xenon lamps. I'm pretty sure we'll see field deployment of this in just the next couple of years.

Victor Liorentas
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-25-2012 06:38 PM      Profile for Victor Liorentas   Email Victor Liorentas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One amazing thing about the Runco LED home theater projectors is the speed of the LED! Single chip DLP without need of a color wheel!
The latest model looked better than any DLP I have seen in a commercial theater!
On a 100 inch screen that is. With top of the line stuff behind it.
One problem right now is they cannot go much bigger because the LED lights are not strong enough.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 01-25-2012 11:00 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can almost see a good number of years before these LED modules needs replacing...but as with LED's, light output will have to be closely monitored since with LED's fade with age.

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-26-2012 12:38 AM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here in Bakersfield, the Regal Edwards Marketplace 14 finished going all digital about two weeks ago. SO they have 1 theatre with an NEC 2K (Real-D XL), 5 screens with Sony 4K (set to 2-lens 2-K for BOTH 2-D and 3-D), and the 8 newest screens are all Sony 4K 2-D.

The late-run Starplex 6 ($1.00 before 6p, $1.50 after) is also 100 percent digital, with 4 screens featuring Real-D XL.

feet dragging is going on with the other theatres. Maya Cinemas 16 (a tiny chain with only one other theatre in Salinas) has digital in only 3 theatres, the same number when they first opened (all with Dolby 3-D, 1 with two rows of D-BOX Motion code seats).

The Reading 16 Cinemas has only two digital screens (both Dolby 3-D). Strangely, these auditoriums use common height masking when in 3-D mode, and common width when in 2-D mode!)

A discount theatre in a banrupt mall is a former UA 10 (now Regency). It is all 35mm with one Technicolor 3-D screen.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 01-26-2012 05:29 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As discussed before, there are very different ways to implement laser technology for cinema projection. Barco, e.g. recently announced their solution as a drop-in replacment light source for their existing DLP projectors. Completely redesigned projectors may utilize laser light sources more specifically, like e.g. the Kodak/IMAX approach.

There are a couple of high-power RGB solid-state laser sources available, e.g. Sony makes stackable RGB packs. So wether LED or Laser might not make such a big difference. For power stacking, Laser is easier to implement.

Whatever - when Series II came out, I thought that would set the gold standard for at least 5 years or so, including the later 4k variants. However, it is moving fast to IMB, HFR, laser, and possibly other 3D solutions as well. Not a bad idea to wait a little longer with your investment, as long as you're still supplied with 35mm or you don't miss your VPF deal.

- Carsten

Mike Frese
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-26-2012 09:52 AM      Profile for Mike Frese   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Frese   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Claude S. Ayakawa
Are there any other major chains dragging their feet converting to digital that you know of?
None in the Midwest.

Claude I would factor in geography why Hawaii might be slower in the conversion. Much more costly to get equipment there.

In my market, we are the only first run not converted. 38 screens out of 42 converted. 3 different companies operating 4 locations. The largest of the 3 is Hollywood, then Goodrich, then B&B.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: