Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » NEC NC1200C Workable Screen Size

Author Topic: NEC NC1200C Workable Screen Size
Stephen Frazza
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-17-2012 02:37 PM      Profile for Stephen Frazza   Author's Homepage   Email Stephen Frazza   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My bosses (owners) are looking at getting a couple NEC NC1200C for some of our smaller screens. I know NEC's says it is good for screens up to 46ft, but I was hoping to get some input from anyone actually using them as to what size screen they are using it for and how it looks. Realistically what size screen is it best for.

Also if anyone is using it for 3d and on what size screen. Again just curious as to what size it could handle for 3d in the real world.

I have already read everything in the forums on the NEC's but any other input is appreciated. Thanks

|  IP: Logged

Antti Nayha
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-17-2012 03:03 PM      Profile for Antti Nayha   Email Antti Nayha   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is your screen a common-height or common-width type? What’s your screen gain? Which 3D system would you be using?

There are a lot of variables that go into it…

Stephen Frazza
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-17-2012 04:03 PM      Profile for Stephen Frazza   Author's Homepage   Email Stephen Frazza   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We were looking at 4 or 5 screens. All but 1 are common height with a length of between 24 to 32 ft for scope and 1 is common width which is about 26 ft. (numbers are off the top of my head)

We are using RealD for 3d and probably would have only put that one 1 maybe 2 of the screens and if we did we would be putting in whatever silver screen that would be necessary and appropriate for that screen.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-17-2012 06:51 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is really difficult to answer without knowing which screens will be 3D...your smaller screens will work with the 1200 but the largest will not hit spec or not be able to hold it for the duration of the lamp's life (2KW max, 9000 lumens max).

Presuming the big theatre gets Real-D...then even with an XL box, you would put out a dark 3D image though you could hit "spec" of 4.5 fL in the center or even "XBRIGHT" of 6.0 in the center. I still recommend for flat silver screens shooting for 7.8fL in the center.

-Steve

Stephen Frazza
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-19-2012 07:41 PM      Profile for Stephen Frazza   Author's Homepage   Email Stephen Frazza   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Forgetting 3D for a minute, I guess what I was really asking was feedback from anyone using a NEC NC1200C and as to what size screen the were using it on, and to see if they were happy with the picture and its brightness.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-20-2012 06:26 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stephen,

This is really a math problem, plain and simple. The maximum lamp in the 1200C is 2KW. The brightest lamp in the 1200C is the DXL-20SCN3. It tops out at 9000 lumens with the right lens zoomed to maximum.

So, if your calculations need over 9000 lumens (or even if they are close to it), then it is not adequate, if you need less, then it is a sufficient projector. The 1200C and the 2000C are nearly identical except for the Lamp Power Supply (LPS).

-Steve

Pietro Clarici
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-20-2012 11:54 AM      Profile for Pietro Clarici   Author's Homepage   Email Pietro Clarici   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just out of curiosity, would it be possibile to "upgrade" the 1200C by changing the power supply to accomodate 4kW lamps and uploading the right firmware?
I don't think there's an official way to do this (at least, that's what I'm told by NEC Italy), but I was wondering if everything else (lamp house, cooling...) was up to the task.

Edit: Stephen, just saw your request. We have three 1200C, two on CIH 6.5m (21ft) screens, and one on a CIH 8m (26ft) screen, all of them matt white.
We show 3D from time to time with XpanD on the smaller ones, and although I don't have any numbers, they subjectively look good even in Scope and at half lamp life. No problems at all for 2D.

Stephen Frazza
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-21-2012 12:17 AM      Profile for Stephen Frazza   Author's Homepage   Email Stephen Frazza   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pietro - thank you very much for your input and opinion it is what I was looking for.

And Steve, thank you also, I hadn't really thought of looking at it like that but I am now going to do the math.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: