Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » KDM question

Author Topic: KDM question
Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 12-31-2011 02:06 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In loading an updated kdm for a movie I found that we'd only received one for a ccap version of the movie. But this movie's ccap file is ~600 kb and I'm certain uses the non-ccap file for its picture/sound. So the server shows that everything in the playlist has kdm's since I changed it to use the ccap file. Is this likely to work? I was thinking there could be a hangup with it actually using the other file for picture since the kdm for that file expired a little while ago.

Edit: can't seem to delete the thread. Answered this for myself

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-31-2011 02:56 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes it will, and shame on you for not answering your own question on this thread. [Razz]

Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-31-2011 06:28 PM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be interested in hearing how this turned out. I think that eventually everything will ship with closed captions (and discrete HI/VI-N audio). You mention "the" closed caption file is about 600kB. Most of the stuff I've seen has a separate file for each reel, and they're 100 or 200kB. But, I've heard that some people are sending a single closed caption (timed text) file and using EntryPoint and Duration in the CPL (which gets transferred to the RPL for closed captions) to break the single file into reels. So, is this what you've found?

Thanks!

Harold

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 12-31-2011 06:38 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just wish they would develop a consistent standard. Either do a FTR version for every movie, or just to the CC version. Along with inconsistent naming conventions between Technicolor and Deluxe, it creates all the more chances for ingest and/or KDM errors.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 12-31-2011 07:03 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Harold Hallikainen
I'd be interested in hearing how this turned out.
Well it ran fine when I tested it last night by skipping into the feature.

quote: Harold Hallikainen
You mention "the" closed caption file is about 600kB.
I was referring to the whole CPL for closed captioning. The server in question indicated it was 550 kb or so. It had a separate CPL for running CC and the updated key that was received was only for the tat CC CPL. But to run in CC, you had to have the regular, non-CC CPL loaded as well.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-31-2011 07:30 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
okey..the "OV" and the "VF" standards...

Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-31-2011 08:52 PM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the additional info! Based on calls I'm getting, it appears that DCP names sometimes include CCAP when the DCP does not include closed captions. As I read http://www.digitalcinemanamingconvention.com/appendix_9.asp , I think the original version should not include CCAP if the DCP does not actually include the captions. Further description of original versions and supplemental packages is at http://www.digitalcinemanamingconvention.com/appendix_8.asp .

Thanks!

Harold

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: