Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » LMT 300 Media Block Ingest Issues

Author Topic: LMT 300 Media Block Ingest Issues
Scott Bruffey
Film Handler

- posted 12-22-2011 02:42 PM      Profile for Scott Bruffey   Email Scott Bruffey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just got a pair of these in the booth yesterday and one of them is having some interesting issues. It's hit or miss when recognizing USB devices and while trying to ingest War Horse it refuses to see the asset list; it only displays a stack of folders. The other server had no issue importing the feature and other content, nor did our Doremi. Any thoughts?

|  IP: Logged

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 12-22-2011 03:46 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm. Any thoughts?
You got these yesterday, one is buggy...
My thought? Call your dealer or Sony.

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 12-22-2011 04:23 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And of course, try a total cold reboot first.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-22-2011 05:57 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Total Reboot"

Wasn't that a Schwartzenager film?

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-22-2011 09:15 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to the world of the hated SONY units.

Things are as tempermental as an APPlE computer - very propreitory.

Sometimes, you have to wait for a good 100 minutes for the Media Block to recognize a USB drive" .. but, in all due actuality, plug it in, walk away for a few minutes, get a drink and popcorn and come back and it should see the USB drive.

Also, SONY has major issues with seeing TECH drives..they're good with seeing DeLuxe drives.

Get a TMS in the building and all the ingest problems disappear with this danged things.

Scott Bruffey
Film Handler

- posted 12-22-2011 10:00 PM      Profile for Scott Bruffey   Email Scott Bruffey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for jumping in everyone! The cold reboot did the trick. Initially, that's what I would have started the troubleshooting process with but I had been reassured by another op that it had been done...which then became "No, I said it SHOULD be done." [Smile]

So now I know what to look for on these things. I have no doubt I'll be hitting the forum with other questions as at this point it's looking like we have little to no tech support on these...we couldn't even get Sony to get around to signing us up for their online web training. But our cues are working well with our automation so, so far so good.

Thanks again, everyone!

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-22-2011 10:51 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The real trick with the Sonys .. and other servers..is to do a full SMS shutdown every other week.

This cleans out the memory to help prevent future "brain cramps" with these things - is what I do with my SONY and other digital units.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-23-2011 02:26 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Monte L Fullmer
but, in all due actuality, plug it in, walk away for a few minutes, get a drink and popcorn and come back
Yea, pour a little butter and carbonated beveredge into it so it'll kill it. Then ask the manager to get you a real projector!

Mark

Scott Bruffey
Film Handler

- posted 12-24-2011 04:28 PM      Profile for Scott Bruffey   Email Scott Bruffey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ha ha! Thanks, guys! And Monte, I'll definitely make sure that the other booth ops incorporate your suggestion.

And yeah, as a certified Barco tech I'd much rather have one of those in my booth, but hey...

So NOW I'm getting a "media block's alert led is lit" error and I have no idea what that means outside of the server's upset about something. So far I can't find anything online about it so if anyone's had THAT issue and can point me to where I can find out more info, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-24-2011 05:10 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Might have to do a total shutdown through the touchpanel, then hit the grey button on the status tower to power up the unit and see if that clears up the error.

Oh, if you get an "exhaust error" on the rear display, that is when you just flip the breaker underneath the USB port, wait a few seconds then turn it back on. That error is going to be the most common error that loves to pop up with these units.

If this pops up again, you might have a IMB issue where it might have to be replaced - bad drive or similar ... seen that a few times as well.. and wait when a ballast goes out on you in those things....

Barco = "designed for the technican", Christie = "designed for the projectionist."

Sony's = [Confused] ?

Changing out a Start Pulse Generator (igniter) in a Barco can be a PITA due to that cover plate.. but still a sweet unit!

Scott Bruffey
Film Handler

- posted 12-24-2011 06:08 PM      Profile for Scott Bruffey   Email Scott Bruffey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks again for the tip; I'll definitely run through a shut-down after the shows close tonight.

I agree with you about the Barco-Christie difference. But coming more from the tech side, I "get" the Barco menu and function layout better. I toured with Diana Ross last September with a FLM-20 and .8 lens for some extreme short throw front projection and the Barco was a dream the entire tour (though the fixed focus manual lens is a bit of a pain when you have to go up forty feet in a lift every damn day to focus it). But the Christies are a lot more solid and seem to handle the rigors of touring better.

Scott Bruffey
Film Handler

- posted 12-28-2011 11:02 PM      Profile for Scott Bruffey   Email Scott Bruffey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So here's my latest question: what is the proper end-of-night procedure for these projectors? We've been going into Stand-by. Is this correct or should we just stick with selecting Lamp Off? This may seem a stupid question but some of us spoke separately with the install tech at different times and remember discussing different end-of-night procedures.

Scott Bruffey
Film Handler

- posted 12-30-2011 04:36 PM      Profile for Scott Bruffey   Email Scott Bruffey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*UPDATE* We finally got someone from Sony to get back to us so the question's answered.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-30-2011 05:30 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You have to do lamp off on the "projector control" section if any of the show's playlist doesn't have a "lamp:off" cue in it, and always go into "standby" so it won't take long to power up to be ready to go.

EDIT: sorry on this since the questions were answered before I started to send.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: