Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Doremi Macros & Doremi Software (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Doremi Macros & Doremi Software
Saar Turj
Film Handler

- posted 12-18-2011 06:02 AM      Profile for Saar Turj     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello evreyone,

i want to ask a few questions about the Doremi.

as you know we have the Macro editor and inside the Macro editor we have many catgories : Projector(give a trigger to the projector), Input/Output(responsible for GPO and Send message to Raw and manymore) and we have the Playback zone that responsible for all the playlist show.

Can i send message to the Playback options like a electric command? Can i send order/message like i send in the GPO?

One more thing which softawre can i used to contorl my Doremi server in my computer?

tnx,

Saar.

|  IP: Logged

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 12-18-2011 07:53 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Probably a language issue... I'm not sure what you want to do.
In macro editor you assemble macros, then you can attach these macros to playlist content in Cinelister. Macros don't do anything on their own, they (with a few exceptions) have to be executed from a playlist.
The usual way to execute macros from an external device is to use triggers. You set up triggers in Cinelister (these can be loaded as defaults so they don't have to be copied into each playlist) that react to GPIO or automation device inputs (Jnior, ECNA, etc). The Jnior I/O unit can listen for serial commands to send triggers to the server, I'm not sure about the ECNA. These devices communicate with the server via the TCP/IP network but I've never tried making anything else talk to the server - this must be possible though. I think they use telnet.
I've had some clues that the server can be controlled like a VCR using other means, the software includes some version of the odetics protocol but it may not be usable except by system software. I haven't looked into this very far. There's also supposed to be an included program called "playlister" that can be executed to have some sort of external control but I've avoided experiments, I don't want to disable a server with such tinkering.
I don't know of software to control the server other than TMS/LMS systems. Again, since they can do it, it IS possible. You just have to figure out how.
I don't know if this is what you mean, but you can ingest the VNC package into the server and then use a VNC client to open a server "desktop" on another computer. This allows you to remotely do anything you could do at the server.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 12-18-2011 11:24 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Macros can also be used through the ControlTab Mechanism. However, so far there is no configuration utility to set up the tabs - you have to create an XML file manually to establish the macro buttons.

- Carsten

Joris Springer
Film Handler

- posted 12-23-2011 05:29 PM      Profile for Joris Springer   Email Joris Springer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well software on your computer to control a DoReMi server requires I guess a TMS.
The Macros are saved on your server as an Automation Cue right?

I can't really help you with it except for one point of advice... DON'T PRESS RESET (trust me, you don't want to do that [Wink] ).

You can't really send an electric command to the playback I think, you can't press a hardware button somewhere I think to trigger a software button.

Victor Liorentas
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-17-2012 01:03 AM      Profile for Victor Liorentas   Email Victor Liorentas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay I hit RESET in the macro editor of the Doremi Showvault!!!
I was doing fine when RESET seemed like a good idea but of course I lost all my macros!
I did this after close tonight while working on my lights dimmer commands.
I am praying that the macros created are backed up somewhere?
I have about 11 hours before showtime...HELP!

Aleksandar Obradovic
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-17-2012 01:54 AM      Profile for Aleksandar Obradovic   Email Aleksandar Obradovic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
man sorry but i must say that you gonna have bad day...
Macros are not backed up and they are never backing up except during doremi backup procedure. Any way maybe there is a way to solve it out if you have another doremi with similar booth configuration and root pass for doremi. If you have it i can send you a procedure how to copy macro config from one to another...

Also be careful when connecting some other device for remote control with doremi because doremi has optocouplers at GPIO and you can burn them if they get improper voltage.

BR Alexander

Victor Liorentas
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-17-2012 02:26 AM      Profile for Victor Liorentas   Email Victor Liorentas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No just a single screen here. I talked to someone at Doremi and they informed me that it would not be backed up also! Seems more stupid than myself not to back the macros up!
I have spent a couple hours practicing making up macros,so in a few hours I will wake my tech up and have him walk me through it over the phone. [Frown]
Why would I hit reset?
Why didn't it demand that I back off?
It did ask if I want to Save,Discard or Cancel ... which is a trick question [Big Grin] Better if it said back off dummy! Click here to restore your original macros.

Aleksandar Obradovic
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-17-2012 03:12 AM      Profile for Aleksandar Obradovic   Email Aleksandar Obradovic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
there is an easier way out for this if you are familiar with XML/*nix terminal/text editors.

All you have to do is to download macros.sample.xml from ShowVault and then edit it and make one tree node in some XML editor like Notepad++ and then copy/paste it with some minor/proper changes.

Then you have to upload it back to the ShowVault at proper folder.

Victor Liorentas
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-17-2012 02:06 PM      Profile for Victor Liorentas   Email Victor Liorentas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well my Tech Rick Long Jr of Cinematronix saved the day! [Smile]
He emailed a macro program from another theater.I Put it into the Doremi via USB and then just fine tuned it to fit.

Lesson learned! Don't reset in macro editor unless your ready to play. [Cool]

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 11-17-2012 03:26 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I copy macros.xml to macros.xml.sample after finishing the setup. That way we have a backup of the installation macros in the server if somebody presses "reset": it's pretty easy to talk someone through the process of copying it back. Also, we have a macro template that we start from on a new install - as long as we use the same jnior outputs for the house functions it should be pretty much plug and play. Even where the room has different requirements (separate sgae dimmer, magnetic door release, etc) it makes the job easier. You can also create device "macros" (similar to what Doremi provides for the Jnior etc.) and import them - but that's a bit more difficult and requires xml editing (not fun).

Danial Simmonds
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-28-2012 11:12 AM      Profile for Danial Simmonds   Author's Homepage   Email Danial Simmonds   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you had ever generated a detailed report before you reset the macro, you can find the macros.xml inside it after extracting the detailed report and copy it back into the server...

How to do it,.. contact doremi they will help out for sure.

Victor Liorentas
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-28-2012 11:38 AM      Profile for Victor Liorentas   Email Victor Liorentas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes but that takes the fun out of resetting the macros! [Big Grin]

Joris Springer
Film Handler

- posted 11-28-2012 07:16 PM      Profile for Joris Springer   Email Joris Springer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hehehe, Victor, your replies caused a lot of laughs on my face. I am glad I am not the only "idiot" on that part about resetting the macro's ;-).
In a way that button is quite confusing since you had similar thoughts about it. For now I just stay as far aways as I can from that button just to be sure, still I wonder, why create such a button, I mean they already have a delete option, you better just delete them one by one instead of having a reset option I would say.

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 05-27-2014 01:25 PM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 544 days since the last post.

Steve Moore
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-27-2014 01:25 PM      Profile for Steve Moore   Email Steve Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David, just seen this old posting. I thought the macros were stored on the solid state DOM disc and this was write protected to any user or root user? Are you able to just re-import macros? The reason I ask is one of our sites is starting to fail to boot, presuming the motherboard is on its way out. If I have to swap for the spare server is there a quick and easy way to copy it's macro setup to my spare server (as in before this one dies)

I had always presumed macros were copied as part of the backup manager, however it does not mention it in the documentation that I can see

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: