Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » DCI Compliance (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: DCI Compliance
Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-07-2011 03:27 PM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As far as being DCI compliant, are there issues with what sound equipment can be used? For example, is a Dolby CP 65 with a D/A converter (DMA8 for example) okay to use. Also, are there any requirements for speaker power handling? I'm assuming that as long as you have a D/A converter and a 6 channel processor, you would be okay.

|  IP: Logged

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 12-07-2011 07:16 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are no such constraints in DCI. As a matter of fact, if you mix your 5.1 or 7.1 server output into mono and play it through a historic tube amp and speakers - no one cares. Except your patrons (maybe). Your server and projector have to be compliant, that is sufficient as far as DCI goes.

- Carsten

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-07-2011 08:05 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yea, seen Dolby CP55's doing sound for DCI complient movies.

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-07-2011 08:12 PM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 12-08-2011 05:31 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not so fast...DCI...DOES require 5.1 audio! You will find all of the current VPF agreements require 5.1 audio as a MINIMUM! This was probably in response to some Phase-1 rollouts getting mixed down to mono (Carmike)

But as to how you get that...no there is no restriction on the equipment brands...this is not a THX situation. You can under-spec the system all you want and your customers will tolerate.

-Steve

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-08-2011 06:56 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve is correct (of course). The 5.1 requirement means nothing in terms of quality. I believe it was Scott Norwood who proclaimed he would rather hear good mono than bad stereo. [Wink]

All the 5.1 requirement really does for the studios is eliminate having to pay VPFs to drive-ins.

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-08-2011 07:45 AM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds good. I have a load of CP 65's to use. Other than a DMA8, are there any other recommendations for a D/A converter?

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-08-2011 12:07 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whilst on paper they may be requiring 5.1 for VPF, no one is actually checking. I've had it suggested to me that I might want to leave the sound system spec off the vpf paperwork at a few places. I filled it correctly in in front the suggestee [Roll Eyes]

In the finish, no one cared [Frown]

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-08-2011 01:06 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
eliminate having to pay VPFs to drive-ins.

Dang, why the hate for the drive-ins?

Juan Jose Garcia Calvo
Film Handler

- posted 12-08-2011 01:13 PM      Profile for Juan Jose Garcia Calvo   Email Juan Jose Garcia Calvo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Richard May Asked:
"Sounds good. I have a load of CP 65's to use. Other than a DMA8, are there any other recommendations for a D/A converter? "

Take a look to this units. You can buy 3 of these in Spain for 450€...

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/DEQ1024.aspx

It's a stereo D/A converter, equalizer, leveler, ets...

Regards

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 12-08-2011 01:20 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
All the 5.1 requirement really does for the studios is eliminate having to pay VPFs to drive-ins.
There are negotiations underway to develop VPF deals for drive-ins. The deal would include a waiver of the 5.1 audio requirement. To the best of my knowledge, most of the major studios are on board. I believe Cinedigm is leading the way on this, but I can't swear to that.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-08-2011 02:08 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes that is true, Cinedigm is paving that road...BUT it isn't done and there isn't much time left.

Currently NOBODY can do a VPF program on a drive-in. Anyone that says they can is outright lying to make an equipment sale.

They will also have to waive the 14 footlambert requirement for drive-ins, as when you are that bright the problem is you are looking at the screen surface and not the movie.

Edward Havens
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-08-2011 03:10 PM      Profile for Edward Havens   Email Edward Havens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The drive-in down the road from my home installed a digital projector just before Pirates. I don't think the Syufys are hurting for money, though.

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 12-08-2011 04:08 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, yes, the Solano Drive In. Barco I believe.

Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-08-2011 08:19 PM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another D/A to consider is the USL DAX-602 or DAX-802.

http://www.uslinc.com/products-sound-DAX602.html

Harold

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: