Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » 3D Gaming on Cinema Projectors

Author Topic: 3D Gaming on Cinema Projectors
Drew Bohnstedt
Film Handler

- posted 11-29-2011 04:57 PM      Profile for Drew Bohnstedt   Email Drew Bohnstedt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know if you can do 3D gaming or 3D blu rays from an NEC NC2000C projector with a RealD unit?
[Smile]

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-29-2011 06:39 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No clue, but are those projectors even fast enough for gaming? Gaming runs at 60 discrete frames per second and double that when in 3D (though it is a fake double).

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-29-2011 06:42 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Drew. I know this is your first post so we'll go a little easy on you, but how about following the posted rules and fixing that teaser title there?

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-29-2011 06:55 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Presuming you fix your title...

NO! The DCinema projectors, at present, do not take the composite 3D image on a single HDMI cable and break it into discrete images. There are devices like Dimension3D by Doremi that will do that BUT (and it is a doozy of a but)...it is NOT HDCP COMPLIANT so there is no easy way to do what you want...at least not yet.

It would not surprise me if Doremi and others don't come up with an HDCP compliant means to do this down the road, particularly with the various IMBs that have HDMI inputs.

-Steve

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 12-01-2011 12:52 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doremis IMB offers 3D HDMI 1.4 format input, so does Sony. It depends a bit on what kind of format the game machine supports and outputs - there is not a single format.

PCs and PS3 use a 120Hz L/R signal - I don't know of any DCI machine capable of taking this signal on the DVI/HDMI input port.

Given that you have a NEC, there is probably no way to do this currently, at least not at a decent pricepoint (DVI->SDI conversion, etc.).

- Carsten

Mark Hajducki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2011 02:08 PM      Profile for Mark Hajducki   Email Mark Hajducki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How much of an impact would the delay caused by the image processing be?

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-01-2011 10:01 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..prob like any other form of auxillary video input, one would need a scaler to take in the scorce, scaler does the conversion tricks, and then out to the DVI connection on the projector..

Joris Springer
Film Handler

- posted 12-07-2011 06:47 PM      Profile for Joris Springer   Email Joris Springer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting thread btw, since today we have an Barco DP4K 32B projector from Barco with the latest IMB from Doremi and their Showvault server (which also has an HDMI input) and the people who are making the cinema digital at the moment are also curious about the posibilities. If you want I can ask them to try it [Smile] .
I mean we are certain to have a no (that it is not possible) but maybe they can find the yes [Smile] ).

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 12-07-2011 07:12 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From the Doremi IMB firmware release notes:

'2K FPGA
– Support HDMI in 3D (Frame Packing)
– Support SDI in 3D (Dual 4:2:2)'

But FramePacking is not the format typically being used for gaming.
The Sony PS3, however, will do Framepacking - because PS3 is also a 3D BluRay Player, and 3D BluRay Players need to have HDMI 1.4 with FramePacking.

PC based 3D gaming is usually doing 120Hz pageflip 3D, easier to process on cheap 120Hz capable displays and beamers with shutter glases.

- Carsten

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 05-25-2012 02:36 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was recently asked if we could play a 3D Bluray via our Barco 32B with Dolby 3D.

What is the output of a 3D Bluray player? Is it a single HDMI, or dual?

Looking at rear panels (online) it seems to be delivered via a single HDMI output.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 05-26-2012 01:44 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's single HDMI, btw.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 05-26-2012 09:02 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The answer, for now is no. Via an IMB with suitable HDMI ports and Dolby color correction, then the answer will be yes. I believe the Doremi IMB will do it now. The Dolby one will do it but not on its initial release. I believe the GDC SX-3000 IMB will do it but the current one will not.

Christie's (Gefen) new alternate content scaler SKA-3D will be able to assist you in this but I don't think it will handle the color correction. However, it is my suspicion that the color correction can now or soon can be done in the projector.

http://www.christiedigital.com/en-us/cinema/cinema-products/digital-cinema-alternative-content/pages/christie-ska-3d.aspx

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: