Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » I want to UN-3D the movie. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: I want to UN-3D the movie.
Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 11-29-2011 03:28 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Watching 3D movies gives me a nasty headache. I hate it and I'm sick of 3D already. You can't watch a 3D movie without glasses unless you like to watch a blurry image so I'm reduced to sitting there with my hand over one eye for the whole movie. IT SUCKS.

I have a two pair of Real-D glasses and I got an idea:

I want to swap the lenses in both pairs of glasses so that they only show one field of the movie, effectively UN-3D-ing the movie.

So, do you think I can take, for instance, the left lens out of one pair of glasses, flip it around backwards and put it into the right side of another?

Has anybody tried this? How do you get the glasses apart without breaking them?

Any ideas?
T.I.A.

|  IP: Logged

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 11-29-2011 03:38 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I tried this with a pair of Master Image glasses. When you flip the lens around, it simply flips the direction of the polarity. So a left-eye lens becomes a right-eye lens when flipped.

Ramon Lamarca Marques
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-29-2011 03:51 PM      Profile for Ramon Lamarca Marques   Email Ramon Lamarca Marques   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The solution even has its own website: http://www.2d-glasses.com/

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-29-2011 03:53 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is not what Randy is suggesting. He is suggesting using two pairs of glasses to make one that has the left polorizer in both eyes and the other set that has the right polorizer in both eyes.

Should work fine.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-29-2011 04:51 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 2D glasses do just that...give you two of the same eye.

-Steve

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-29-2011 05:07 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wish Dolby would come out with a 2-D glasses like the one in the link. They could be different-colored and a theatre could sell a "regular" priced ticket to a patron using 2-D glasses.

Also: Why don't they come out with "clip-on" 3-D glasses for those people who wear regular glasses? Would make 3-D a lot more comfortable for those people.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 11-29-2011 05:07 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Exactly. One pair of glasses will only see the left field and the other pair of glasses will only see the right field.

I sat through the whole movie, today, alternately closing one eye or holding my hand over one lens of the glasses. I would watch so long in 3D until I started getting a headache then I'd block or shut one eye until the headache went away.

I decided that I just wanted to watch the movie in peace, without having to fuck around to see the picture.

I actually was able to swap lenses in two pair of glasses. All you need is an Exacto knife or a thin shim of some kind to separate the frames so that you can take the lenses out.

Just make it so one pair of glasses has two left eyes. By elimination, the second will have two right eyes.

Next time we see a movie in 3D I'll try it out to see how it works.

Mike: Do you have a pair of old clip-on frames that you can remove the lenses from? I don't see why you couldn't remove the lenses from a pair of movie glasses and put them into an old pair of clip-ons.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 11-29-2011 05:33 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, no reason why they can't do clip-ons. I got a cheap pair of clip-ons and took the lenses out of IMAX 3D glasses and jerry-rigged the polarized lenses in place of the sunglass elements. Works fine, although before I did this, I found that I can easily just put the 3D glasses over my perscription glasses and it works fine; I can watch the movie like that with no discomfort. In fact, that's exactly how I wear sunglasses all the time -- right over my regular glasses. I make a little S-bend in the metal arms of the sunglasses so they rest on the arms of my regular glasses for support.

Randy, the thing about the 3D-to-2D conversion glasses is, although they will work perfectly fine, it means that the patron would still have to wear glasses and as we know even from the discussions on these pages, that the "I can't stand wearing 3D glasses" crowd -- you know, those who seem to become instant basket cases even at the thought of having to wear glasses of any kind while watching a movie -- those babies will still whine and kvetch like two-year-olds about how they hate to put glasses of ANY kind on their heads. I say, the first time anyone says, "Oh I just hate wearing those 3D glasses," they should be permanently banned from seeing any 3D movies EVER and forced to stay home and watch the 2D DVD when it comes out.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 11-29-2011 06:00 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do not see why there is a problem with those of you who do not like 3-D movies. There was a time when a auditorium was showing the 3-D version and 2-D in another. I have noticed most theatres in my area now show the 3-D version and 2-D in the same auditorium by staggering the show times. The first in 3-D, the 2nd in 2-D, etc. In a week or two, the movie moves over to another auditorium and finishes it's run in 2-D only. I know of no theatre that had played a movie only in 3-D through out it's run. When all 3-D movies can also be seen in 2-D, why do you bother to see it that way during a 3-D performance by wearing altered glasses that you probably hate to wear that dims the picture slightly.

-Claude

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 11-29-2011 06:10 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sadly Claude, there are some locations that are "forced" to run 3D only of the print due to: not enough screens open to do the 2D version, esp with smaller complexes, or of a studio contractral nature were they want the 3D to have the majority of the times, then maybe one showing of the 2D at a much later time.

-Monte

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-29-2011 06:37 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Except you're still paying 3D ticket prices. That is immoral and persuades studios to keep making their 3D horseshit. Just don't go to 3D movies.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-29-2011 06:44 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Monte L Fullmer
Sadly Claude, there are some locations that are "forced" to run 3D only of the print due to: not enough screens open to do the 2D version, esp with smaller complexes, or of a studio contractral nature were they want the 3D to have the majority of the times, then maybe one showing of the 2D at a much later time.
This isn't as true as it used to be. Most 3D movies now come on "combo drives" meaning the 3D and 2D versions are both on the same drive. You just need a key for each version. So it's possible to show both versions on one screen. We've done this with all of our 3D movies since about the beginning of this year.

The only downside is the studios understandably want the "prime" showtimes for the 3D, so it tends to reduce attendance for the 2D shows. But at least we are able to offer 2D showtimes.

But the "2D glasses" approach would fix most of the problems. You could sell a "regular" priced ticket to someone using the 2D glasses. The only problem remaining would be having to wear the glasses at all. I guess only time and technology will fix that one.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-29-2011 06:49 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Claude,

The "inventor" of the "2D glasses" made them for his wife because he wanted to see the movie in 3D but it gave his wife headaches...so she would put the 3D glasses on during the "action" sequences and the 2D version on for the rest.

The video that introduced them: http://www.youtube.com/user/vlogbrothers#p/search/0/SsJHbw5iRds

-Steve

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-29-2011 07:59 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
But the "2D glasses" approach would fix most of the problems. You could sell a "regular" priced ticket to someone using the 2D glasses. The only problem remaining would be having to wear the glasses at all. I guess only time and technology will fix that one.
The OTHER problem is that the movie would be unacceptably dark (which plagues all 3D systems due to the silly acceptance of 4-6fl standard). If the studios permitted what you are proposing, then why even bother with DCI standards?

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 11-29-2011 08:02 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
of 4-6fl standard
like watching movies on a Drive-in screen at times...

No, the reason of that one comment of mine where the limited amount of screens open comes from what I've seen in certain ads with some large circuits that have mulitple locations in one city: one plex with a higher amount of screens will have both viewing formats of the one feature, whereas another plex with lesser screens are "forced" to do 3D feature only since their other screens are still busy with features in those houses where the owners don't want to unload a busy feature for a split format showing of a new feature.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: