Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Dolby DSS200 Screen Server Disconnected

Author Topic: Dolby DSS200 Screen Server Disconnected
Cameron Andrews
Film Handler

- posted 11-25-2011 07:33 PM      Profile for Cameron Andrews   Email Cameron Andrews   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a Dolby DSS2000 and a Christie CP2220. I have encountered a very strange problem. That auditoriums status shows as "Disconnected". All connections have been checked. All network cables are connected and indicator lights show they are working. In the Show Manager software (Monitor and keyboard are directly connected to the server) in the System menu under the "Theater Devices" tab it shows the status of the screen server as "Disconnected". So here is the weird part... It still plays all content according to the schedule.. It can't be manually operated, and once a show starts from the schedule, you can't stop or pause, or control it in any way. It still just says "Disconnected" and gives a red auditorium icon. Any ideas??? Thanks in advance for the help!

P.S. I have tried a full power cycle on all of the auditoriums equipment.

|  IP: Logged

Chase Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-25-2011 07:43 PM      Profile for Chase Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Chase Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If this is connected to Library or LMS, try unplugging the media Ethernet and see if it shows back up. I've seen this before and this fixed it showing that there was an IP conflict.

Cameron Andrews
Film Handler

- posted 11-25-2011 08:09 PM      Profile for Cameron Andrews   Email Cameron Andrews   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did disconnect the ethernet between the show store and the server, I didn't think of trying it from the LMS. I just have 2 DSS200 that are tied together, one acting as the library server. I will try it as soon as it there is not a show miraculously playing when it shouldn't be.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-25-2011 08:28 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay...let me get this straight.

You have a twin or a system with just two screens. One system was definitely set up as a TMS and the other was definitely set up as an SMS, right?

Between the two systems, connected to each "Theatre Network" is either a switch (each system feeds a switch) or you have a crossover cable between the two. The Auditorium networks are not inter-connected, correct? That is the auditorium networks just connect up your various auditorium specific devices. You have followed Dolby's IP scheme in doing all of this and let it configure automatically via the "Config" application.

I would agree that step one, if you are having issues with the network is to first establish that each unit functions independently in SMS mode properly. Disconnecting the "SMS" system TMS network via its "Theatre Network" cable should let it function on its own.

If need be, re-run the CONFIG application and double triple check that you have answered each question accurately and you only have ONE of your players in TMS mode.

-Steve

Cameron Andrews
Film Handler

- posted 11-25-2011 08:58 PM      Profile for Cameron Andrews   Email Cameron Andrews   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Steve, Auditorium 5 is the TMS and Auditorium 4 is the SMS.They are connected via a crossover cable. I haven't tried unplugging the connection between the two yet simply because I have a full house right now and it is running the show. I will try between shows and let you know. All Dolby IP schemes have been followed. I will try to unplug and plug back in the inter-connect to see if that resolves it (IP conflict) but where everything is set up on static IPs I don't see how there could be a conflict. This set up has been in place and unchanged for 5 months with no problems so I can't help but wonder about bad cables or network interfaces.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-25-2011 09:15 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From your description...it definitely sounds like a problem in the TMS system in Auditorium 5 is the source of your problem. Note, Theatre #4, upon sensing that Theatre #5 disappeared, even during a show, should switch over to SMS mode after a short period of time (it isn't trigger happy...it might take a minute or so to tell you it is switching modes). Theatre #5 will likely not switch to SMS mode since it is self-connected. Since you imply that theatre #5 also shows as disconnected, it further implies a TMS software related issue.

What version of Dolby software are you running? 4.3.0 (36) is the current GA release. 4.2.1 (3) was the previous GA release.

Do you have a service company? If so, have they been contacted?

If "I" were there and witnessed what you are describing, I would likely disconnect the Theatre Network cable, put theatre #5 in SMS mode via the config application, reboot it. Verify that it comes up in SMS mode properly. Then, via the config application, put it back in the TMS mode and reboot it...presuming it correctly connects to theatre #5...plug in the Theatre Network cable and see if it "sees" theatre #4 correctly. Note, you may have to re-enter the schedule again.

Failing that, I would reinstall the software (and probably use the latest version but that would require KDMs if you are going to a new version).

-Steve

Mattias Mattsson
Film Handler

- posted 04-21-2012 07:57 AM      Profile for Mattias Mattsson   Email Mattias Mattsson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In my case I had the "Screen Server Disconnected" errror because of erroneous or corrupted zip files were stored in the servers sw kdm store.

ALWAYS use an empty USB for sw kdms when upgrading.

The upgrade process sucks in every file from the USB named *.zip, whether it's an upgrade kdm or not. It then scans the server key store ( /var/showstore/upgrade ) and can crash if it finds something invalid. This results in the "Screen Server Disconnected error.

The solution is to wipe /var/showstore/upgrade or use an install disc together with a fresh USB stick containing only the sw kdms.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: