Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » "DLP Ack Fail" message after changing ICP board on NEC NC2000C (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: "DLP Ack Fail" message after changing ICP board on NEC NC2000C
Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 11-20-2011 08:10 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since it's Sunday and I can't seem to get in touch with anyone, I thought I would see if FT can help me here.

I had an ICP board fail on Saturday. Apparently someone pulled a string somewhere to get one delivered Sunday afternoon. Board was installed and remarried just fine, but I can't seem to clear this DLP Ack Fail message.

I found a blog post out there which indicates this may have something to do with the Title files being screwed up. I tried restoring my most recent backup to no avail.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-20-2011 08:45 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Easy! You have a file missing somewhere in T.I. ICP. So first try loading in the original config files for that projetor. Hopefully you saved them! If not use another projector's config files and then you'll have to do a complete set up. Is your booth set up for a tech to be able to remote in? All booths should be!! If that doesn't do it try loading in the latest Service Pack whis is a massive update. Sp3.3. This also adds three douser options and some new test patterns.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 11-20-2011 09:59 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I finally got in touch with a tech with Strong Technical and he had me do exactly that. Unfortunately it didn't resolve the issue, so they are sending a tech.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-20-2011 10:00 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Out of curiosity, why do you think the ICP failed? I'm not saying it didn't...just curious as to why you believe it did.

I would definitely load the current software service pack on like Mark suggests... SP3.3

The ICP stores Screen, PCF, and MCGD files. If you have those backed up, you'll need to restore them or recalibrate the screen and MCGD. Note...the names must match EXACTLY to what your "titles" are calling. The same with the PCF files.

Also, the ability to remote in is a biggie nowadays...in my opinion. It allows me (and others) to solve about 90% of all problems. The projection room should have a dedicated computer that allows your tech to have access to the booth equipment. This is also a good computer to put all of your files that you have saved for all of the booth equipment so they will be handy during crisis situations.

-Steve

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 11-20-2011 10:12 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It started out with a text Saturday morning with "420: ICP Communication Status" (my projectors email to my cell number so I get a text). Then I started getting "140: DLP CommR Fail" along with the 420 message.

Multiple reboots were not able to clear the problem. I tried to re-seat the ICP board per a tech's recommendation. After that, the remarriage would fail with an error to the effect of "Physical Remarriage not possible".

All my projectors are running firmware version 3.2 update which was applied in September. For some reason I am not able to access Strong's FTP site from the theatre or home - but can access it from our other theatre using the same FTP profile.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-21-2011 02:14 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There have been two updates since SP 3.002...there was 3.004 and then 3.3.

Did you ever try to use the ICP program that TI provides and load 3.0.314 on directly from that? I have now had an instance where the DCC could not recover from an ICP failure but the TI program could...pretty immediately too. In fact, it recovered after just running the "install me first" file to the ICP.

-Steve

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 11-21-2011 02:35 AM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't even know that was a possibility. I'll have to give it a try tomorrow.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 11-21-2011 02:39 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heard that this failure is somewhat common with older NEC units .. same thing: the needed software updates and ingested via the Commander program?

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 11-21-2011 05:40 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is an ICP board?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-21-2011 10:11 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I actually had a brand new ICP board that would not accept any firmware... no matter what! I deemed it defective and I returned it and got another which worked just fine. I wonder if you got that bad module. Nooooo. Strong would never so that!

pdating I agree with Steve. Update the firmware on the old board first. It will probably fix your issue. I haven't had many ICP problems but I recently had an enigma error 4XX what ever the number was and loading in new firmware fixed it.

Mark

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 11-21-2011 02:03 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For Scott,

ICP = Integrated Cinema Processor

These are common to all DCI projectors that use the Texas Instruments DMD imagers (Barco, Christie, NEC).

Joe Elliott
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2011 04:39 PM      Profile for Joe Elliott   Email Joe Elliott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ICP boards in general are very fickle. I hope TI irons out the problems with them soon. I had one yesterday on a Barco that, after I updated, would only start in boot mode. Cleaned and reseated. Recovered using the (Barco)ICP recovery/update tool, then updated with the same. Boot mode. Did it again. Boot mode. I persisted, and after the 5th time, it finally updated properly, and I was able to update it past 3.1 with the regular ICP tool. They tend to act that way far too often.

And see the other threads on here about the 2.xxx versions of the software on them. If it has ever had 2.anything on it, it may update now, but give you a problem next time you update. I don't know if TI has a NEC version on the at ICP recovery/update tool, but they should soon if they don't.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 11-21-2011 05:10 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I heard about this ICP issue,esp with BARCOS - heard, it's best to leave them on all the time since the board with the older version can have serious issues if powered off and on on a daily basis.

Does this board have flash memory on it why it has these issues on occasion?

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 11-21-2011 07:03 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got it fixed. Updated the to the 3.3 firmware and restored a backup from another projector with the same configuration. The thing I missed yesterday was unchecking the "skip MCGD files" box in the DCC. Then it was just a matter of redoing my screen files.

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 01-20-2015 12:09 PM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 1155 days since the last post.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: