Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Digital Conversion (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Digital Conversion
Ron Funderburg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-18-2011 10:06 AM      Profile for Ron Funderburg   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Funderburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our conversion to all Digital starts on Monday November 28th. Well that is when it is scheduled to start! I look forward to this with some excitement, a little apprehension and of course regrets. I am excited to learn something knew and always love being on top of any technology. A little apprehension as because new is not always better, new can be worse but still there aspects of this that I like. Regrets because I love film and the effect on the screen when it is real film to me Digital is just a bit too sharp a focus in some areas it seem to have to great a depth of field. Like the video cameras of the 60’s you could tell when shows were shot on Video tape they were just shaper on focus. You would think that was a good thing but like the background to be a big blurry on some shots.

Well anyway here we go! What do you all of you think about your places going Digital or if they haven't what are our thoughts about when they go Digital?

|  IP: Logged

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 11-18-2011 12:10 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What kind of system is being installed (Dolby Digital Cinema, AccessIT/Doremi, etc.)? Is it 2K or 4K? Is the sound system being upgraded to 5.1? I may have to check it out when the conversion is finished.

Video has a certain look to it, but I don't agree that it is "sharper" in the sense of showing more detail. Film photography can still beat video in that regard (and absolutely trounce video whenever large format processes are being used). I hope most movies will continue to be shot on film for years to come regardless of how they are projected in movie theaters. Even if I only see a movie on Blu-ray, the movie is going to look better if it was shot on film rather than video.

The Carmike 8 here in Lawton still has operational 35mm projection systems on screens 5 and 7; Christie 2K projectors are positioned along side. Nevertheless, it's been a long time since the theater received a film print.

In terms of image quality, I can't say the switch to digital made any noticeable improvement at the Carmike theater. 35mm projection typically looked very good there. The black levels are superior on film. With digital the image is absolutely rock steady. So many movies have their film scanned and then "color timed" via digital intermediate. Digital projection is giving you a closer reproduction of that finished digital source file. Life in the booth will be easier in some respects (no more prints to build up, tear down, carry, ship, etc.).

Ron Funderburg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-18-2011 12:59 PM      Profile for Ron Funderburg   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Funderburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bobby,

We were already DTS 5.1 and we are still 5.1 when the conversion is done. NEC projectors not sure the model numbers yet. We will be LMS for the management system. Real D 3D on two screens.

As to sharpness it isn't the focus I was meaning the depth of field is to great on Video so often more things are in focus than should be. It is harder to throw specific parts out of focus. When I was kid in the 60's you tell the shows that were shot on Video as then almost everything was in focus. I totally agree n shooting on film and if you are going to do 3D at least shoot that way the friggin digital conversion of 2D to 3D suck big time.

Our screens are small and the image will look great on them but so does film.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 11-18-2011 01:17 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Depth of field relates to the lens aperture and the focal length of the lens used in original photography. This is indirectly influenced by the amount of available light, the speed of the film being used, the shutter angle of the camera, and the film format.

In general, and all other things being equal, longer lenses have a shallower depth of field than shorter lenses. Smaller lens apertures provide deeper depth of field than larger ones.

If I photograph something with a 35mm still camera using a 35mm lens and then photograph the same thing, using the same film speed and camera settings, with a 4x5 camera using a 135mm lens (which has approximately the same field of view), the picture from the 4x5 camera will have shallower depth of field.

If I scan these pictures and look at them on a computer monitor (or video projector), depth of field is not affected.

I think that the difference that Ron is seeing is that edges of objects look sharper when projected on a DLP system. I agree that this is the case, and it gives the illusion of greater sharpness. This could relate to the way in which the film is scanned (and possibly edge-enhanced). This does not mean that there is more actual detail than there would be with a 35mm print, however. If you want to see the difference in detail of film vs. DLP, look at close-ups of actors' faces. There is far more actual detail in a film print. (Disclaimer: I have not seen 4K DLP.)

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 11-18-2011 01:19 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One piece of advice I can give you is to have all your most tech savvy people available for training once the systems are installed, especially if you are getting the LMS right off the bat. There is going to be a lot of new information to learn and the installers are not always the best trainers.

Even if you are fairly good with technology and computers, be prepared for some frustration. The learning curve can initially be quite steep because things are not always intuitive with the way the equipment and software is designed. And there is so much to learn it will take you a few weeks to really start to feel comfortable.

I highly recommend you plan on looking over the shoulder of the installers when they actually start setting up the picture and doing the screen files. You're going to need to understand how it all comes together. And make sure they show you things like how to adjust the focus.

Greg Anderson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-18-2011 01:45 PM      Profile for Greg Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott beat me to the punch on how to manipulate depth of field. One reason that people who shot video were so excited by the video capabilities of Canon's 5D Mark II was that the larger sensor suddenly made it so much easier to get that artistic, shallow depth of field everyone liked to see. Unfortunately, if you were also lazy about focus (because your previous video camera was more forgiving) you might be in trouble! If you didn't bring a good monitor to your shoot and you tried to rely on your little viewfinder then you might not see your mistakes until you got home. Oops!

But the point is that there are plenty of DPs who know how to get the depth of field they want and the D-cinema cameras available to them today are certainly capable of giving them what they want. I wonder if 3D shooting makes it necessary to decrease depth of field. After all, human eyes don't use depth of field to perceive distance as much as they use convegence so, for a more "realistic" 3D experience, shouldn't the movie be shot with generally deeper focus?

Ron Funderburg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-18-2011 01:54 PM      Profile for Ron Funderburg   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Funderburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Justin I am somewhat tech savvy and one other person that is pretty good. I will have a few fingers in the booth as we can get buy with. I have a Concession Manager that is eventually going to learn the system. I am appreciating all the advice and taking it to heart.

Justin when I say I'm somewhat tech savvy it might be a bit more than that even. LOL

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 11-18-2011 03:28 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Ron Funderburg
Our conversion to all Digital starts on Monday November 28th.
Really? The week after Thanksgiving?

Isn't that an awfully busy business week to be essentially rebuilding the booth and dealing with the potential bugs that come with new and unfamiliar equipment?

Steven J Hart
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-18-2011 04:30 PM      Profile for Steven J Hart   Author's Homepage   Email Steven J Hart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
The black levels are superior on film.
To me its the opposite. When I play a black clip on my digital projector, the screen is simply black. When I run black leader through my 35MM projector, I can see some light on the screen (compared to the lamp being off).

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 11-18-2011 05:02 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Greg Anderson
One reason that people who shot video were so excited by the video capabilities of Canon's 5D Mark II was that the larger sensor suddenly made it so much easier to get that artistic, shallow depth of field everyone liked to see.
Expanding on that farther, one could use any of the lenses in Canon's EF series, or other non-Canon lenses. Video cameras simply don't have that variety of lens choices. If you want an extremely narrow focal plane lenses like the L-series 85mm and 50mm will open up to f/1.2. You can get other effects from macro lenses, tilt-shift lenses, fisheye, super telephoto, etc. Having a "full frame" sensor, the 5D Mark II will show a greater periprheal view from each lens. That's a big advantage in wide angle photography.

The low DOF look is something you really need to use even if you don't want to use it when shooting with the 5D Mark II or other "HDSLR" cameras. Because of the way the camera down samples to 1080p it is prone to showing moiré when shooting video with deep depth of field.

quote:
Unfortunately, if you were also lazy about focus (because your previous video camera was more forgiving) you might be in trouble! If you didn't bring a good monitor to your shoot and you tried to rely on your little viewfinder then you might not see your mistakes until you got home. Oops!
It's pretty crazy how much one has to spend on accessories to make a DSLR camera like the 5D Mark II work reasonably well as a general purpose video camera. Shotgun mic, focus rails, shoulder mounted camera platform, external monitor, etc. All that gear, plus the camera body and the lenses make the system cost considerably more than a dedicated "pro-sumer" level HD video camera.

You don't need all the accessories if you're doing shots of objects, landscapes or anything static. I disable auto-focus for a number of different types of photography. You can focus using the LCD screen and pressing the button that gives a 5X or 10X zoomed in view. I like using live view anyway to see the histogram (this works much better than the light meter in the view finder). The EOS utility can tether the camera to a computer, such as a notebook, and provide a much bigger view of the shot. If you're having to follow-focus moving action then some of those accessories become a necessity.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 11-18-2011 05:25 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Sam Graham
Isn't that an awfully busy business week to be essentially rebuilding the booth and dealing with the potential bugs that come with new and unfamiliar equipment?
The week after Thanksgiving actually tends to be relatively quiet. It's probably the one remaining week of 2011 when a digital conversion isn't a horrible idea. It gives a good window of 2 weeks to get installed and work out the kinks before it starts to get really busy with the December movies.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-18-2011 05:49 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed. We did ours in mid-summer...it was quite the zoo. Early December would have been much quieter!

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-18-2011 06:54 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
We did ours in mid-summer...it was quite the zoo.
Yea, I thought I saw a giraffe stick his head in the booth window... naw... it was the Wolf that ran though the booth... thats what it was.

Ron... I hope you hired a reputable dealer to do your install or that he is at least a qualified Zoo Keeper. There are so many shady ones out there!! (Dealers... not zoo keepers!)

Mark

Ron Funderburg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-18-2011 08:01 PM      Profile for Ron Funderburg   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Funderburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark Strong Technical Services is doing the install Ken Williams will probable the installer that does my theater. I believe we all know him from here!

Bugs we don't need no stinking Bugs I don't got to have no stinking bugs I don't gots to show you no stinking bugs. (miss quote)

Marlon Brando from the new and improved redux Apocalypse Now Redux redone "The Horror, the horror where the hell are you Twinkies"

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-18-2011 09:10 PM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I knew Ken when he was with NCS. He's a good tech.
My booth was converted last August, and the 35mm equipment was scooted off to the sides - some with the platter decks removed - and are still occupying space in my booth. Is someone taking your equipment out after the install, Ron? If not, your space may be really cramped.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: