Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » DCP-trailers showing off digital sound systems

Author Topic: DCP-trailers showing off digital sound systems
Knut Erik Slettum
Film Handler

- posted 11-15-2011 04:00 AM      Profile for Knut Erik Slettum   Author's Homepage   Email Knut Erik Slettum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was wondering if anyone have seen (and heard) DCP-trailers that are specially made for showing off digital cinema sound systems, just like the trailers we used to run for THX, SDDS, Dolby Digital and DTS back in the days of 35mm.
I'm not sure who would produce these trailers, but I'd guess the equipment producers? Doremi, Christie and so on?

|  IP: Logged

Peter Castle
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-15-2011 06:39 AM      Profile for Peter Castle   Email Peter Castle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try Texas Instruments - DLP.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-15-2011 06:54 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
THX has their set. The 3D folks have theirs, DLP has a set, Barco and Christie do...Dolby has several...including "Sphere" that shows off Surround 7.1

So yeah, they are out there. And if you are really desperate, you can use one of the Channel ID "test" DCPs.

-Steve

David Zylstra
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-15-2011 10:16 AM      Profile for David Zylstra   Email David Zylstra   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
TI did one a few years ago with clips of various films, I'm not sure if they are still sending it out but we played it at our locations.

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-15-2011 10:23 AM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know if THX has made a DCP of the old WOW montage?

AJG

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-15-2011 11:38 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dolby's "Countdown" is pretty good. The part of "Sphere" where it says "All! Around! You!" always gets some good reaction from the audience.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 11-15-2011 12:43 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
THX needs to re-create the Cimarron and Grand trailers in DCP format.

As far as sound systems go in d-cinema theaters, THX is the only one that has any sort of legitimate branding.

D-cinema audio is "generic" uncompressed linear PCM. It's better than the lossy compressed Dolby Digital, DTS and SDDS formats, but doesn't have a nifty brand attached to it. Dolby is trying to brand Dolby Surround 7.1 in theaters, but the audio isn't encoded in a Dolby-owned process. It's still LPCM. All Dolby can really do is publicize its booth hardware. I suppose if you have a Dolby Digital Cinema system and a Dolby Cinema Processor then the Dolby 7.1 thing might make at least a tiny bit of sense. Commercial movie theaters use a wide variety of cinema processors, cross overs, amplifiers, speakers, etc. That makes it tough to stick any sort of brand on the audio process. At least with THX there's an overall system or concept that is being achieved (or at least trying to be).

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 11-15-2011 03:46 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The THX "WOW!" montage is still film-only, as are most of the earlier trailers.

Paul Eckhardt
Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2012 12:24 AM      Profile for Paul Eckhardt   Email Paul Eckhardt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know this is kinda an old thread, but I'm actually working on a 7.1 sound system demo in between other projects.
It's gonna be a fighter jet vs a dragon - and instead of showing light bouncing off stuff, I'm going to show sound bouncing off things to show you a little of what they are - and the rest of their presence will be blasting through your lovely 7.1 systems.

And, since I'm really just doing it for fun, I'll be giving it out free to cool theater owners. [Cool]

-

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-13-2012 01:41 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wish there was a softer, melodic sound clip to go with movies that appeal to older audiences, or dramas like "The Vow." The whooshing banging clattering synthesized clips sound really out of place on movies like those. Some of Dolby's older ones would be good IF THEY WERE AVAILABLE ON DCP HINT HINT HINT!

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 03-14-2012 09:51 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're right -- and it shouldn't be that hard to get 'em on DCP since they're all-digital animation anyway...

Steven J Hart
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2012 12:23 PM      Profile for Steven J Hart   Author's Homepage   Email Steven J Hart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To me, its kind of tough to "brand" sound from digital projection. Whether you have a Dolby or USL processor, you are still getting exactly the same sound format, although the processing in the "B" chain is different.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-14-2012 12:27 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think that is part of the reason why the newer Dolby clips just say "Dolby" rather than putting the words "Digital Sound" on there. It's a way to show off the sound system, plus get their name out in public a little more.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: