Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Individual Digital Trailers (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Individual Digital Trailers
Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 11-11-2011 02:56 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anybody had any luck with getting just a few digital trailers?

We only need about 1 or 2 per month (average). Not worth the expense of subscribing to a "Trail Mix" but it would be nice to have trailers for the upcoming shows.

|  IP: Logged

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 11-11-2011 03:22 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there a theatre nearby you can borrow a trail mix from? I haven't seen anything from the studios about distributing trailers outside of the trail mixes, aside from the occasional thumb drive chasing the trail mix.

Manny Knowles

- posted 11-11-2011 03:35 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Justin. I'll see if that approach works out.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 11-11-2011 05:05 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In germany, most trailers are available as downloads from either distributor portals or servicecompanys. Some distributors send emails with download links to registered email adresses.

Trailers typically have 2-4GBytes. These take a while to load, but it works at least for those with broadband. On the other hand, there is no such thing as the trailmix HD shipping over here. Some distributors send trailers on DVD-Rs, rarely USB-Sticks.

Theres also some private exchange, either over filesharing sites or by sending DVD-R to collegues.

Recently, a satellite service started here which transmits trailers automatically to contracted cinemas, and creates playlists incl. advertizing, trailers and mainfeature. Free service, seems to work well. Also transmits KDMs for features. A dedicated simple server is running 24/7 to receive all data without manual intervention, then assembles the playlists and sends them to the screen server.

- Carsten

Manny Knowles

- posted 11-11-2011 05:50 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Carsten. Interesting approach.

I wonder if the distributors would "buy" my fake European accent..? [Wink]

Adam Fraser
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2011 09:41 PM      Profile for Adam Fraser   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Fraser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How much does a Trail Mix subscription cost?

Steven J Hart
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2011 11:37 PM      Profile for Steven J Hart   Author's Homepage   Email Steven J Hart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We haven't been billed for Trail Mix since we switched to Digital projection in September. Trailers were always free on 35 mm (except for shipping). I never suspected we would be charged for them now. Are others being charged a subscription fee?

Elise Brandt
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-12-2011 12:46 AM      Profile for Elise Brandt   Email Elise Brandt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about walking into another cinema with a few thumb drives and asking if you could have a browse into their trailers [Big Grin] copy the ones you want on your stick and take 'em home.

Here in Finland we get all the trailers on thumb drives from the distributors, usually one trailer per drive. Collect the drives in a cardboard box and sent the lot back every once in a while [Big Grin] it's nuts.

Kris Verhanneman
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-12-2011 02:45 AM      Profile for Kris Verhanneman   Email Kris Verhanneman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At our theatre (France) 99.5% of the trailers arrive by satellite.
There is only 1 that provides us sometimes the trailers on DVD.

The usb drives haven't been used for long (I guess most of them never returned).

For Manny: if you have a collegue that plays your trailes let him post them on a rapidshare / megaupload / ... server. Or add a pc that he can copie them on directly (by internet).

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 11-12-2011 09:44 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Manny - some of the service companies do offer trailers in english language and the registration does not contain any reference to a specific location. Might change once their transmission capabilities are challenged. So, I guess you would not have a problem to register on most of them. That wouldn't get you going for all trailers, and it could also sometimes be to late when the movies are not released day'n-date. Also, these trailers have no official MPAA rating, but only the rating by their local country organizations.
But it would be worth a try if you are on a decent broadband line.

- Carsten

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-12-2011 11:58 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
@Steven - Trail Mix and the Deluxe trailer drive are free, and so is the shipping (in the US at least)/.

I can't see why anyone who is digital wouldn't subscribe. All the shipping is automatic - the most you have to do is paste on a label and give the case to the UPS guy.

Manny Knowles

- posted 11-13-2011 07:14 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was told it's $40/month

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-13-2011 08:20 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe someone was confusing the trailer service with regular film shipping -- which does run about $40.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-13-2011 11:58 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Manny you run a college venue don't you? Just a wild guess but maybe they only offer free service to commercial theatres.

Manny Knowles

- posted 01-28-2012 07:41 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Technicolor didn't ask about the kind of theatre.

Anyway, after investigating various methods of DCP creation, I don't think I want trailers to become a huge distraction for me.

So... I'm looking at the Western Digital WD TV products. Any thoughts? Love it? Hate it?

Lemme know!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: