Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » vaguely threatening letter from 20th Century Fox (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: vaguely threatening letter from 20th Century Fox
Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 11-10-2011 02:02 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From yesterday. Apparently real.

I am tempted to call them and ask if this applies to older titles as well or just new releases.

I wonder when they will change their name to "20th Century Fox Video Corporation."

If you want to write to this guy and tell him how you feel, his address is

CHRIS ARONSON
Twentieth Century Fox
10201 West Pico Blvd.,
Bldg. 86, Room 112
Los Angeles, CA 90035

-

|  IP: Logged

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 11-10-2011 02:06 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Key word: "Reduce." Louis

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 11-10-2011 02:06 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had the same question. As I was informed Fox's old titles are handled by Criterion, but I don't know how far back and there are plenty of titles they don't have in 35mm. And, of course, the deal is not in perpetuity.

Oh, and that it is not sustainable in the long term for Fox to maintain duel inventories, but perfectly sustainable for exhibitors to take the hit on the installation and maintenance of digital cinema.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 11-10-2011 04:49 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Martin McCaffery
but perfectly sustainable for exhibitors to take the hit on the installation and maintenance of digital cinema.
Capitalism at work. There is absolutely nothing that says the studios have an obligation to provide any particular format for any particular amount of time. We are lucky that NATO and other the major studios were able to workout VPF deals. The studios could just have easily said we are on our own.

Yes, I know the relationship between studios and exhibitors is supposed to be symbiotic. They need us as much as we need them. But anyone who has been in exhibition for any period of time knows the studios do not do business that way. They view our screens as their entitlement and don't really care whether their terms are beneficial to our business.

Hillary Charles
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-10-2011 04:59 PM      Profile for Hillary Charles   Email Hillary Charles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fox and their demands! We're still trying to pay off that "Miracle Mirror Screen" they forced us to buy!

Okay, it's been a while since I worked at that theater...

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-10-2011 05:02 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The date not mentioned in the letter is 1-1-13!

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 11-10-2011 06:55 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Clearly, with VOD, they do not treasure us or our screens. Louis

Mark Campbell
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-10-2011 07:00 PM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I should start saying goodbye to my favorite independent neighborhood theatres.

Ian Parfrey
Phenomenal Film Handler

From: Imbil Australia 26 deg 27' 42.66" S 152 deg 42' 23.40" E

- posted 11-10-2011 09:13 PM      Profile for Ian Parfrey   Email Ian Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Chris Aronson and 20th Century Fox.

Kindly get fucked.

Yours
Independent Cinemas Worldwide.

Victor Liorentas
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-10-2011 09:21 PM      Profile for Victor Liorentas   Email Victor Liorentas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]

Scott Norwood
Film God

- posted 11-11-2011 08:25 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wrote to him. You should, too.

quote: Justin Hamaker
We are lucky that NATO and other the major studios were able to workout VPF deals. The studios could just have easily said we are on our own.
Not really. These deals pretty much universally suck, requiring the purchase of monitoring service and the signing of NDAs. And they won't help in 5-10 years when the current equipment needs to be upgraded. What really needed (needs) to happen is for there to be a dramatic shift in "film" rental terms.

quote: Mark Campbell
I guess I should start saying goodbye to my favorite independent neighborhood theatres.
If and when this happens, then, pretty much, yes.

Jock Blakley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2011 08:41 AM      Profile for Jock Blakley   Email Jock Blakley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Campbell
Well, maybe not all of them... if we can get twenty years out of this Barco.

Anybody got a truckload of Ushio DXL-65BAs going spare?

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 11-11-2011 11:04 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It may not be a statement we like - but at least they now MAKE official statements. Even if they are not accurate, this will create sort of a domino effect, other distributors will refer to this timeline as well, the word spreads, etc, so, slowly approaching that now fuzzy deadline, it will become more and more of a real deadline.

- Carsten

Scott Norwood
Film God

- posted 11-11-2011 11:51 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Carsten Kurz
It may not be a statement we like - but at least they now MAKE official statements.
Agreed. I should have mentioned this earlier, but I do give them credit for being the first major US distributor to make a statement about this issue that can be taken somewhat seriously.

I still hate John Fithian for his "2013" deadline thing. He is not a film distributor and had no business stating a date, but he did it anyway. Now, it seems to have had some media traction and may become a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 11-11-2011 12:32 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I still hate John Fithian for his "2013" deadline thing. He is not a film distributor and had no business stating a date,
You almost suggest that Fithian will be responsible for the death of film himself. The reality is the date has been sitting on the horizon for several years. Whether it's 2013 or 2015, it's still coming soon.

I image there are very few people who have a better understanding of the digital conversion status and time line than Fithian. His job is to represent theatre owners. I assume the 2013 date came from looking at the state of the industry and from information from the studios about when they would start to cut back on film.

My understanding is (some of) the studios have been saying for a while that they would start to ramp down 35mm once digital installs reached 50% of screens. The industry crossed that 50% mark a couple months ago and the pace is accelerating. Regardless of whether you like the deals, it is to the advantage of most theatres to get in on the VPF deals rather than to get shut out. And many owners had been dragging their feet until the last 6 months or so.

Furthermore, the issue is deeper than just the studios no longer distributing 35mm. We are also seeing the companies who support the 35mm industry fall: local couriers, equipment suppliers and distributors, and equipment manufacturers. The writing is on the wall, whether you choose to read it or not.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: