Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Barco DP100 EFIB question.

Author Topic: Barco DP100 EFIB question.
Eric Robinson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-07-2011 02:30 PM      Profile for Eric Robinson   Email Eric Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't had any encounters with the EFIB board until now, so I'm a bit lost on how to set up this DP100, specifically the presets. Currently the presets are defined as:

Preset number/name (my interpretation)
--------------------------------
3. 3D_Dolby_1998x1080 (3d flat)
4. 3D_Dolby_2048x858 (3d scope)
5. 3D_Dolby_1920x1038 (efib 3d flat)
6. 3D_Dolby_1920x804 (efib 3d scope)

If I understand correctly, the Barco Series 1 DP100 does not support triple flash across the entire chip and thus would be limited to 1920 pixels across. So, why then, on this projector are the presets defined for 1998x1080 and 2048x858 if they can not be used?

Also, can someone provide me with the typical list of macro entries for each preset as well as the specific screen file names, extra file names, and any other useful information.

I could just try running the unit as is, but I'd like to have a fundamental understanding to make sure everything is configured properly.

|  IP: Logged

Arnoud Edens
Film Handler

- posted 11-07-2011 11:49 PM      Profile for Arnoud Edens   Email Arnoud Edens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Possibly/probably the full resolution macros are set to dual-flash instead of triple-flash?

Eric Robinson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-08-2011 12:45 AM      Profile for Eric Robinson   Email Eric Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, what would happen if we show the 3D feature in dual flash? And would this behavior (dual flash) be set by one of the entries in the macro, such as the PCF file or the EXTRA file?

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 11-08-2011 04:40 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Even if the system can not do full format triple flash, it needs to capture the complete image and resize it to the smaller imager estate, so basically the full-res is okay there.

3D settings are separate, and you also need to make up your mind wether your zoom setting can be adjusted to fill the screen again from the cropped imager, or if you need to show it boxed because it is at it's limit.

Has this system been installed properly at this location before, do you just want to understand what is going on, do you need to reconfigure it?

- Carsten

Phil Ranucci
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-08-2011 01:23 PM      Profile for Phil Ranucci   Email Phil Ranucci   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm assuming that you have Communicator? If you log in as a service tech you can rebuild/create your macros. Off the top of my head each requires input select, processing,extra file (3D or no 3D),PCF, measured colors,screen files(masking and resizing). We have a DP2000 with Dolby 3D that I will look up the PCF files you use. Select dual 292 for input, cinema processing, error handling option,your measured colors (this is machine specific so you have to get it measured), and use the no crop screen files to set your masking. Remember that Dolby stores the 3D settings for color in the server. That's all I can recall at the moment.Barco's macro wizard will walk you thru the process somewhat.

Eric Robinson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-09-2011 11:08 AM      Profile for Eric Robinson   Email Eric Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Carsten Kurz
zoom setting can be adjusted to fill the screen
Currently we are able to fill the screen for 1.85, but 2.39 zooms to within 1 foot of the total screen heigth. I am waiting to see how the 3D pans out before I propose a new lens or some other scenario.
quote: Carsten Kurz
Has this system been installed properly at this location before

This system is used, it was brought to this location for install. It still has the presets/macros from the previous location. All I have changed so far is the screen files for presets "2d flat" and "2d scope".
quote: Phil Ranucci
We have a DP2000 with Dolby 3D that I will look up the PCF files you use.
I'm actually familiar with all of the PCF and input files for the newer projectors...I was just a little baffled with this DP100.

I'm actually a Barco certified installer and repair technician, but all of training material and equipment was series 2. Things are usually easier when you learn about the early models first and then learn about the newer ones as they come out. I'm trying to go backwards [uhoh]

One thing for certain, I would say whenever improvements are made to a design, there is almost always some major drawback to it. In the case of Barco series 2 though...I give them a thumbs up for making lots of outstanding positive design changes. [thumbsup]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: