Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » TOWER HEIST incorrect digital projection

Author Topic: TOWER HEIST incorrect digital projection
Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 11-06-2011 06:53 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
TOWER HEIST is now playing in two theatres at Regal's Pearl Highlands 12 Theatre in Sony 4K digital projection and I went there to see it yesterday. It is playing in their largest house (#12) and a smaller auditorium (#1). I wanted to see it in the large house but the first show of the day was in the smaller house but because I went at the wrong time, I settled for that showing. It took me only five minutes after the feature started that I decided to walk out of that auditorium and wait about twenty minutes for the show in the larger house and sit through about twenty minutes of trailers again in the larger auditorium to see the movie properly projected.

House #1 has a very small screen that is not very wide and all it is only good for is movies with a 1.85:1 aspect ratio and not 'scope'. Imagine my dismay to see a 'scope' movie like TOWER HEIST projected on that small screen with no masking on the bottom and top and and a extremely small picture in a two hundred seat auditorium. Watching the movie like this was like watching it at home on a standard television screen. The projection in house #12 was awesome with a properly projected image on a very large wide screen in the correct aspect ratio with good sound and perfect 4K digital projection.

BTW The movie was fantastic and I give it three out of four stars
-Claude

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 11-06-2011 07:19 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Claude S. Ayakawa
good sound and perfect 4K digital projection.

..bet it was a 2K file that was scaled up to fill the Sony's 4K chip if the unit was a single lens projector. There's not that much 4k content out yet.

If the content was shot through a twin lens unit, then the imager chip was split to contain both images-one on top of another - with both 2k information being played together for each lens.

Agree with the movie...definitely good!

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-06-2011 08:52 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I will bet the projection system was set for "flat." On a digital system only the picture size changes, not the aspect ratio.

A press of a button would have probably solved the problem in ten seconds.

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-06-2011 09:24 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or a few taps on a screen... a tiny screen...

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 11-06-2011 09:26 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe it had common width masking?

Keegan O'Brien
Film Handler

- posted 11-06-2011 09:26 PM      Profile for Keegan O'Brien   Email Keegan O'Brien   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Monte L Fullmer
If the content was shot through a twin lens unit, then the imager chip was split to contain both images-one on top of another - with both 2k information being played together for each lens.
Hm?

Tower Heist isn't in 3D...

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 11-06-2011 09:57 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Keegan O'Brien
Hm?

Tower Heist isn't in 3D...

Ummm... He was describing what happens when you run 2D content through the 3D split-lens especially since a lot of locations don't even have the training to do a swap between the 2D and 3D lens...

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 11-06-2011 10:13 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Claude S. Ayakawa
House #1 has a very small screen that is not very wide and all it is only good for is movies with a 1.85:1 aspect ratio and not 'scope'.
Luckily, Brett Ratner frames everything for viewing on non-widescreen TV's [Wink]

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 11-06-2011 11:27 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Chris Slycord
don't even have the training to do a swap between the 2D and 3D lens...

..true, take close to a half hour and some on-screen alignment to go between lenses. Gonna train the typical booth monkey this complicated procedure?

They'll stay twin lens .. just swing up the polarizers (heard that SONY now issued attachment stops for the polarizers to be swung up out of the way for 2-D presentations...) and you're good to go.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-07-2011 01:08 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had this happen to me once. We were stacking a flat movie with a scope one, and for some reason the scope macro didn't fire on one show. The scope movie started in the "flat" format. So it was the same height as a scope movie would be, but that reduced the width to where it looked just like Claude described...too small for the screen. I pressed the correct format button and all was well.

I never did figure out what happened, but to be sure, I deleted that macro from the playlist and re-inserted it. Everything was fine after that.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 11-07-2011 12:53 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thus, what could have happened then with Claude's experience in that one house was that, when the playlist was built, the wrong lens template was used - they used a "Flat 2D" template instead of the "Scope 2D" template.

That'll make it with the makings full closed and you get a "pillarboxed" image on the screen..

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: