Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Issues with NEC NC1500C

Author Topic: Issues with NEC NC1500C
Andreas Hjorth
Film Handler

- posted 11-06-2011 07:57 AM      Profile for Andreas Hjorth   Email Andreas Hjorth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey

Having some issues with the NC1500C in the theater I work. When I change macros it takes about 90 sec for it. It's extremly frustrating, and I wonder if it's supposed to take that long? On the barco dp100 I have it takes about 2 sec.

Also the lamp got stuck when we tried to take it out, have to get a technician to get it out.

And does anyone know of a lamp with longer life than 1500h that will fit in it? In the barco I have an osram 3kW/HS XL lamp with 2200h and it works like a charm. But I don't know of any lamp with longer life than 1500h that will fit in the nec. I just ordered an Ushio DXL-30SN, so weŽll so how it works. The other I had in it (osram 3kW/DHP) started failing on me at around 1000h.

Thanks for any kind of advice. I'm fairly new to this.

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-06-2011 09:14 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In a 3KW package, 1500 is about all the rated life you are going to get. The Ushio will likely last longer than the others if you ignore the lamp-life warning.

-Steve

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 11-06-2011 01:10 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Andreas Hjorth
Having some issues with the NC1500C in the theater I work. When I change macros it takes about 90 sec for it. It's extremly frustrating, and I wonder if it's supposed to take that long?
Checked with your tech for any software upgrade opportunities, being this is an older NEC unit?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-06-2011 01:26 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not sure on how long it should take a 1500 to change macros. Sort of depends on how far the zoom has to change it's position... if it even has a motorized zoom!

The 3000 W/H XL is not a D-Cinema lamp per say although it is approved by both Osram and BARCO for use in the DP-100 and in several other series one projectors. It is a standard short 3kw cinema xenon lamp. The lamp you are using in the NC-1500 IS a short gap high pressure Xeon lamp that is more or less specifically designed for that projector. Note that ALL short gap lamps have a much shorter life span than do regular cinema lamps with the exception of the 2kw Ushio and Osram D-Cinema short gap lamps... and those go for a rated 2400 hours. NEC actually did something very smart when they went to the NC-1600 and the NC-2000. They more or less eliminated the 3kw lamp... and replaced it with the long life 4kw lamp. The new 4kw Ushio lamp that was designed for these two projectors actually overlaps with the 3kw range... meaning that is can do about 2.8 kw to 4.0 kw in just one package... and it has a 1500 hour life span. Cost is a just a little more than the 3kw lamp you use for the NC-1500 and it is a popular 3-D lamp because of it's wide current operating range.

Mark

Andreas Hjorth
Film Handler

- posted 11-06-2011 03:10 PM      Profile for Andreas Hjorth   Email Andreas Hjorth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From what I can find there isn't a whole lot of lamps for the 1500C. But I'm starting to wonder if 3k is really necessary. I'm not sure how you calculate what kind of wattage you need, but the screen is about 2,4x5,7 metres (about 8x19 feet maybe?). Is there an easy way to calculate it? We don't have any 3d-screenings with the nec-projector.

Could it work with an osram 2kW/DHP?

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-06-2011 03:23 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If your screen is in good shape...the DXL-20SN3 is the lamp for you. If NEC would support it, you should be able to go down to a 1200-watt lamp.

Andreas Hjorth
Film Handler

- posted 11-06-2011 03:38 PM      Profile for Andreas Hjorth   Email Andreas Hjorth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't know if it will fit. According to ushio (http://www.ushio.com/products/cinema/dxl4NEC.htm) the only lamp for the 1500C is the DXL-30SN. But as I said before, IŽm new to this, so maybe it will work anyway.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-06-2011 04:06 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The DXL-20 SN3 has the same size pins as your 3kw does and should fit with no trouble. The only iffy part may be the adjustable range of the 1500's xenon rectifier. I will add that I am as equally impressed by the Osram 2kw equivelent of the Ushio SN3 lamp as well and it is considerably LESS expensive here in the states. It has the identical warranty and so far the same brightness fall off with age, etc. is almost identical to the Ushio. We're only aiming for 2400 warranty hours and then pulling the lamps out anyway. No doubt as short gap lamp technology advances on it will only get better AND less expensive as it becomes the new mainstream product.

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: