Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Screen artifact in Moneyball

Author Topic: Screen artifact in Moneyball
Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 11-05-2011 12:06 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just started playing Moneyball yesterday and I have a small white hollow circle (an O) at the bottom left of my picture. It's at the extreme bottom edge/corner of the picture, and on my screen (which is 9'7" high) it's about one inch tall. It's not present during the trailers; it starts with the very first frame of Moneyball, i.e. the Columbia Pictures logo. It's perfectly round, white, and it doesn't move. It stays on-screen for about the length of the first reel (18 minutes or so) and then it disappears. But of course I have no reels.

It must be built-in to the DCP file; if it was corrupted data of some kind I'm pretty sure it just wouldn't play at all.

What is it? And have any of you folks noticed that when you played Moneyball?

|  IP: Logged

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-05-2011 12:51 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gee, it's not on my film print of Moneyball.
But I have noticed that I have to play the digital sound
tracks (Both Dolby & DTS) several points higher than normal
on all three prints I've had or I get complaints of low volume.
And just to make things more "fun" - the "Girl With The Dragon
Tatoo" trailer that came attached is extremely loud. In fact,
there are spots in that trailer where if I look at the little
channel bar-graphthingy on the CP-650, all the screen channels
are mixed at pratcially the same level. (In other words- the
sound coming out of the surrounds is equally as loud as the
screen sound channels) It's impossible for me to run that show
at proper levels without sticking around in the booth to do
a level change after the trailer. Sometimes this is just not
possible since I've got other shows to run & can't be in two
places at the same time, so I have to set a "compromise" level.

(Then again, as far as I'm concerned, EVERY platter show I run
is compromised in quality at some level. But I do the best I
can with what I have to work with under the circumstances)

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 11-05-2011 02:05 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
^^^
1) The places I've worked that ran all trailers in mono were never affected by such issues. [Razz]
2) If you have a decent automation, you could create a program specific for this print that sends a trigger automatically to the 650 to lower the volume during that trailer...

But really, this is a bit out of place here in the thread (and digital section)...

Melanie Loggins
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-06-2011 05:02 PM      Profile for Melanie Loggins   Author's Homepage   Email Melanie Loggins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We showed this two weeks ago and I had a small pink pixel in the same spot! And it went away at some point. (The movie was good enough that I forgot to watch it.) I assumed it was the movie and not our projector, since it wasn't on anything else. Good to know it wasn't just us!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: