Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Making a 7.1 LPCM Snipe

Author Topic: Making a 7.1 LPCM Snipe
Paul Eckhardt
Film Handler

- posted 10-30-2011 01:49 AM      Profile for Paul Eckhardt   Email Paul Eckhardt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wanted to create a 7.1 snipe for my home theater (well, actually 26' screen in a barn), since I had to show off my 7.1 speaker system to all my friends.

Then, an artist wanted to know if I could screen his upcoming 3D music video (dir by me) in theaters.

Then I found this forum filled with grand folks who play the movies I enjoy with the projectors and sound systems I love talking about their trouble with Dolby and dreams of having a proper 7.1 snipe for new lpcm playing systems.

I realized I could combine those three and create a 3D/2D, 7.1 LPCM snipe that would make Dolby's elusive 7.1 snipe look dull -- and play it on my setup, and give it away in DCP form for anyone else who'd like to let their audience know they're getting 7.1.

Although I could try to commercialize this quest and justify buying a proper encoder, I'd rather just wait for OpenDCP to wrap a full 16 channel package, and give it away for free... or let anyone with similar motives and a proper DCP package crunch my files together.

I've sketched out a :30 second spot involving a fighter jet vs a dragon, where instead of showing you the dragon or jet, you hear them (in 7.1!) and see 0s and 1s streaming, flowing, and exploding out of the areas of the jet and dragon causing sound. Wings, breath, scales, rain, jets, rockets, cockpit chatter and such will come into play.

I'd insert a picture, but it's my first post, and I'm not sure if that's frowned upon or not.

Would y'all be interested in screening this? Would anybody be up for wrapping it if openDCP doesn't get 7.1 support in a timely manner? Is :30 too long?

|  IP: Logged

Jake Spell
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-30-2011 06:20 PM      Profile for Jake Spell   Email Jake Spell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to Film Tech!! We love pictures just make sure to read the rules and FAQ's before posting them.

Most snipes are around 30sec and although I dont know of any 7.1 theaters in my area this is something that I would LOVE to see, well hear. It sounds pretty cool. [thumbsup]

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 11-02-2011 09:25 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually it should be quite easy to setup a DCI compliant 24Bit/48KHz 8ch Broadcast Wave file with free audio software. This only needs to be wrapped into MXF.

The DCP packing hardly touches the audio. Only if it is supplied in discrete files or if there is a format mismatch and the DCP software has means to deal with this.

- Carsten

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 01-23-2014 08:35 AM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 812 days since the last post.

William Isaac
Film Handler

- posted 01-23-2014 08:35 AM      Profile for William Isaac   Author's Homepage   Email William Isaac   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This seems like a really good idea, has anything come of it?

David Graham Rose
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-25-2014 07:33 AM      Profile for David Graham Rose   Email David Graham Rose   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No. The dragon's wing clipped the plane and knocked it out of the air and it exploded, killing the dragon. End of story.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: