Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Do you run trailers in 3-D? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Do you run trailers in 3-D?
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-29-2011 08:22 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In general with 3D movies, I usually will run a couple of 2D trailers, followed by a couple of 3D trailers. If the movie is a longish one, I'll run all the trailers in 2D.

We also turn the lights off when the 3D content begins, whether it's trailers or the feature. If it's a really popular movie, I'll run maybe 3 or 4 2D trailers and just one (or none) in 3D so as to keep the lights at "half" a bit longer.

Just wondering what other places do.

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 10-29-2011 08:47 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I put a "put on your 3D glasses" snipe inbetween the two trailer presentation formats on a 3D playlist.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-29-2011 08:55 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well yeah, I do that too, but that pretty much goes without saying.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 10-29-2011 09:12 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The short answer is yes, almost every time.

However, it really depends on what's coming up. I'm running a Muppets trailer on Puss in Boots followed by a couple 3D trailers. I've also run all 2D trailers because I didn't know whether we would play the upcoming 3D titles.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 10-30-2011 02:05 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Course, with a circuit that I belong to, we have trailer lists per feature that comes down from the home office and what's required to be shown - either it be 2 and/or 3D trailers.

As for lights: half light during all trailers, both DCP and 35mm, and full dim for feature.

Kris Verhanneman
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-30-2011 02:35 AM      Profile for Kris Verhanneman   Email Kris Verhanneman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Same here.
The booking service says what they need on it. After that we adapt a little. Before the commercials we try to keep it all in 2D and before the main feature we play 3D trailers (if the film is in 3D).

As for the lights, half during trailers and commercials. Fully off during main feature (+ attached trailers).

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-30-2011 02:39 AM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Same, we get a log with the trailer placements for the week. However if I'm showing a 3D film I would always be putting on the 3D trailers over the 2D trailers. Not sure why you wouldn't run them, people payed to come see a 3D show. Why wouldn't you give them the trailers in 3D?

Also Mike, why do you turn the lights down once a 3D trailer hits the screen? Just curious, artistic reasons? More light hitting the screen then you'd like for 3D presentation, leaving it look washed out?

Oz Izhak
Film Handler

- posted 10-30-2011 05:57 PM      Profile for Oz Izhak   Email Oz Izhak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
same same in israel ,we have problem with the lights becouse its not turn off automaticlly.
I have only one controller for one machine.:/

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-30-2011 08:46 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Kurt Zupin
Also Mike, why do you turn the lights down once a 3D trailer hits the screen? Just curious, artistic reasons? More light hitting the screen then you'd like for 3D presentation, leaving it look washed out?
Just to compensate for the darker 3D picture. If we still have a ton of people in the concession stand when the first 3D trailer hits, I'll over-ride the cue and keep the lights at half till the feature starts.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-30-2011 10:59 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does 3D really eat up that much light? That's just sad... actually pathetic, really. And if there is a line at concessions, Mike, shouldn't you be downstairs helping out instead of upstairs playing projectionist? Digital is supposed to eliminate anyone from entering the booth unless a bulb needs to be changed. Also, why do you show 5 trailers? That's too many! 4 is pushing it, but acceptable.

William F Green
Film Handler

- posted 10-30-2011 11:33 PM      Profile for William F Green   Email William F Green   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always think 5 trailers is an acceptable maximum - but then we don't run commercials (ads) so I suppose that helps.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-31-2011 12:39 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Monte L Fullmer
I put a "put on your 3D glasses" snipe inbetween the two trailer presentation formats on a 3D playlist.
Why? Are you saying that your customers who paid extra to see a movie in 3D and are holding 3D glasses are too stupid to realize when the 3D content starts they should put the glasses on?

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 10-31-2011 01:56 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Nah..." I just do it to present a dying tradition: that golden touch of showmanship.

Since I have 2D trailers on first, I've seen patrons not having the glasses on and also seen them still not put the glasses on when a 3D trailer hits the screen until later.

Thus, like a "Starts Friday","Kiddie Show Matinee", or other snipe that was placed on the trailer reel pak of old, I place the glasses snipe on-to get them prepared for a 3D presentation.

I even add the "Real D" bumper snipe before the actual feature begins.

On a Side Note: when we have a Thurs night midnight showing of a hot feature that opens on the Friday and I have sold out houses, I'll manually pull the lights down before I start the feature..you should hear the audience scream with delight .. and that is total fun to see and hear..Reminds me of starting a Rocky Horror Picture Show movie.

Gotta have a bit of fun ... - Monte

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-31-2011 06:16 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually what we really need is a "Please don't put your 3D glasses on yet" for the 2-D content. I've had kids tell me "the 3-D isn't working!" when we're showing a 2-D trailer.

Paul Eckhardt
Film Handler

- posted 10-31-2011 11:30 PM      Profile for Paul Eckhardt   Email Paul Eckhardt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would love to make a "Son, it ain't 3D yet, set those shades back down" snipe for ya, especially if private messaged me or started a new topic, as not to derail this illustrious discussion on showmanship.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: