Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Puss N Boots 7.1 audio track

Author Topic: Puss N Boots 7.1 audio track
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-28-2011 02:06 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Beware of the 7.1 audio version of this movie. It is a “descriptive narrative” for the hearing impaired, not the normal soundtrack.

The 5.1 version is normal.

I have a sneaky feeling there will be a new version file very soon.

|  IP: Logged

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 10-28-2011 02:21 AM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Glad someone else is having the same problem. We called Technicolor and they said we must have pins reversed.

Chris Knighten
Film Handler

- posted 10-28-2011 01:17 PM      Profile for Chris Knighten   Email Chris Knighten   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 3D 7.1 version has the descriptive narrative coming out of the right channel.
The 2D 7.1 version plays just fine.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 10-28-2011 11:57 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Had the keys for Puss in Boots been active prior to 8:00am Thursday, Technicolor would have known about the issue in time to get replacement drives out for Friday. On the same day this happens, we had several smaller releases where the keys were not active until 6:00pm Thursday evening.

In a way, having this happen on a major tent pole release may be to the benefit of theatres.

What's really interesting is when we initially called Technicolor at about 9:30 Thursday night, they tried telling us it was a problem with our system. So apparently they did no know it was an issue as 9:30pm Pacific the night before the movie opened.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-29-2011 11:20 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
We had already notified them. I guess they ignored the warning.

Still though, if they are going to lock this stuff down like this, they damn well need to start playing EVERY version of the movie on EVERY server out there to ensure compatibility.

Kerry Fleming
Film Handler

- posted 10-29-2011 01:47 PM      Profile for Kerry Fleming   Author's Homepage   Email Kerry Fleming   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Received a replacement drive from Technicolor this morning! Found problem during QC Thursday night. Playing Puss in 5.1 since.

Robert D Hall
Film Handler

- posted 10-29-2011 02:31 PM      Profile for Robert D Hall   Author's Homepage   Email Robert D Hall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 7.1 and 5.1 must be the same. We are playing the 5.1 version because thats the only version key they sent us. But if you play the 5.1 version in the 7.1 format you still get descriptive narrative from channels 6 and 7.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 10-29-2011 05:28 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Robert,

Channels 7/8 are almost always Descriptive though they are to migrated to channels 15/16 to free up 7/8. Unfortunately, the ADA channels were on 7/8 due to limitations on early players (only supported 8-channels) and early systems that were not planned for beyond 8-channels though DCI was always for a 16-channel system. 7/8 were supposed to be for LC/RC channels...which I think now are designated for 9/10, which is why LSb, RSb are 11/12.

This leaves us with 4 out of 16 channels for ADA! Which is totally absurd...the migration should have been immediate or not at all.

-Steve

Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-31-2011 09:15 AM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got a call Friday from a tech saying VI-N was coming out of the right speaker and asking if there was some configuration on the JSD-100 that was incorrect. I'm glad to hear it was a packaging problem! He did fix it by going to the 5.1 version. He did not tell me what the movie was, since I was supporting the JSD-100.

Anyway, on to channel assignments... As I currently understand it, Interop packaging puts HI/VI-N on streams 7 and 8 in the package. Servers do no audio routing on Interop packages, so HI/VI-N shows up on AES 7/8. SMPTE packaging, which should start next year some time, supports audio channel naming and routing. So where the audio is in the package will make no difference. The server can be configured to put the audio on any AES channel. Since installations are currently playing Interop content and have HI/VI-N wired to AES 7/8, it's most likely that servers will be configured to put HI/VI-N on AES 7/8.

I DO recall a document showing HI/VI-N on 15/16, though I can't find it now. That also put dBox on 13, and rear surrounds on 11 and 12. Does anyone know of a document like that? It MIGHT be NATO, though I'll have to check.

Thanks!

Harold

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 11-02-2011 08:53 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.isdcf.com/ISDCF/Technical_Documents.html

It's unbelievable that DCI did not have a go at this from the beginning.

Apart from this - some servers, like the Sony and the Doremi with current software, have software routing for audio channels. But a hardware patchbay is still a good idea for anyone who is after more than 5.1. And sometimes even for those who do not.

- Carsten

Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-03-2011 08:20 PM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://isdcf.com/papers/ISDCF-Doc4-Interop-audio-channel-recommendations.pdf shows HI/VI-N at channels 7/8. With interop packages, I understand that package channels normally directly correlate with AES channels. With SMPTE packages, channels are labeled in the package and can be routed to whatever AES output. Since existing installations are wired to play Interop content, the AES assignments are likely to stay as they are currently wired. SMPTE routing will probably just putt HIVI on AES 7/8. However, I do recall seeing a document putting HI/VI on 15 and 16. but can't find that now. Once we have routing based on SMPTE packages, it probably doesn't matter much.

Harold

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: