Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » satellite distribution for subrun (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: satellite distribution for subrun
Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 10-17-2011 11:37 AM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How does satellite distribution work for subrun theatres like mine? How, for example, would I get a feature that's four weeks old? Do/would they (the ubiquitous "they") download a copy of the movie just-for-me when I have it booked? Or does it get sent out for its initial release date and if you don't save it on something right at that moment you're outta luck?

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-17-2011 05:51 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am totally guessing here, but I would bet that the satellite "prints" get distributed just like regular prints do, in other words they get sent out once a week, even if the movie is "older."

However given the way this industry does things I'm sure they've figured out a way to make it incredibly complicated.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 10-17-2011 07:07 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What I've heard is you would have a media server from Technicolor which would receive every feature film and then transfer it to your LMS once you have a booking. So at any given time you would have every film in release on your server, but they would not be playable.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 10-17-2011 08:41 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Justin has it right. Using the code key, you would then "unlock" whatever is booked. Louis

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-18-2011 12:12 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Both of you are incorrect. All of the mainstream content is on the satellite and downloads to the server at each location, but until your theater has an official booking, it will not be visible to your theater.

For non-mainstream stuff, hard drives are still sent, as satellite time is too expensive for the small release stuff. Also despite the encryption on the content, the studios don't even want you having the content if you aren't booked for it.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 10-18-2011 12:18 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..You can still kid your kid show series on HD's nowdays.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 12-14-2011 01:34 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just got a flyer in the case with this week's Trail Mix hard drive titled "Why Drive when you can Fly!", flogging their satellite distribution service. This is the first time I've seen anything about this on an actual piece of paper.

It says to call or email for more information so I just sent them an email and it'll be interesting to see what they say about it.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-14-2011 03:41 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll bet it costs over 10 grand to get into it, which is crazy considering it's really just storage and a satellite dish. It'll be interesting to find out. I hope I'm wrong. But, if it costs more than about $30 per movie it wouldn't be worth it.

Ron Funderburg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-14-2011 03:49 PM      Profile for Ron Funderburg   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Funderburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got the flyer today in trail mix as well. Haven't read it yet! Soon I guess.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 12-14-2011 04:04 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All the information that I currently have is what's printed on the flyer, and it says:

quote:
No Equipment to Buy
No Installation Fees
Reduces Physical Shipments of Hard Disk Drives
Immediate Savings through Discounted Print Delivery Fees
24x7 Customer Support

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 12-14-2011 04:43 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It wouldn't work if they'd charge any upfront cost. Only that you will find that the content you want to book for your subrun has been sent over the dishes weeks or months ago. And you wil have to order discs again. There is not enough capacity on these transponders to have all content there all the time. It is only economically feasible to have the mainstream content on it around the release window.

- Carsten

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-14-2011 05:05 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well...I sure like the "no equipment to buy" part!

Ron Funderburg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-14-2011 05:07 PM      Profile for Ron Funderburg   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Funderburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Me to Mike and I don't even own the place! I guess Technicolor puts the equipment in for you.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-14-2011 10:07 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Besides, HD delivery is more of a solid way to get your content and to be ingested correctlly..satellite feed seems to "iffy" to ensure a 100% delivery..

Steven J Hart
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-14-2011 10:16 PM      Profile for Steven J Hart   Author's Homepage   Email Steven J Hart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Of course this would only be good for content managed by Technicolor. I won't hold my breath waiting for them to install this system in my single screen...

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: