Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » what is e-cinema?and 1.3k digital vs 35mm reception

Author Topic: what is e-cinema?and 1.3k digital vs 35mm reception
Atif Chaudhary
Film Handler

- posted 10-14-2011 06:38 AM      Profile for Atif Chaudhary   Email Atif Chaudhary   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
what is e cinema,as some one told me its only for indian movies,want to know it in detail what equipment it is,as in pakistan mostly demand is for indian movies.my 2nd question is whats the diffrence in reception with compare to 35mm,as it is not 2k.i have a choice between 35mm old tech against ithis e cinema.thanks

|  IP: Logged

Paul Gordon
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-14-2011 08:28 AM      Profile for Paul Gordon   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Gordon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Go with 35mm. E cinema can be pretty much anything, from standard def DVD's, to compressed digital files (AVI's, MOV's etc..) to blu-ray. The quality will depend on the format and the video projector.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 10-14-2011 09:29 AM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is also a number of proprietary systems like, in this country, Emerging Cinema. It is marketed as being something for those who can't afford DCI, especially special venues who don't do film regularly. For some of those places it works fine. But the various providers are not compatible with each other, so you are essentially locked in unless you want to buy into each of the different providers systems. Currently there are no standards for e-cinema in this country.

I believe some of the Australians on the list have more experience with e-cinema.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 10-15-2011 07:29 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A report in Cinema Technology Magazine on cinema india expo 2011 cites numers of 6000 E-Cinema installations in india vs. 700 DCI - although that sentence breaks up somehow and it is not clear what these numbers actually could mean.

For the indian market, E-Cinema has a completely different meaning than for the western cinema markets.

Atif - read it up here and learn some facts and names, might give you a starting point for further investigation:

http://www.cinematechnologymagazine.com/

- Carsten

Love Malik
Film Handler

- posted 12-06-2011 12:23 PM      Profile for Love Malik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi crasten
As Martin says E-Cinema is totally proprietary system they have their own rules. In Indian market basically three companies providing all system which have their own standards.
Its very cheap in compare to 2K. That's why its increasing in rural areas.

David Favel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-06-2011 09:53 PM      Profile for David Favel   Email David Favel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All depending on what product is available and WILL BE IN THE FUTURE.
Talk to your booker/distribution contact as you cannot make this decision without knowing what will be available in the future.
I am running 35mm alongside an ecinema system.
I use the ecinema (Panamedia player with a 720 data projector)
for preshow + ads and an occasional ecinema movie.
However in the future (in NZ)ecinema movies will not be distributed.

Mark Uhde
Film Handler

- posted 12-07-2011 01:23 AM      Profile for Mark Uhde   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Uhde   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
E-cinema can really be anything. I could take my cheap single-chip DLP 800x600 projector used for small meeting room business projection and stuff like that, and hook it up to a DVD player, project onto a small movie screen, get the rights to show the movie for profit and ta-da - E-cinema.

Are most of the setups that bad? No. But it's a huge debate whether D-Cinema is better or worse than 35mm. It would be VERY hard to find an E-Cinema setup anyone would consider better than 35mm (it could be done, to be honest a Blu-Ray disc playing through a professional-grade three chip DLP projector in a good theater would be indistinguishable from D-Cinema to most people).

Thus, go with 35mm if E-cinema or 35mm is your choice [Smile]

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 12-07-2011 01:41 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ECinema is anything that is not DCI compilant. This can range from, as your say, low res 800x600 Walmart video projectors to VERY expensive, high res projectors -- even 4K like the latest JVC. DCinema has no lock on some magic technology that can't be applied to ECinema video projection, what makes it "special" is that it's got all the globbed on DCI security in its innards that's supposed to stop piracy and that's why the studios will only allow their product to run on those DCinema projectors and not ECinema projectors. And that, of course, means you don't get first run product if all you've got is an ECinema setup no matter how good it is....not that a worthy ECinema projector won't look perfectly acceptable, just that all you'll be able to run on it is stuff that is 3 to 6 months old. Best you can do is wait for titles to come out on BluRay, and then fight like a dog to get the studio to give you a license for commercial exhibition.

BTW, how good is all that costly anti-piracy security system working for them? It can be easily ascertained by checking out all the first run, blu-ray quality titles that are available day-and-date from a variety of torrent internet sites.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: