Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » why is the "digital transition period" being handled so badly? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Author Topic: why is the "digital transition period" being handled so badly?
Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 10-12-2011 12:04 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The subject line pretty much says it: why are the "film" distributors botching this transition so badly? (Or are they?)

Specifically, this is what seems to be going wrong with the transition from 35mm to D-cinema:

- for the most part, the distribution and exhibition industry seems to be operating under the assumption that 35mm film prints of new releases will not be available at some point in the forseeable future, yet not one distributor has set a firm, believable, realistic deadline for the end of 35mm print availability, nor has anyone (to my knowledge) told exhibitors that they must install D-cinema equipment in order to have continued access to new titles

- as far as I know the only actual dates that have been mentioned (and which, sadly, people keep quoting as "fact") come from NATO, which is not actually in the business of distributing motion pictures

- NATO supposedly exists to represent the interests of theatre owners, yet is not fighting this or at least pushing for better transparency from distributors; why?

- because of the above, the communication between distributors and exhibitors about this issue has been just horrible; contrast this with the cyan-dye track issue (another example of replacing something that worked well with something that was demonstrably inferior in the name of shifting costs from distributors to exhibitors): exhibitors had about six or seven years in which to spend the $1-2k per screen that was needed to install LED readers to play cyan tracks...now, there is an implied threat (with no real information) that exhibitors who do not spend $60-70k per screen to install D-cinema equipment will be unable to play new titles within a few years

- the VPF deals that seem to exist (to my knowledge) are not transparent and may treat exhibitors unequally, even if the exhibitors are in the same class (e.g. mainstream first-run cinemas in top markets); they tend to come with some rather nasty conditions and are often covered by non-disclosure agreements (generally not a good sign); this will require that exhibitors somehow increase their revenue (or reduce costs) to cover these upcoming costs, yet there seems to be no indiciation of how or why this can happen

- there are many categories of exhibitors for whom no viable VPF deal exists

- there is no provision for VPFs for the second round of D-cinema equipment after the first becomes obsolete; that cost will likely be covered entirely by the exhibitors (those who don't close their doors before then, anyway)

- the two largest US exhibitors (AMC and Regal) have signed deals with Sony, the purveyor of what seems to be (from reading here and elsewhere) the most generally disliked equipment in the industry (I have no personal experience with their D-cinema products)

- at least some of the equipment that is currently in the marketplace and which is being sold and installed for D-cinema is not fully DCI-compliant

- the technology that is being pushed by manufacturers is still in its early stages and is still lacking in many areas

My take on the current situation is that the industry has created a giant mess for itself, which only promises to get worse in the forseeable future. The whole push for exhibitors to install new equipment seems to be based on implied threats, with no real details and limited credibility. For those who agree with this opinion, why has this happened? Why haven't distributors done a better job of keeping exhibitors informed of their plans and made more of an attempt to work together to achieve a goal which, for the most part, offers few benefits to exhibitors. For those who disagree with me, what am I missing?

I should point out here that these observations come from the point of view of a third-party observer. My involvement in the exhibition industry at this point is extremely limited outside of film festivals and special events. I have no financial interest in or close involvement with any of this (regardless of the outcome), but I do like film (actual, physical film) and hope that it is able to survive in so me form for many years to come, at least for screenings of older titles and for filmmakers who want their work exhibited by mechanical and photochemical means rather than electronic means.

I am not so delusional as to suggest that this industry will never or should never embrace the interesting possibilities offered by electronic transmission and digital projection, but I do think that the transition has been premature and poorly handled. I work with computers every day in my "real job" (not in the cinema industry) and know quite well what benefits and challenges this transition will bring to the industry. I will be the first to say that I find the technology interesting, but I also believe quite strongly that it has a long way to go before it becomes a mainstream product.

Edit: Why is it so hard to find anyone who has informed opinions on this issue, but who has no financial stake in it? I'm sure that the dealers and technicians love the extra sales and installation work that this has brought in (expecially compared to something that lasts 25-50 years with little attention), and I know that projectionists hate it (because it reduces the number of available jobs) and theatre owners generally aren't thrilled about it (due to the cost), but there are few objective opinions about this transition that I have seen (here or elsewhere). Theatre managers probably come the closest, though.

[ 10-12-2011, 02:20 PM: Message edited by: Scott Norwood ]

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 10-12-2011 12:29 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Scott Norwood
....yet not one distributor has set a firm, believable, realistic deadline for the end of 35mm print availability...
You kinda said it here in a nutshell - looks like they are still willing to strikes prints for those who needs them.

Kinda looks like the studios wants to stay in business making prints for anybody...not push the little guy out the door and lose their business.

in my "real job" (not in the cinema industry)
Now, I'm curious on this statement for I've heard it before: what would be the difference between the "real job" and the cinema industry? Both occupations can earn the employee an income, both occupations CAN be fun, esp when it's a career based occupation and not just a "McJob", et.al. ..

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 10-12-2011 12:45 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why is it so hard to find anyone who has informed opinions on this issue, but who has no financial stake in it?
Because it is ALL about the financial interests.

It's not about art. It's not about quality.

Depending on which side of the checkbook you are on, it IS about efficiency (where efficiency is defined as the most amount of money for the least amount of investment).

Had a talk with a rep from a small arthouse distributor yesterday. They are as pissed as many of us small theatres are about the conversion. Film makes sense for them because most of us are film. When they have a film with crossover potential, they'll do a DCP of the print, but they can't make money on it because of the VPF-- it's still a small art film and is not going to be playing for weeks and weeks to compensate for the fee. They've been able to negotiate away the fee in a couple of instances, but have had to eat it in others.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 10-12-2011 12:49 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think anyone has issued any firm dates for the end of 35mm because there are still too many unknown variables. From the perspective of the the studios, this will largely be determined by when the cost of a 35mm print is no longer justified by the gross said print will generate. Even as print orders begin to decline, each print still has the potential to generate well more than it's cost as it moves from one theatre to the next.

From a theatre perspective, individual owners who have not yet converted will have to make their own decision as to when print availability begins to undermine their business to the point where they can no longer afford not to go digital.

I disagree about the equipment not yet being mature enough to replace film. While the long term reliability of series 2 projectors may not be known, the picture quality is superior to 35mm in the average location. I know some FT detractors will swear otherwise, but I'm going by my own eyes and the comments I've received from customers.

The lack of transparency in the VPF deals is something I find troubling. I am not really involved in that end, so my understanding is limited. But the fact that the banks are being told the information and told not to discuss it will the people they are lending money to is beyond troubling. It does make you think there are shady deals happening.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 10-12-2011 12:52 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Theatre managers probably come the closest, though.

...since it made their work tons easier and not having to worry on what is going on upstairs. Sure, they may have to do the DCP builds, but that's all computer work now, in which they are accustomed to at the beginning.

Scott Norwood
Film God

- posted 10-12-2011 01:20 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Monte L Fullmer
Now, I'm curious on this statement for I've heard it before: what would be the difference between the "real job" and the cinema industry? Both occupations can earn the employee an income, both occupations CAN be fun, esp when it's a career based occupation and not just a "McJob", et.al. ..
I did not intend this to be disparaging in any way. I know plenty of people who make their living in the exhibition industry, and I have the highest respect for them. There are some very good people in this business and I am happy to know some of them personally.

I was simply trying to imply that the majority of my income is derived from a different occupation. I very much enjoy my full-time job, and I consider movie stuff to be a hobby of mine. I find it very satisfying to help make movies look and sound as good as they possibly can, but that is not what keeps my lights on and puts food on my table.

quote: Justin Hamaker
I disagree about the equipment not yet being mature enough to replace film. While the long term reliability of series 2 projectors may not be known, the picture quality is superior to 35mm in the average location. I know some FT detractors will swear otherwise, but I'm going by my own eyes and the comments I've received from customers.

I will not argue with your opinion (especially with some of the crappy prints from 2K DIs that we see all too often now), but my emphasis here is more on the operational and business issues, anyway. At the very least, I suspect that few would say that [dlp] is more reliable and/or less expensive than 35mm from the point of view of the exhibitor.

One additional point that I failed to make earlier: it will be interesting if the distributors end up getting bitten by their own creation. If they continue to provide prints for some time, they will be paying a) a higher cost per print as print volume declines, b) VPFs to many of the venues which screen a DCP, and c) the additional expense to create the DCP and issue keys. It is entirely conceivable that, at least in the short-term future, this mixed-inventory situation may be more expensive for distributors than if they had stuck with 35mm film exclusively (with the associated reduced print costs due to higher volume).

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 10-12-2011 02:18 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott: I think you have a full understanding of the "digital problem."

This is the primary reason I have closed Hadden Theatre Supply. I think that there will be no customers left for me, and no small customers for digital.. Louis

Bernie Anderson Jr
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-12-2011 02:45 PM      Profile for Bernie Anderson Jr   Author's Homepage   Email Bernie Anderson Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As far as Im concerned, the theatre industry is so flaky that even as a manager, it doesn't feel like a real job anymore. For the most part, at the theatre level, chains would prefer kids (19-21) to run their theatres. They are cheap, usually unmarried and can move around freely, and if they don't want to move, they find another job for the same minimal pay. Most of the people I know in the theatre industry, do have a second job or a "real job" because there is very little pay and with this digital conversion it is pushing the "professionals" out and the end product will be another business that is operated mostly by kids like a buger king or McDonalds.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 10-12-2011 02:59 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No prob on that question, Scott, for I've been "scolded" at by a few for working in the theatre industry and not getting a "real job" - like, "what's it to them .. to date, this has been the most stable occupation (so far..lol) that I ever had and seen those other who "scolded" me, been laid off a few times off of their jobs.

VPFs to many of the venues which screen a DCP
..isn't this what Cinedigm is doing now if the studio's VPF's are drying up?

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 10-12-2011 03:04 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe I commented on another thread about not one "adult" left in the building.

And unlike fast food joints, there is a lot of complex equipment, plus money at stake if you dump a full house.

Sad outcome looming.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 10-12-2011 04:30 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Sam D. Chavez
not one "adult" left in the building
Yep, "kids playing in the sandbox, making up their own rules as they go along" sort of episode.

Bob Bregazzi
Film Handler

- posted 10-12-2011 04:35 PM      Profile for Bob Bregazzi   Email Bob Bregazzi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
it is exactly the same over here. i've spent the last 43yrs in the cinema industry, the last 23 of them with odeon cinemas who will before the year is out be fully digital. i accepted voluntary redundency along with all the old odeon old school techs. the majority of us were in the union and we were seen as "trouble" and they wanted us out but knew they would have to pay us to get rid of us. apart from that techs from all circuits are going as well. boxes (we don't call them booths here) are run by kids and sausage turners from the floor. it's a very sad state of affairs and going to get worse i'm affraid. by the way there is a good book out here by a guy called mark kermode who is a film critic for the bbc and is very outspoken in his views, it's called "the good, the bad and the multiplex, well worth a read if you can get it, got my copy from amazon.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 10-12-2011 06:03 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The above description (and all of this digital stuff in general)sorta reminds me as a parent on how our kids react when around the parents: in being of ...

1) "That is how you guys think, where we want to find our way on how to think and do things - we'll find the truth our own way." (then, they'll poke at truth with a very long stick so none of it will get on them...lol)

2) When they see an older cinema, the first thing that pops in their mind is: "This was the cinema that mom and dad went to. This is not the cinema that we, our generation, want to attend. We can't see ourselves attending where mom and dad attended. We want the new, new, and new!"

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-12-2011 06:26 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So aside from kids running many theaters now how is the digital conversion going so badly? Btw: many of those kids will be running this country some day!! I just don't see real problems other than smaller profits in sales and VPF racks taking for ever to get. There is no short supply of projection equipment and at least the DLP equipment works. Sony isn't even a factor in this conversion as far as I'm concerned. What, they have about 8,000 projectors world wide now compared to DLP's close to 40,000? Please! Anyone buys a Sony deserves the Sony related problems that go along with them!

I was smart and jumped into digital almost at the very beginning and it's been going pretty good for me having done digital installs, repairs, etc. almost non-stop in varying volumes ever since. If you as a dealer didn't jump into it in the very beginning then it IS probably too late now. However, if your customers are actually loyal and if you've done a good job for them they won't mind paying a little extra to buy it from you and to continue to get your great services. No National type technical services outfit can begin to give any sort of quality-reliable-consistant service on this sort of scale!! You might get a good tech one time and a brand new to digital guy the next time...LOL! They will try and they will fail and they already have failed in many locations. I think wise theater owners already know that. Theaters from one screen to how ever many can get VPF's and actually get back a large chunk of what they invested in the systems And... this doesn't preclude the dealer or the independent service tech from making the sales and doing the install-maintainance work.

Mark

Scott Norwood
Film God

- posted 10-12-2011 07:07 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
how is the digital conversion going so badly
It is going badly because many exhibitors are spending or considering spending significant amounts of cash to install new equipment based upon an implied threat. As more exhibitors do this, a feedback loop is created whereupon the reduction in film-based exhibition creates paranoia and fear and encourages other theatre owners to spend money to install equipment. In this process, some exhibitors are receiving large subsidies (VPFs) for the new equipment, while others are financing the equipment themselves (either by choice or by necessity). And none of the new equipment (with the possible exception of 3D) is likely to increase ticket sales one bit.

This could have all been solved if film distributors (err..."content providers") had communicated their intentions for the future clearly and openly. As far as I know, they have not done this.

As for the failings of the technology and the current state of operations, I will list a few that come to mind:

Documentation - manuals for pretty much any film projector ever made can be found on this site in the "manuals" section. Look there now and see exactly how many D-cinema manuals are there and contrast that with the number of various types of equipment that are available. The Dolby server (which I believe is otherwise a decent product) has an installation manual which is nearly useless and NO OPERATIONS MANUAL. This is crazy. What is everyone trying to hide? Manufacturers should be bugging Brad to post all of their manuals here (or at least make them available freely and without registration on their own web sites), but they are not doing this.

DCI compliance issues - This came up in another thread--some servers will not play a valid DCP with no soundtrack. The Sony 4K projector is not DCI compliant when showing 2D material with the 3D lens installed, yet distributors are not refusing to supply their content for it. If distributors are going to insist on DCI compliance, then they should refuse to supply content to non-DCI-compliant installations (including the many series-1 installations which have not been upgraded). That is not happening.

Key delivery - As far as I can tell, this requires the intervention of the server manufacturer and some third party which has the master key for a particular DCP. What happens if/when the manufacturer decides to stop supporting a particular model of server and/or goes out of business?

Stupid design issues - D-cinema gave manufacturers a chance to actually improve certain presentation issues, but it is still possible to show a flat DCP in scope, or vice-versa. Why is this even possible?

Secrecy - There is a ridiculous amount of "security through obscurity" with the D-cinema infrastructure. If I buy a server, I expect to be able to find out how it works, how to fix it when it breaks, and get all of the necessary root passwords. Equipment manufacturers seem to not be providing this information. The general attitude seems to be that everything is fine and that lowly users should not be troubled with the details. Too many procedures require a technician with the magical key sequences and passwords. The same applies to the nondisclosure clauses in many of the VPN deals. Why is everyone so afraid? This is unacceptable.

DCP format itself - This has way too many limitations that will prevent its adoption for many markets until or unless it is extended. It says nothing about aspect ratios other than 1.85 and 2.39, its approach to cinemascope is a bad joke, and there is no support for frame rates other than 24 or 48 (no, I will not bring MXF/interop into this discussion, as it is not the standard). The specification itself says nothing about how the actual distribution media need to be formatted (filesystem, file structure) and the naming convention is not standardized (there is an incomplete "recommendation," but no actual standard. Again, this was a chance to actually improve some aspects of presentation, and, again, this has not happened.

Should I continue?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: