Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Digital Nightmare At Vancouver Film Fest (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Digital Nightmare At Vancouver Film Fest
Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-12-2011 09:00 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
. . . "but digital is better"... [Roll Eyes]

Just like Toronto 2011 and many festivals over the past year, the digital evolution stumbled big when VIFF scheduled numerous DCP (Digital Cinema Projection, the gold standard of high definition digital cinema) screenings in the Granville 7, the biggest house in the Granville multiplex, only to be left high and dry with two faulty projectors. Yes, the emergency system flown in to replace the first also failed to work and in place of high quality, 4K DCP prints, audiences were left with projected DVD screeners (complete with company watermarks) of some of the most heavily attended films of the first weekend. I sat through one but couldn't do it a second time when The Front Line came out bleary and blurry, with colors off and an incorrect aspect ratio. Some of those problems were fixed a few minutes after I ducked out, I've been informed, but it's still an inadequate substitute for what was supposed to be a state-of-the-art digital presentation. I've adjusted my Sunday schedule accordingly to skip the DCP presentations entirely (unless I hear that the system has been repaired) and look to other theaters.

>Story excerpted from Film Programmers ListServ<
Original Source Link

|  IP: Logged

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-12-2011 11:36 AM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What was the system?

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-12-2011 02:39 PM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty sure the system in question is a Dolby system that was specifically installed for the festival. Normally this theatre is all film and has no plans to go digital.....

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 10-12-2011 04:26 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm...4K is not released on Dolby servers yet...perhaps you are speculating? Also, the implication was that the projectors were at fault and Dolby does not make those.

I wonder what the real equipment was.

-Steve

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-12-2011 05:34 PM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, it's definitely a Dolby server. A friend of mine is covering the festival as well took a snapshot of the screen in the cinema in question;

-

As for the projector, the festival is sponsored by Christie, so they might be using a Christie unit.

The 4K statement by the author of the article is most likely incorrect.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 10-12-2011 06:21 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How did they play the screener? Did they have to bring in a 3rd projector? I cringe at the thought that someone may have brought in a power point projector to run with in a pinch :/

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-12-2011 07:42 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Olpin
How did they play the screener? Did they have to bring in a 3rd projector? I cringe at the thought that someone may have brought in a power point projector to run with in a pinch :/
that's the million dollar question here, I assume the third projector was so subpar that's the reason why the projected image looked like shit.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 10-12-2011 07:48 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Screeners almost always look terrible. And I handle a few hundred each year, trust me. Almost always leterbox on 4:3, watermarked, sometimes over the top of subtitles. They never look good even projected through a DLP Cinema projector.

Of course, a low quality video projector wouldn't help. [Wink]

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 10-12-2011 08:41 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ron,

Note...the Dolby logo on the screen means nothing...a DCP file can play on any player but it is highly likely that it IS a Dolby server since one may not back a file off of brand A's server and put it on brand B server. That is not the case with test patterns that are on the projector itself. You can run a Christie pattern on a NEC projector...etc. I do note the test pattern is a 2K pattern, despite the 4K claim by the author.

My curiosity is definitely interested.

-Steve

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 10-13-2011 03:19 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think you can extract a package from one server and ingest it in another, they should all be standard packages. I can't see any reason to do that here, but I have Doremi pink noise test files I have used on other servers. I pulled these out of a Doremi server when I needed them: the original files on a USB stick were misplaced.
Using a 2k test pattern to set up a 4k projector screen file is fine, but a 4k pattern should be used for focus.

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-13-2011 03:56 PM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heard some more about this last night;

They are running a Dolby Server and a Christie Projector. The issue that happened was the server and the projector would not " talk " to each other and a replacement server was brought in.

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-13-2011 05:14 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Ron Lacheur
Heard some more about this last night;

They are running a Dolby Server and a Christie Projector. The issue that happened was the server and the projector would not " talk " to each other and a replacement server was brought in.

how rude [Wink]

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-13-2011 05:30 PM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't it? [Razz] That's how it was explained to me. I'm not up on DC ( obviously ) on a technical level so layman's terms it is!

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-13-2011 06:43 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why do the server and projector need to talk to each other? Does a DVD player need to talk to a TV? Of course not and it is no worse off because of it. All the server needs to do is embed the picture format in the video signal (scope, flat, 3D, 2D, fps, etc) and then the projector automatically sets itself up for that format. How hard is that This would not take up much information or bandwidth at all. Multisync computer monitors from the 90's are apparently more advanced than a typical cinema projector because they could adapt on the fly without the BS. All of this back and forth talk does no good. But of course the industry has unnecessarily over-thought the equipment. What a surprise. The joke's on them.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 10-14-2011 01:35 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe, that' bullshit. Even the cheapest DVD Player needs to 'talk' to a TV - it either needs HDMI or analog setup properly, and the TV needs to be configured for the proper input and signal options, and in fact, HDMI itself does a lot of talking.
I don't want cinema to adhere to the same rules as domestic TV gear.

What happened there happens often on festivals - gear being installed on a temporary basis without enough testing and/or competent people at hand on a tight schedule.
There are 50.000 digital installs worldwide now. Sure they are all belly up...
Someone just took a risk there and lost.

- Carsten

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: