Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Stop with the exotic satellite feeds.

Author Topic: Stop with the exotic satellite feeds.
Joris Springer
Film Handler

- posted 10-01-2011 06:17 PM      Profile for Joris Springer   Email Joris Springer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After today I am personally so fed up with the special satellite feeds for special events like concerts/opera's and musicals.

Today I had to set up the satellite reciever to recieve the special event feed of Phantom of the Opera 25th anniversary at the Royal Albert Hall in London. And yes, I am convinced it is going to be amazing and I am glad we are going to show it.

But please, companies that transmit it, just put it on a channel that is used by other companies as well (make an event channel or something), don't put it on an exotic frequency that is not standard (or just encrypt it so we need a CAM card or something for it) and please, provide the correct information of the codec/frequency etc etc etc and don't give us incorrect information all the time that will make us doubt our equipment because we don't get any signal.

I love the fact that digital cinema enables us to show that kind of performances but please distributors, come up with a standard that everybody can use, please use 1 or 2 satellites with a fequency/channel that stays the same all the time. Because right now, I am not a fan, not even a little bit of the way I need to set it up.

|  IP: Logged

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 10-01-2011 06:31 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah! I'm on my third satellite and my second polarity/transponder change inside of a year.

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-01-2011 06:38 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Keep dreaming gentlemen. There is no "standard" and there never will be with anything related to digital for some time (if ever).

Jeff Kane
Film Handler

- posted 10-04-2011 02:45 PM      Profile for Jeff Kane   Email Jeff Kane   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Transponder time is expensive (especially so in Europe!) They'd have to lease the bulk of a transponder's time to be able to pre-empt other feeds/services and not 'move around'. If they only distribute programming sporadically, that's not cost effective. As an occasional user? They get capacity wherever it happens to be free and be thankful if it's on the same bird!

Either you get up there and realign, you go to a motorized dish, or you look like a CIA listening post with scores of fixed dishes aimed at various birds.

Jake Spell
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-06-2011 01:10 AM      Profile for Jake Spell   Email Jake Spell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think Carmike is doing the latter. I was one one of their building doing A/C work and saw that there were to 6 dishes. Their latest two are Hughes Net dishes with a Deluxe sticker on them.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: