Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Licence missing! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Licence missing!
Tommy Zackariasson
Film Handler

- posted 09-25-2011 08:14 AM      Profile for Tommy Zackariasson   Email Tommy Zackariasson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everybody

A Swedish projectionist here.
This is my first post here on this excellent forum.
I have an urgent problem: I have not recieved a licence for the feature "Gone" (Swedish title: Forsvunnen) and the show begins in 4 hours! After a lot of detective work I got hold of the cell phone number of the Swedish head of Disney distributions but he basically told me to f-k off because I called him on the weekend. Does anybody know of an email address or phone number for Disney in the US? I truly believe that they would be more cooperative! (At first I thought that Technicolor was the distributor, and they answered my mail right away though it was very early on Sunday morning over there).
Please, I don't want to cancel the show...

|  IP: Logged

Kris Verhanneman
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-25-2011 09:22 AM      Profile for Kris Verhanneman   Email Kris Verhanneman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Call your booking agent / the person that programmes the movies. He may have some more pressure for the key.

Tommy Zackariasson
Film Handler

- posted 09-25-2011 09:26 AM      Profile for Tommy Zackariasson   Email Tommy Zackariasson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes I did, No help there...I'm just about to start the smurfs now, I guess that will be all for today...

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 09-25-2011 10:37 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Even if you do get a hold of someone that create the key in the US, they will need your "certificate" in order to generate the key. If you don't have that file, they can't do a thing.

Edward Havens
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-25-2011 11:06 AM      Profile for Edward Havens   Email Edward Havens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Who normally generates your KDMs for Disney movies? And why doesn't your theatre have a list of contact numbers in your booth in case of an emergency like this?

Tommy Zackariasson
Film Handler

- posted 09-25-2011 11:13 AM      Profile for Tommy Zackariasson   Email Tommy Zackariasson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok thank you guys, I guess the lesson to learn here is to watch for the keys before the weekend...We just got our digital projector a few weeks ago, so Im kind of a newbie to all this, though Ive been projecting for over 10 years. Now it says CANCELLED on the front door...

Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-25-2011 11:27 AM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think he has numbers for situation like this, because I see you called somebody who didn't want to help, because of weekend.....agrrr! Anyway, KDM after you send cerf file to distributor is theire concern, and tomorrow call them and give them lesson about you canceled show. Before few weeks I did run one festival, we had issues with some films, even there was weekend and 7PM french guys did send us five KDM-s in two hours, we were on phone with them......and don't ask me why 5th did work, and previous didn't work.....but still great exapmple of co-operation between distributor and cinema.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 09-25-2011 08:52 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Guttag
Even if you do get a hold of someone that create the key in the US, they will need your "certificate" in order to generate the key. If you don't have that file, they can't do a thing.
In principle, it would likely be possible to generate a key that would work for any server, anywhere, for a specified time period. Not that this would ever happen in real life, of course, because of those evil movie pirates who are out to destroy the industry.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-25-2011 09:14 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
During the last large install where we were switching from film to digital sometimes in the middle of a run we were able to get KDM's in just 5 min. time from Technicolor.... We gave them the server SN and they e-mailed the KDM pronto. They are excellent to say the least.

Mark

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 09-27-2011 05:48 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the US...the majors have the certificates for the various players...I would presume that there is a similar system in Europe. How I discovered the whole certificate thing is when one of my art houses played a Euro movie...the Euro distributor (or possibly the film creators themselves) required the certificate to create the movie...only the server manufacturer can get you the certificate. Once I sent them the .CER file...the KDM came back almost instantly across the pond. So I insist on having the .CER file for all of my art houses to avoid this little problem again.

-Steve

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-27-2011 10:33 AM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with Mark here. We had no problems getting keys from the distributors when we were doing the mad switch from good old film to digital.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-27-2011 12:39 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Technicolor and Fox (and maybe others) also have websites where you can download your keys. I've also had keys go in to the "junk" mail folder for no apparent reason before.

Tommy Zackariasson
Film Handler

- posted 09-28-2011 02:04 PM      Profile for Tommy Zackariasson   Email Tommy Zackariasson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Mike, I know about the junk-mail risk, not the case this time. We talked to them and they're sorry and can't tell why it wasn't sent. Anyway, now it's safely loaded on the server and ready for a new shot on saturday. We did quite well on Sunday anyway with over 200 souls watching the smurfs.

Tommy

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 09-28-2011 02:10 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Depending on what software runs the mailserver that receives your email, you may be able to whitelist email from particular addresses. Anything whitelisted will (should) not be scanned by the spam filtering software before going into your individual mailspool.

It's highly site-dependent so you might want to check with your mail provider's technical support to find out if and you can whitelist addresses.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 09-28-2011 04:30 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Setup a dedicated account for KDMs and disable ANY spam filters for it.

- Carsten

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: