Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » DCP naming convention questions

Author Topic: DCP naming convention questions
Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 09-21-2011 01:28 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is pretty well covered at this web site, but they leave out a few important options:

- how is the soundtrack to be coded for a DCP with no sound? 00? XX?

- how is the rating to be coded for a DCP with no rating? the appendix says not to use "XX" due to possible confusion with the "X" rating, but does not say what to do in the case of an unrated feature.

Is there a standard or de-facto standard for these situations?

|  IP: Logged

Jussi Siponen
Film Handler

- posted 09-21-2011 02:02 PM      Profile for Jussi Siponen   Email Jussi Siponen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd say just leave out any parts of the name coding for features your DCP doesn't have.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 09-21-2011 02:30 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You add the separate ratings tags to your playlist build-they're not included on the feature content.

The "XX" is a wildcard symbol where you place the appropriate tag needed for the feature.

Also, the "X" rating is long gone. Now replaced with the "NC-17" rating

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 09-21-2011 05:10 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What about movies that were actually Rated X? Are they now re-listed as NC-17?

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 09-22-2011 02:50 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I may be wrong, but to my knowledge there is (read: should be) no DCP without audio track - even if it is all digital zero. Minimum is a stereo track.

- Carsten

Scott Norwood
Film God

- posted 09-22-2011 03:23 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm...that is interesting. Do you have a reference for the track requirement? I see nothing in DCI spec 1.2 that requires it, unless I am mis-reading something. There are, of course, requirements that pertain to soundtracks, but nothing that seems to require that they exist in the DCP.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-22-2011 04:25 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Monte L Fullmer
You add the separate ratings tags to your playlist build-they're not included on the feature content.
He's not talking about the rating card that appears on screen. He's just asking about the portion of the DCP file name that indicates the rating of the feature. Good question. I'd like to know the answer, too.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 09-22-2011 04:31 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Question: wouldn't it be just to look at the one-sheet, or booking status to see what rating the film would be?

It could be that the services who load the files on the HD and create the filename doesn't have that rating info-why the tags aren't not at the end of the feature's file.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 09-22-2011 04:41 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure where I picked it up. I do know that some servers don't like it when the DCP comes without audio, or better, when the CPL doesn't address it. As far as single inventory and safe operation goes, I would simply avoid it.

As far as DCI 1.2 goes, though, my statement is incorrect:

---
5.3.1.3. Reel
A Reel is a conceptual period of time having a specific duration, as defined below:
• Track Files are required to be associated with a particular Reel.
• A Track File is required to not cross over a reel boundary that is a playable portion of a track file, between the mark in and mark out points.
• Reels are required to be composed of one or more Essence Track Files (e.g., Picture Only, Sound and Picture, Sound and Picture and Subtitle, etc.)
---

- Carsten

Scott Norwood
Film God

- posted 09-22-2011 05:27 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Dolby server plays DCPs with no track perfectly well. It's good to know, though, that not all servers will, although that strikes me as a bug that should probably be reported and fixed. It seems reasonable that a silent movie or snipe should be able to be made into DCP form without needing to add a digital silence track.

Monte--I'm toying with creating DCPs with various freeware tools. I am not playing back DCPs from distributors.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 09-22-2011 06:39 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Scott Norwood
I'm toying with creating DCPs with various freeware tools
Okey..gotcha.

Thus, wonder if you could just simply add a letter in the filename string itself designating the rating when creating the filename.

Terrence Meiczinger
Film Handler

- posted 09-25-2011 05:05 PM      Profile for Terrence Meiczinger   Author's Homepage   Email Terrence Meiczinger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Carsten Kurz
I'm not sure where I picked it up. I do know that some servers don't like it when the DCP comes without audio, or better, when the CPL doesn't address it. As far as single inventory and safe operation goes, I would simply avoid it.

As far as DCI 1.2 goes, though, my statement is incorrect:

---
5.3.1.3. Reel
A Reel is a conceptual period of time having a specific duration, as defined below:
• Track Files are required to be associated with a particular Reel.
• A Track File is required to not cross over a reel boundary that is a playable portion of a track file, between the mark in and mark out points.
• Reels are required to be composed of one or more Essence Track Files (e.g., Picture Only, Sound and Picture, Sound and Picture and Subtitle, etc.)
---

- Carsten

Currently, the DCI specification allows for no audio track. There have been discussions that a future revision to the specification will require an even number of audio channels with 2 channels being the minimum. It isn't quite clear if that means a DCP will then require an audio essence or if that only matters when you do have an audio essence.

As for DCP naming, there no specification per se, only a convention. It is not a requirement to follow it.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: