Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Centralized booth equipment control - looking for advice (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Centralized booth equipment control - looking for advice
Bajsic Bojan
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-18-2011 05:01 AM      Profile for Bajsic Bojan   Email Bajsic Bojan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are now in the process of upgrading our single screen theater to digital (we will keep 35mm as we are arthouse location with about 5 international festivals a year and local distribution is still 80% analog).

The thing that i am currently investigating is what kind of control system would be best suitable for our enviroment and what other people use to control and monitor the digital projection equipment in other single screeners. I am not interested in automation, but rather to have only one (remote) location where i could do the following:

- control of digital projectors functions (setup, calibration, upgrades or whatever, regular functions for 'playback' ie play, stop, rewind,...)
- control of server (setup, calibration, upgrades, playlist management, KDM ingest, movie ingest throught ftp,...)
- control of alternative content switcher (setup, channels, aspect changing,...)
- control of external qnap library system (some extra 10TB of storage in raid5, accessable by ftp probably?)
- control of sound processor (servicing and calibration,...)

All of these devices can be remotely controled through the network (ethernet). I was thinking of puting up a computer with a big touch screen in one of the central racks in the booth (i was thinking of 3; one for sound processors and amplifiers, one for existing video equipment and playback devices, one for digital servers, library, remote monitoring box, ups, and this computer) and running all control from this central rack computer.

How does that sound?

Or is rs232 and direct connections to a computer the way to go?

Am i expecting too much and this wont be possible?

Any feedback will be much appreciated.

|  IP: Logged

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 09-18-2011 08:12 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It sounds as if you want an automation system like Crestron or AMX with touch panels to control everything.

Most implementations of either are pretty terrible, but you could probably get either to do what you want if you specify your requirements correctly and get a dealer/programmer/installer who have experience with cinema systems.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-18-2011 08:13 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With an NEC/GDC combination you can have complete control. The projector has a built in web server that offers power, lamp, lens control and channel change or you can have DCC loaded on your remote computer as well to offer complete control. The server can be controled with VNC viewer... just like having the actual operating screen in front of you. VNC is freeware.

Mark

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 09-18-2011 08:43 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't quite get it. You have one screen and want a complete remote control console set up somewhere other than at the projector?
Why?
Anyway, the projector pretty much takes care of itself. You "don't want automation" but every server has automation that controls the projector functions (lamp, dowser, input & processing) directly through ethernet. You might be able to avoid using this automation but I can't think of a reason to even try. The server does most everything as far as "film" goes: assembling the presentation with ads & trailers & snipes & feature, play stop, rewind etc: the digital projector functions would correspond to lamp on/off, dowser, and lens/aperture changes. The servers have a scheduling system built in or shows can be started "manually". What is called "automation" with film projection is just part of the digital system already, you don't have to configure it to operate external devices like sound and lighting but you can.
Setting up an NAS library is theoretically simple but ingest from NAS to the server is done manually from the server: a TMS/LMS system can push content to a server but I don't know how to configure a server to pull it automatically.
Most switchers have some sort of remote control capability. I would control this from the server - set up a server macro for each input desired that calls up the required projector channel/preset and switcher input, you would still need to control the source device.

You want to be at the projector whenever doing upgrades. It's likely you'll be doing repeated reboots (switch off then on) during this procedure.

You can control every server brand I've worked with remotely from any computer on the projection network using VNC.
Barco and series II Christie projectors have ways to get the console on a networked computer. Probably the other brands do as well.
The question I have is what do you want to do. You already have a central point where all functions can be controlled - the projection booth. You have one screen. If you want to have an unoccupied booth it's easy to VNC to the server and control it from anywhere, the server controls all normal projector functions. It's easy to connect a pushbutton anywhere that can start the show. Setting up a schedule iworks great if you can have set showtimes - but singles usually like to wait for candy lines to clear etc.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-18-2011 10:39 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All of the single screen installs I have done include full remote downstairs. Why not? The cost is minimal and it can lessen the necessary workforce required in a smaller operation. The same computer also functions so I can remote in if there are ever any equipment issues. Indeed I can remote into ANY of my customers equipment and see whats going on from my Android smart phone! I also do remote firmware upgrades... No need to be standing next to any of the equipment that I typically install to do any upgrades. Almost all equipment being sold today and some older gear can be remotely upgraded.

Mark

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-18-2011 12:07 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, you forgot your contractual GDC/NEC plug in the last post.

Again, ALL of the equipment has the capability. There is nothing special about GDC/NEC over Doremi, Dolby, Barco, etc.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 09-18-2011 02:58 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It should be noted...VNC capability on Dolby is something new with software 4.3.2.2. Dolby has traditionally used a Jupiter Client for remote control. The advantage of the Jupiter Client is it is a true separate client where as VNC is a sharing of one client (the one that is operating). I honestly prefer the Jupiter client unless I'm going to be connecting to multiple units without Dolby's DSL (or Dolby's mini-network). Loading Jupiter is slower than typical VNC programs but once loaded, it is faster than VNC (the program is running on your computer rather than having to transmit screen draws back and forth). Also there aren't any conflicts or "fighting".

As others have said, remote control is very doable with most any system, at this point. They all seem to be getting closer to being similar in that fashion (like Dolby allowing VNC like the others).

Crestron/AMX type automations are completely dependent on the person doing not only the coding but the GUI to go with it. This is true of ALL Crestron/AMX systems.

-Steve

Bajsic Bojan
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-18-2011 03:41 PM      Profile for Bajsic Bojan   Email Bajsic Bojan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First of all thank you for such quick replies and input.

@dave:
I know i made a mistake in my op (couldn't edit as 5 minutes have passed after i submitted the post), i know the server and not the pj is responsible for the playback of material.

The 'remote' control would be situated next to the projector, wouldn't go anywhere outside of the booth with it, but would like the option to (esp for playlist management).

I know the server is the 'central' part of the booth now and thank you for the info that one can programme macros on the server to execute on an alternative content switcher. The thing is the server's tiny screen (i dont even know if our server will be one with a screen) is certainly not the place i want to be at when doing all the ingests, playlists, starting shows, switching between sources for a show of 20 3minute shorts, with talks in between, etc.

That's why atm a computer is located conveniently in the middle of the booth, connected to an existing video projector (for channel selection, on the fly color and position changes,...), sound processor for changing sources and volume control (and occasional calibration if need be). This eliminates going to the projector with a remote to select channels, or to the sound processor to change volume etc, as you can have both windows open on the comp at the same time.

So, my question is basically, is a computer with ethernet access and a touchscreen what i need to control the Server? Is it overkill? Can i just plug in a mouse, keyboard and a monitor to a server directly? And still have access to all of the functions of my projector, server, library storage, switcher, sound processor, amp monitor?

Of course i dont need the access to projector and sound processor all the time, i don't need to look at my storage and configure it all the time, i don't need the switcher all the time. But i guess the server is not the intended device to control this also. What i know is that a computer has so far been very helpful to have in booth, next to all the equipment, in order to monitor, make adjustments, do calibration when needed. Until I am convinced otherwise I will most certainly keep one in the middle of my rack for those purposes, but am certainly eager to see how other people are running their booths and if they have other solutions. I have for instance seen booths that are controlled by a touchpad and calibrations being done using the same touchpad (less sofisticated multiplex with just regular shows, no events in the hall). Seems like an option, but dont know how easy/stable to run a show with ie 10 shorts from different HD and SD sources with talks in between, with just that.

'Shortcut solutions' like pre-programmed crestrons that Scott mentioned might do the trick in some cinemas, but i like to keep as many options as possible available to me. I agree those are programmer dependent, but I'd rather not be looking at those.

Any additional comments very welcome.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-18-2011 08:45 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have a downstairs computer. I use it to build playlists and "tweak" them during the week, or even during the show if necessary. I've gotten pretty good at stopping the show, deleting (or adding) a trailer and starting up again with nobody the wiser.

It saves me a few trips up and down the stairs every week which is nice. And, I figure not using the switches/buttons on the projector is a good thing. I'd rather wear out a mouse on a computer than a super-overinflated switch in the projector.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 09-18-2011 08:46 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't see a real benefit in the touchscreen. Touchscreens are for the computer illiterate. However, If you think you need it, get a WIN7 system and one of these cheap touch-monitors designed for WIN7.

You might want to install a second network card/adaptor on that PC to separate the screen network from the general network. Other than that, VNC+ Projector Control Software +Teamviewer or the like will serve all your needs.

The new Doremi software has a macro operation panel (not yet documented), so there is even less need for a dedicated control machine.

However, it is handy for FTP ingest, alternate content, etc. pp.

- Carsten

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-18-2011 09:23 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't quite agree Carsten. Touch screens actually speed up doing things quite drastically. At McDonalds they might be for the computer illiterate but in the theater no, in both cases they speed things up. In our industry you still have to know what you are doing touch screen or mouse.

As to the remote computer... I have customers who's booths are 3 and 4 stories up... Of course they want a remote...

Mark

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 09-18-2011 09:48 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike: What kind of a projector do you have that has actual switches on it? My Christie is entirely controlled through its little touchscreen monitor and as far as I've ever noticed it doesn't have any physical switches at all.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 09-19-2011 01:35 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sony's uses touchscreen monitors for their units..just wish they could be a bit bigger, for you have to use a stylus (I use a long stick "Q-tip", or similar since the attached stylus is on a short spirial cord) to do the I/O stuff.

I can really fly on the screen doing playlists, operations, and other stuff that the SONY works with. You even do bulb alignments on this screen (at least the "Z" alignment where "X-Y" are still with allen wrench through an access port behind the unit..) with easy results.

-monte

Pietro Clarici
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-19-2011 06:30 AM      Profile for Pietro Clarici   Author's Homepage   Email Pietro Clarici   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Carsten Kurz
The new Doremi software has a macro operation panel (not yet documented), so there is even less need for a dedicated control machine.
If you are referring to the new "Control" tab on Cinelister's main interface, I saw it on the latest training slides, but I can't find it in 2.2.2. Is there a "unofficial" way to enable it?

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 09-19-2011 02:53 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Barco has switches for lamp, dowser, lens, and the first 6 presets ("channels")plus one to cycle through a few test patterns. The touchscreen is an (expensive) option. It is not really required as (essentially) the same software runs on a PC or Mac with the same UI as the touchscreen, you connect via ethernet or serial (with slower response).

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: