Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Extracting frames from DCP

Author Topic: Extracting frames from DCP
Walter Rabey
Film Handler

- posted 09-17-2011 09:32 PM      Profile for Walter Rabey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Everyone,

First post here on the forums!

I was wondering if anyone knows of a practical way to extract the frame sequence from a DCP (not encrypted). I have already worked out the process in creating DCP's, but going the other way, I have not had much luck finding anything which can both extract the frames, and preform the XYZ->RGB colour space conversion. I know EasyDCP Player+ can do this, but it's far too expensive for me.

Thanks!

|  IP: Logged

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 09-18-2011 08:18 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have not yet actually done this, but look at the docs and source code for OpenDCP and you will get a pretty good idea of how to unwrap the MXF file and convert the colorspace and file types of the jpeg2000 image files. This should all be easily do-able with open-source tools, as long as the DCP is unencrypted.

If you can't figure it out in a couple of days, post here and I will see what I can do to help. I am sort of swamped at the moment, however, and am still playing with DCP creation tools.

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-18-2011 11:03 AM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think asdcptest from one of the open dcp tools can do it.
Otherwise I've done it with FFMpeg and convert from the ImageMagick suite.

ffmpeg -i /location/source.mxf -vcodec tiff frame%8d.tiff

Then make a batch or shell script to loop through each frame and run this command:

convert /location_of_frames/framenumber.tiff -type TrueColor -alpha Off -gamma -0.454545 -recolor "3.2404542 -1.5371385 -0.4985314 -0.9692660 1.8760108 -0.415560 00.556434 -0.2040256 1.0572252" -gamma 2.6 output_location/franenumber.tiff"

Then do what you will after that.

If you're hoping to re-encode to AVI or something watchable on your PC or what have you mind the entrypoints in the CPL's as audio and video can have different ones which will throw you off sync.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: