Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Correct Aspect Ratio for The Lion King 3D (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Correct Aspect Ratio for The Lion King 3D
Jason Raftery
Film Handler

- posted 09-15-2011 03:07 PM      Profile for Jason Raftery   Email Jason Raftery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,

I am a bit confused over what aspect ratio to project The Lion King 3D at. I am using a NEC NC2500S-A projector and a Dolby 3D system on a side masked screen.

The documentation I received from Technicolor says to run it at 1.85:1 and the included framing chart and trailers are formatted as standard 1.85:1 flat. However, when the actual feature hits the screen right after the Disney bumper, I have black pillars on either side of the projected image. The image does fill the full height of the screen, just not the width. Switching to 1.78:1 on the fly resolves the width problem and fills the full masked screen at the expense of some loss of material at the top and bottom of the screen. To complicate matters, when the credits roll at 1.85:1, they do not start at the bottom of the screen or end at the top--the image is fully windowboxed on all four sides. Projecting the credits at 1.78:1 results in them starting right at the base of the screen and ending at the top with no cut off.

It's my understanding the diamond edition blu-ray of The Lion King that comes out next month is formatted at 1.78:1.

Are the black pillars just an artifact of converting from the 1.66:1 original and the credits being fully windowboxed the result of conversion to blu-ray at 1.78:1? Or is this feature not supposed to be run at 1.85:1 as Technicolor claims?

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-15-2011 05:05 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It would be difficult to believe that even the original would have been 1:66 aspect ratio as they is only a common European format. Disney produced that here in the States and the standard here is 1:85 for flat. Someone mucking with the original again I suspect!!

Mark

Jason Raftery
Film Handler

- posted 09-15-2011 06:26 PM      Profile for Jason Raftery   Email Jason Raftery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, you're right the original theatrical release was 1.85:1. I was thinking of the 1.66:1 Platinum Edition DVD release where Disney supposedly took the full frames straight from the film negative.

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-15-2011 07:06 PM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Noticed myself that the trailers we are runing have black on the sides (image not full width).

We haven't started showing the feature yet.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 09-17-2011 02:28 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On my presentations of "LK" - both in 2D and 3D, I do notice that the image isn't filling the screen's sides completely. I have thin black bars on each side of the screen.

Thus, it does look like the feature was formatted up to 1.78:1, instead of a normal 1.85:1 for conventional flat digital presentations.

Ron Funderburg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-17-2011 09:30 AM      Profile for Ron Funderburg   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Funderburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like it was mastered from a TV print and not the original 35mm theatrical print.

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-17-2011 11:27 AM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They do seem to use varied aspect ratio's for flat Disney films. I did have LK on Letterbox VHS but can't remember what ratio that transfter was in. I do think I had Hercules or another movie from around that same time that was transfered in 1.66

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 09-17-2011 09:44 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I ran the original LK 35mm back in 1994 and the frames were hard matted for, it looks like, a 1.75:1 presentation since I had 1.85:1 uncut apertures and had frame turning room with the knob before the edge of the bars were exposed.

But, it could have been 1.66:1 when prints were struck.

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-17-2011 09:57 PM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Disney floating windows

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 09-17-2011 10:04 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw THE LION KING in 3-D today at the Pearl Highland theatre. Before the feature started, all of the trailers (in 3-D) were shown i what appeared to be the 1.85 ratio but when the feature started, the picture did not fill the entire screen because there was a sliver of blank screen on the right and left.

By the way, I thought the 3-D was very good. There were parts that was excellent and other sections was very good. Did this release have a 7.1 Dolby track because I thought the sound was great.

-Claude

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-17-2011 11:06 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
according to Dolby's website, it is being released in 7.1

I saw this on AMC's Tyson's ETX screen and I thought the bass for the film was weak - I remember hearing the film in it's initial theatrical release and the bass was a lot tighter and had a lot of oomph - here though it didn't

In terms of the aspect ratio - the image filled the entire ETX screen (1.78) but the bottom I noticed fell slightly off the screen.

as for the 3D - I thought it fine, not good, but definitively not great. On the whole I thought the 3D effect was pretty sporadic. I also thought the sharpness of the picture was on the hazy side at times.

Jason Raftery
Film Handler

- posted 09-18-2011 01:03 AM      Profile for Jason Raftery   Email Jason Raftery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dan, thanks for the link to Disney's explanation regarding floating windows. I guess that explains why the black pillars I'm getting are wider on the 3D version than the 2D (the 2D version is not a true 1.85:1 -- there's still a bit of black on either side of the image).

The windowboxing in the credits also remains a mystery.

For Claude, Jonathan is correct, there is a 7.1 version of the DCP available.

As a side question, does anyone know what frequency the test tone plays at for the LFE channel on Disney's framing chart? I couldn't hear anything in the house I screened LK in during that portion of the sound check.

Edward Havens
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-18-2011 11:40 AM      Profile for Edward Havens   Email Edward Havens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Lion King was produced in 1.66:1 back in the 1990s, as was Aladdin.

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-18-2011 12:31 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Saw it in 2D. The image was absolutely stunning, but the sound mix was all over the place. Notably, the deep bass I remember hearing in the opening sequence was non existent. I know this room was capable of deep bass, but it was just plain flat. Some later sequences sounded great, but it was kind of all over the place.

AJG

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-18-2011 12:46 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought the sound overall was a little softer than normal. We are playing this at 7.0 which would normally be a little too loud (we're normally at 5.8 to 6.3) but it sounds fine.

The bass sounded OK to me during the action scenes but I thought it was kind of weak during the songs.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: