Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Using Christie ACT to Select 5.1 or 7.1 on CP750

Author Topic: Using Christie ACT to Select 5.1 or 7.1 on CP750
Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 09-07-2011 03:35 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm trying to configure a Christie ACT to interface with a Dolby CP750 over ethernet. I believe I have it configured to switch the buttons on the front of the processor and to adjust fader values. However, I am still trying to figure out how to select 5.1 or 7.1 sound.

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 09-07-2011 05:19 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have not worked with the ACT, myself but I believe it can handle both RS232 and Ethernet. At this point, I'm more of an Ethernet person for this sort of thing...one already has a switch at the theatre and plugging in an Ethernet cable is as easy as plugging in an RS232...plus with Ethernet things are more monitorable, remotely.

In any event, I believe you define your action as an RS232(audio) or Ethernet. If you use Ethernet, use port 61408.

The command is the most hideously long thing...for 5.1:

cp750_sys_pcm_2_channel_decode_mode_1 lr_discrete

For Surround 7.1:

cp750_sys_pcm_2_channel_decode_mode_1 4_discrete_sur

The CP750 will NOT switch back on the next show so you will need to revert it back to 5.1 for the previews.

-Steve

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 09-08-2011 02:21 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When programming ethernet commands, it's using a period instead of an underscore to separate segments. Do you know which parts of those commands represent different segments?

For example: to switch to digital 1 "cp750.sys.input_mod dig_1"

Steve Guttag

- posted 09-08-2011 03:52 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oooops...it isn't an Ethernet thing...I mistyped...

The correct commands are:

cp750.sys.pcm_2_channel_decode_mode_1 lr_discrete

cp750.sys.pcm_2_channel_decode_mode_1 4_discrete_sur

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 09-08-2011 07:38 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Steve. It took a little time figuring out how write the scripts for the ACT, but I got this working.

One oddity I've found with the CP750 and GDC server is the GDC doesn't like to tell the 750 to switch to Digital 1 or Non Sync, but will set the audio levels. And I was having trouble getting the ACT to set the audio level on the 750. So is configured it for the ACT to switch the audio format and use the GDC to set the audio levels.

Steve Guttag

- posted 09-08-2011 08:33 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have used the eCNA line of automations to talk to the CP750 and it switches volume, formats and modes just fine. Nothing special is done for one or the other. As such, I'm surprised at your description. I would double/triple check your naming and end characters. As I have aptly demonstrated above, it is real easy to get something that looks correct but is pure jibberish to a device that can not "spell check". Without exception, when I have had a situation where I get some serial commands to work and not others...it was a mistype from me.

-Steve

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-10-2011 08:00 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you're using serial commands you can do a quick test of them using almost any terminal program that is included in Windows before imbeding them in the ACT or other automation device. I too prefer the eCNA series of automations. Can do as much as the others can but much easier to deal with.

Mark

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-11-2011 09:16 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another thing I forgot to mention is that those using GDC servers have the ability to insert a serial control string of your own choosing in each macro or to make up independent serial control cues and these strings can be had at the serial out jack on the rear. Typically used to control small preshow projectors but the uses are obviously unlimited.

Mark

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-11-2011 09:59 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
GDC isn't the only server that can do serial Mark.

Oh wait, I forgot about the every-5th-post-GDC-plug thing in your contract. Nevermind.

BTW, did you know the GDC server can play DCP movies??? Yup, it's true.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-12-2011 07:18 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad... There's no reason for you to act three years old on here. The guy that started the thread happens to have GDC's and I wanted to be sure he was aware they could do it. Some people know and some do not.

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: