Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Correct ratio for Shark Night 3-D

Author Topic: Correct ratio for Shark Night 3-D
Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-04-2011 10:35 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I went to see SHARK NIGHT 3-D at Maya Cinemas in Bakersfield to dfay and wondered what the correct ratio was. The screen was in SCOPE configurationhj and the technical snipes (TI DLP Cinema, Dolby Digital Cinema, Dolby 3-D Glasses return, and all previews) looked correct in the scope format. HOWEVER, the movie didn't. Opening credits that were positioned towards the bottom of the screen were cut off in half. And heads were often cut at the top of the frame. Also, a scene with a dog lapping up something off the floor was not fully seen. I've seen 3-D in this theatre before, and they have projected 1.85 correctly. Was this film botched somehow, or is the theatre's presentation botched?

|  IP: Logged

Victor Liorentas
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-04-2011 11:04 PM      Profile for Victor Liorentas   Email Victor Liorentas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would say they botched it because it is the 1.85 format in Tech 3d! We have black bars on the sides of the frame.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 09-04-2011 11:05 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Shark Night is 3D Flat 1998.

Edward Havens
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-04-2011 11:54 PM      Profile for Edward Havens   Email Edward Havens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Off" is the correct ratio for Shark Night, 2D or 3D. But if one must project it, 3D Flat 1998x1080 is the way one should.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 09-05-2011 02:37 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, someone botched up the playlist and used the wrong template.

Someone didn't read the lens description on the HDD itself.

"Oh great".. Are we facing a new generation of "booth clowns": ones that can't read, or be taught how to read?

Victor Liorentas
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-05-2011 10:07 AM      Profile for Victor Liorentas   Email Victor Liorentas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes! [Frown]

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-06-2011 02:26 AM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The response they posted on their Facebook page:

"I'm very sorry that you had a bad experience sir, I checked out the issue myself just now and all of our settings are set for flat presentations. Please don't let this sour your feeelings about our theater, unfortunately operator error can occur in any industry."

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 09-07-2011 03:22 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Paul Linfesty
"...unfortunately operator error can occur in any industry."

...don't you just love these "buck passers?"

They should have taken down your information and sent you some passes for your "bad experiences...", instead of writing a letter of apology (on FB, no less - how cheap is that!) then following that apology with this flimsy excuse of poor operational control.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 09-08-2011 12:20 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd say they were bigger buck passers if they'd taken the info down and pushed it under the rug. Just my two cents.

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-08-2011 01:47 AM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
instead of writing a letter of apology (on FB, no less - how cheap is that!)
well, to be fair, I did post it on their Facebook...at the advice of a friend that told me they had a Facebook page. (I also mailed it through the postal service - since I've never gotten a response from using the CONTACT US feature of their website).

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 09-08-2011 02:01 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Chris Slycord
taken the info down and pushed it under the rug
..very true...

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-08-2011 02:42 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
writing a letter of apology (on FB, no less - how cheap is that!)
Actually putting a response on Facebook is very good. That way potentially hundreds or thousands of people could see them admitting there was a problem.

But they should have added, "Please watch your mail, we will be sending you a letter regarding this problem" and sent him some passes that way. (I don't think they should put "We sent you some free passes" on Facebook, because that could lead to dozens more people "having problems" and demanding passes. Sad, but that's the way the world is.)

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 09-08-2011 04:15 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
True .. and agree now thinking about it.

Social networking definitely has its pros and cons when used in the right moments.

Yea, the FB exposure definitly goes along with:

"You please one and he'll tell ten how good the experience was. But, you tick off one and he'll tell a hundred on the bad experience that he witnessed."

There's an 8plex in our market area where folks have voiced opinions on it's operational procedures - it's like that 8plex better clean up its act some.

Ya, just gotta be careful for sure...

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: