Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Muting eye/lens on Sony SRX-R320 3D Lens (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Muting eye/lens on Sony SRX-R320 3D Lens
Matt Skilton
Film Handler

- posted 08-30-2011 04:58 PM      Profile for Matt Skilton   Author's Homepage   Email Matt Skilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got a special event next week and it will involve using our Sony SRX-R320 projector to display third-party content via the DVI input. However, the lens on the projector is the 3D lens and I've been informed that this may reduce the quality of the presentation. I've heard about being able to mute one of the eyes/lens' which will help. Does anyone have any experience doing this (i.e how to actually do it) and any tips to get it looking as good as possible with the 3D lens??

Thanks for any help.

|  IP: Logged

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 08-30-2011 05:15 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your options are (AFAIK):
1) Change out the 3D lens for the 2D lens
2) Make the bulb run hotter/brighter to cover for the fact that the 3D lens will lead to light-loss.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 08-30-2011 05:49 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not even .. leave the lens setup alone. If you wanna play safe, put a new bulb in.

"Yellow Journalism" really gets spread around by the media and hurting the cinema business with what they think they know.

If you're doing VGA or other output, you need a scaler to convert that source to a DVI out. Sound just patches in on the Non/Sync of the processor.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-30-2011 06:55 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pretty much what Monte said. If the lens was installed properly and the convergence is nice and tight, all formats will look great. If not, all formats -- cinema and non cinema -- will suffer. All that needs to be done is to set up a projector Function that uses Input A, which is DVI. If you are not familiar with SRX controller and/or authorized to make configuration changes to the projector, you should leave this to a technician.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 08-31-2011 04:22 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Get a notebook or Desktop computer in the booth with DVI Out for a quick test before.

If you feel good about playing 2D content through the 3D lens - why should you bother?
If you're concerned about DVI image quality through the 3D lens - you should be concerned about leaving the 3D lens on the unit for 2D cinema content just as well.

- Carsten

Edward Havens
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-31-2011 11:56 AM      Profile for Edward Havens   Email Edward Havens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it's truly a special event, a showing that someone is paying your cinema a fair amount of money to hold, it is your cinema's responsibility to give those people the very best presentation possible. And if that means swapping out the 3D lens for the 2D lens, even if it means having to spend some time recalibrating the 3D again when you swap the lens back in after the event, so be it.

And frankly, I am honestly shocked anyone active in this forum, people who are supposed to be for giving customers the best presentation possible, every single show, no matter the format or equipment used, is brazenly suggesting it's okay to just leave a lens on that is proven and acknowledged to degrade light output. It doesn't matter if it's 80% or 20%, someone who is paying you to show their movie deserves nothing but THE ABSOLUTE BEST presentation possible. I mean, we should be doing that regardless the circumstances, but it shouldn't even be a question if your theatre is being hired for an event. The mere suggestion of willingly giving a less than best presentation makes me [puke]

Chase Pickett
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-31-2011 12:06 PM      Profile for Chase Pickett   Email Chase Pickett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with Edward on this. Swap out the lens. Putting in a fresh bulb and leaving the real D lens installed still won't give you near the light as swapping in the 2D lens. Also, muting an eye does not have a profound effect on light output. In fact I've only seen a very slight change in light output with an eye muted. Swapping out the lens will take you 20 minutes without you doing it before. Just make sure you have either your tech there to do it or the proper password to be able to get it calibrated properly.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 08-31-2011 02:21 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Chase Pickett
Also, muting an eye does not have a profound effect on light
"BZZT! Wrong answer, Hahns!"

Since the unit only has the one chip and both images are being used from that one chip, you mute out one eye, your light output drops in half.

Ever cover up one eye when you're shooting a 2d image on a screen and see how the pict suddenly drops in light quality?

Also, who has the tonnage of fundage to purchase a single lens setup from Sony? Hope the pockets are lined with green to do so.

You'll be fine with a twin lens setup for your event...

-Monte

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 08-31-2011 04:32 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yellow journalism? How about yellow projectionism?

Playing a movie and putting up static images are two different animals...the static image is harder as the eye is more apt to pick off the problems. Put up a 1-pixel wide cross hatch pattern and go down to the screen and see just how well those two lenses are converged over the ENTIRE picture.

Depending on the type of images being put up the problem of imprecise convergence of the two images will either be a big deal or not-visible (if you have a power point with big blocky letters...anything will do).

Next comes the resolution...what is the source resolution? A Sony with the 3D lens in place is only an 858 pixel tall projector...sufficient for XGA (1024x768) but insufficient for 1400x1050, 1920 x 1080 and a host of Mac formats. With a 2D lens, you should be able to output pixel for pixel most any format the computer walks in with since you have 4096 x 2160 pixels available.

Ever used the digital keystone corrector when displaying from a computer source on a data projector? You move that one tick and the picture immediately smears. On a movie, you are not going to notice it nearly as much as if someone has some picture or drawing up on that screen.

So...when a Sony gets a signal on the DVI connector...does it scale it to fill the imager or does it just put up a pixel-for-pixel version (or do you get a choice)?

-Steve

Chase Pickett
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-31-2011 04:39 PM      Profile for Chase Pickett   Email Chase Pickett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"BZZT! Wrong answer, Hahns!"
I was speaking in the adverse. As in it does not increase light and I was being a bit facetious. [Razz]

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 08-31-2011 05:32 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
An external scaler box, connected inbetween the source output and DVI out to the projector when programmed, scales up the image to fill the portion of the chip for twin lens usage.

One of these devices is what you need. Course, this device is for VGA computer output and not for composite.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-31-2011 06:59 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about you rent a DLP and do the job right instead of just getting by???

Mark

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 08-31-2011 07:28 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I still suggest a simple test ;-)

- Carsten

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-31-2011 08:07 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, if the customer is renting out the auditoriums and is supposed to have the ABSOLUTE BEST, I'm going to have to side with Mark here.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 09-01-2011 03:51 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
By all means, I agree as well - it's their money..

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: