Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Extract DCP from a doremi server

Author Topic: Extract DCP from a doremi server
Frederick Lanoy
Film Handler

- posted 08-25-2011 05:09 PM      Profile for Frederick Lanoy   Email Frederick Lanoy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello everybody,

When you have one server without a library, saving data on a long term could become a problem because of the lack of space.

So, this is my question : is it possible to extract data from a doremi and put it on an external Hard Drive Disk ?

I know it's possible with Dolby (offload function) but, with Doremi, i don't know how to do it.

Thanks for your help.

|  IP: Logged

Chase Pickett
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-25-2011 06:39 PM      Profile for Chase Pickett   Email Chase Pickett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just guessing here but that doesn't sound DCI Compliant to me- which the Doremi servers are- and maybe that's one reason why the Dolby show stores currently aren't DCI compliant. Like I said, just guessing because I have not read over the DCI Compliance standards as I do not own/purchase the equipment I work with.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 08-25-2011 06:43 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is possible on the Doremi through FTP - but the better solution is to make a backup from the DCP drive directly and not through the Doremi.
Unless you are receiving all content over satellite directly and get no drives with content.

DCI content is encrypted. No one cares if you copy it.

- Carsten

Chase Pickett
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-25-2011 06:46 PM      Profile for Chase Pickett   Email Chase Pickett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Danke -Chase

Frederick Lanoy
Film Handler

- posted 08-25-2011 07:06 PM      Profile for Frederick Lanoy   Email Frederick Lanoy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for your answer Carsten.

I already tried to copy the data directly from the DCP Drive on my computer (windows 7). It doesn't work. I can't access the content saved on the Drive. I guess, windows does'nt like the EXT 3...

Does it work without problem with a MAC (Linux) ?

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 08-25-2011 07:24 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can add ext3 to windows easily... well, ext2 really but they are effectively identical for backup purposes (ext3 is a journalling filesystem, ext2 is not).
You can pull packages out of the server. I think they are in /doremi/etc somewhere but I don't have a server here to be sure. These are stored as folders with the uuid as the name. You have to check in cinelister or somewhere to get the uuid for whatever content you want. Then just copy the entire folder to a stick or a USB external drive.

Arnoud Edens
Film Handler

- posted 08-26-2011 01:28 AM      Profile for Arnoud Edens   Email Arnoud Edens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can indeed copy the DCP from the server back to a (usb) drive.
Like Dave said, in the Cinelister you can see the UUID, and then the content is in /data/assets/<uuid>

That does require a little knowledge of linux. You need the root password, and need to remount your external drive to read/write mode. (mount /media/usb0 -o remount,rw)

FTP-ing it from the server is also possible, as that's what the servers do when you ingest from a server to another one over the network.

In the next software version (2.2?) there will be an official way to copy content from the server to an external drive using the GUI.
(Still waiting for that version though... They told me it should come out 'in about two weeks'.... but that was 8 weeks ago...)

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 08-26-2011 07:13 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
@Frederick: You need to install one of the free EXT filesystems for windows. No big deal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ext3#External_links

Copying over SATA is much faster than FTP. You might also buy a CRU frame for your windows machine so you can pop-in the DCP drives directly like on the server.
You can copy DCP content from an EXT drive to an NTFS drive and back without a problem.

Once the content is on the Windows machine, you can decide wether to ingest it onto the server through FTP, or copy it back to an ingest drive/CRU-carrier drive.

DX115 CRU frames and carriers are available on ebay.

http://www.cru-dataport.com/products/Data-Express-DX115.php

- Carsten

Frederick Lanoy
Film Handler

- posted 08-26-2011 08:35 AM      Profile for Frederick Lanoy   Email Frederick Lanoy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for your answers and your advices !

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: