Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » More on KDM's (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: More on KDM's
Justin Gorka
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-22-2011 03:23 PM      Profile for Justin Gorka   Email Justin Gorka   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know there is already a thread on this, but I am doing a little research on this topic.
Looking for input from non-projection trained people on their experiences with regard to using and obtaining KDMs.
For example if there is no dedicated projection personnel in the building when a KDM is needed what is your company/site procedure.
Most of us, who have been or are lucky enough to still be projectionists already know what to do. But, what happens when there is no one in the know on site?
I already know of many horror stories so not interested in those, just how do sites/companies cope with this issue?

|  IP: Logged

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 08-22-2011 03:25 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why should non-projection trained people need to deal with KDMs at all?

- Carsten

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 08-22-2011 04:18 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Justin Gorka
Looking for input from non-projection trained people
I would imagine that they know the "chain of command" of such to get the ones in charge on this matter to handle this issue.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-22-2011 05:40 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone who can operate a computer or a cell phone should be able to handle a KDM with ease.

Just write some brief instructions on how to download it and ingest it. Everybody carries a thumb-drive around these days so the person could just use his or her own thumb-drive, or maybe have one hanging on a hook somewhere in the theatre with "KDMs" written on it.

Justin Gorka
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-26-2011 06:19 AM      Profile for Justin Gorka   Email Justin Gorka   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not very helpful folks. I'm talking about they way kdms are issued and chasing them up not how to use the things. Remember the art of projection is ( sadly) dying so things like this will become a real issue before long, and in some cases now.

Brian Guckian
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-26-2011 07:10 AM      Profile for Brian Guckian   Email Brian Guckian   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, adding to what Monte said - if there are no Projectionists on duty at all, or not for extended periods of time, then one would have thought it was a Management responsibility.

One consequence of further de-staffing of the Projection area with digital is that Management subsumes duties formerly carried out by the Projectionist.

Can you give a little more detail about the scenario you're researching?

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 08-26-2011 07:26 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, basically you could have a dedicated email account where KDMs are being received or forwarded too. E.g. we would have a PC in the projection booth with this email account set up. There could also be a list of phone numbers to call, either trained personnel or the distributors.

But you know - as soon as someone is able to detect a missing KDM or use these means, he is no longer 'untrained personnel'.

So I have trouble to understand what you are after. If there is a KDM missing on site and no person in charge available - then that person in charge has made a mistake in not providing the KDM in time while he was on duty. The proper procedure would be to set up a remote connection for KDM ingest, or have the trained person arrive on site in time.

I mean, how would untrained personnel detect a 'missing' KDM at all? The projection system would not play, that's all untrained personnel would be able to detect. Could be any problem like this - blown lamp, automation failure, etc. They can't tell, they have to call someone.

It's not that you have a large red flashing 'Missing KDM on screen #4' in the ticket booth or concession.

- Carsten

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 08-26-2011 11:11 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the Cinedigm TCC...actually, there is a RED though not flashing message that will state in those words..."KDM Missing" and also say which show, screen number(s) will be affected.

-Steve

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 08-26-2011 11:40 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And the Cinedigm TCC is something untrained personnel would or should deal with?
Even the server itself will usually show that kind of message. But who expects 'untrained personnel' to take care of alerts like that and act accordingly?

- Carsten

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-26-2011 01:40 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Untrained personnel?" There shouldn't be anyone in the booth who isn't trained in at least the basics. I have several people who don't know EVERYTHING about our system but they know enough that I could talk them through most of the various procedures on the phone, or even by email if I had to.

quote: Justin Gorka
I'm talking about they way kdms are issued and chasing them up
Well -- they are usually issued by email, but I know that Technicolor has a website (keys.technicolor.com) where you can also download keys from if necessary. I assume the others have, or will have such sites.

Edward Havens
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-26-2011 02:02 PM      Profile for Edward Havens   Email Edward Havens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I suspect maybe Justin didn't get his point across the way he intended.

Whilst I agree that no one without any booth training belongs in a booth, this is a far more simple project. KDMs are issued by the company handling the distribution of the movie. In America, there is Technicolor, Deluxe and Cinedigm. For this instance, let's say Technicolor is handling the release of "Billy Bob's Big Adventure," and they've sent the movie file via hard drive. The KDM rarely is included with the hard drive. Technicolor usually sends an email to theatre personnel designated in their system as needing to acquire KDMs, but they've also been known to send the KDMs directly to the LMS via modem. So let's say, in this case, it's Thursday morning, and you've only just discovered you don't have the KDM for BBBA. You can...

1) Email Technicolor and ask them for the KDM
2) Call Technicolor and ask them for the KDM
3) Log on to Technicolor's KDM portal and download it yourself

Options 1 and 2 are also available for Deluxe and Cinedigm.

But seriously, one should have a tracking board for which digital titles have arrived, which ones have been uploaded, which one have been built up and transfered to their proper auditoria, and when the KDMs have arrived. And if any of those are blank within 48 hours of opening, start your due process then.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-26-2011 02:54 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Or they could get a NOC that deals with getting and verifying valid KDMs and content. [Razz]

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-29-2011 01:58 AM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is not rocket science...every week, usually on Wednesdays, someone checks the servers to make sure all keys are up to date. If a key is missing a call is put in to the responsible party-Deluxe, Technicolor, whatever-and the key is either emailed or sent via modem to the LMS (central library server).

With about 5 minutes of training anyone can handle this.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 08-30-2011 12:20 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...not to be mean, but do you think that they care any about this in the first place?

(Good luck with Cinedigm getting keys from them if you have to call for them for an email .zip file - takes a good deal of time, or they can send the wrong version. TECH is pretty good in this area... DeLuxe .. they do okey)

One can take this as a "it's not my job" thing and point fingers anywhere if the task was not done.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 08-30-2011 12:54 AM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At my location we only have 2 digital screens at this point. So far I handle all of the issues with KDMs, but I have taught my assistants how to do it and we have a digital contacts sheet which say specifically who to call for various issues.

When we receive KDMs, they go to my email account and then I have message filters set up to forward them to a theatre office email account. The assistants have access to this office email account and they can extract the keys from the zip file to the thumb drive and then ingest them.

We will have the remaining screens converted to digital and an LMS installed within weeks. When this happens, I will redo my procedures as needed.

I like Ed's idea of having a board to track the progress of digital content.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: